Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On May 23, 2016 at 3:30 AM, Gert Kombate said:

I've been using the a6300 for over a month now and i really have mixed feelings about it. The goods are awesome (1080P 60P, very sharp 4K 24p) and the bad...mmm(rolling shutter and jelly effect is atrocious! the 120P in 1080p full of moire and aliasing, the overall ergonomic of the camera is not really good. But at the end of the day what really matters is/ the stories you tell with your camera.

So here's a look at the first project shot entirely on the A6300+ 16-50 kit lens. mostly handled ~95%, and rarely on a mono-pod.

USEDEM

https://vimeo.com/167633861?type=3&theater

Your using a kit lens though. I wouldn't judge so harshly yet

6 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Your using a kit lens though. I wouldn't judge so harshly yet

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of the various lenses available for this camera from the point of view of the quality of the stabilization? I have plenty of decent MF lenses for more cinematic shots, with or without speed-boosting, but hand-holding these small cameras without in-body stabilisation is a nightmare. Obviously a gimbal would be a good idea, but you can never have too much stabilisation.

I picked it up a short while ago with the 16-50mm kit lens, the 35mm 1.8 OSS and the 35mm 3.5 macro. So far it worked flawlessly for me (mainly pictures, one cooking recipe video) except for the humongous rolling shutter but I actually realized I nearly always shoot static from a tripod anyway.

• 2 months later...

About firmware update ILCE6300 V1.10 : updates that are not described in the release note and probably Sony does not like to speak about:

What I describe here affects the camera when used together with

a: Auto-Focus Mount Adapter EF-NEX for Canon EF lenses to Sony NEX Mount

and/or

b: speedbooster (in green mode).

1.Camera set at : Movie mode and setting: movie/hfr>aperture priority

Supposing you have a lens with f=2,8 on the adapter.

a. Firmware v1.00 (previous): While you turn the dial knob to set the aperture (e.g. at desired  f=11) you read the desired value on the screen but in fact the aperture will stay at 2,8. It will be really set at the moment you press the REC button (and you will hear the slight noise of the  aperture blades). So there is no way to have depth of field preview.

b. Firmware v1.10 (new): While you turn the dial knob to set the aperture (e.g. at desired  f=11) the aperture blades are set real time. So before you press the REC button, you have depth of field preview.

So with the new firmware there is a different way in handling the aperture during movie mode: The real aperture value is now set before you press the REC button.

2. On my previous comment on March 2016 at the link:
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/19110-sony-a6300-4k/?do=findComment&comment=137969

I describe a firmware V1.00 bug that: PAL switched to NTSC a6300 camera would not set the correct aperture on 24p movie modes.

This bug was fixed with the new firmware.

Hope my notes will help some people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2016 at 0:39 PM, Phil A said:

I picked it up a short while ago with the 16-50mm kit lens, the 35mm 1.8 OSS and the 35mm 3.5 macro. So far it worked flawlessly for me (mainly pictures, one cooking recipe video) except for the humongous rolling shutter but I actually realized I nearly always shoot static from a tripod anyway.

Curious what cameras handle rolling shutter in 4K well. It seems like rolling shutter is a complaint on many recent bodies. 

27 minutes ago, teddoman said:

Curious what cameras handle rolling shutter in 4K well. It seems like rolling shutter is a complaint on many recent bodies. 

The Sony FS5 is worlds better. So is the Panasonic GH4 (didn't check the newer ones). Obviously the BMD Production Camera 4k has global shutter which eliminates the problem completely.

Currently evaluating one hand gimbal vs monopod vs shoulder/chest rig (like the one posted for the BMD Micro Cinema Camera) to make it more stable and usable. It would be easier to manage if the 1080p mode wasn't so so bad.

11 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I think it pretty much makes it essential that (if you don't use a tripod all the time) you have some serious stabilisation for this camera. Fortunately the Zhiyun crane and the A6300 seem to be made for each other; when otherwise the camera's light weight would make it really shaky, the new gimbal is optimised for cameras this sort of size, and together they are not going to break the bank.

14 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Wow, a great chart. Low ms means rolling shutter isn't as bad?

Chart seems to suggest shooting in 1080p will give you less rolling shutter than shooting in 4K, for the same camera. 

That or get a BM camera which seems to do as well as some other cameras do in 1080.

6 hours ago, teddoman said:

Wow, a great chart. Low ms means rolling shutter isn't as bad?

Chart seems to suggest shooting in 1080p will give you less rolling shutter than shooting in 4K, for the same camera. 

That or get a BM camera which seems to do as well as some other cameras do in 1080.

Tends to be at the price of image quality - the more pixels you read the longer it takes. Sony reads more pixels than most for a 6k downsample to 4k. Most of the 1080p images are produced by some sort of skipping, so they only read a fraction of the pixels.The NX1 also does a 6k downsample and is a bit more impressive, but the A6300 is not bad for a 6K readout compared with some of the 4K readouts.