Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

Andrew 4K has more crop though? (if not 24p)... Also your camera will melt if you're shooting a lot outside. :confused:

I had hoped the 1080p would be super nice in camera, that's one of the main features I was hoping for.

Also does anyone know if there's CIZ on this cam? and can it be used in 4K as well? or is it only 1080p? Also how's the quality of that???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This looks like a great camera to pick up B-Roll, cramped locations, run/gun, especially when you can't fit/get/get away with a focus puller.

Or even a Director's viewfinder; the sensor size is close enough to all the other close-enough cinema 35mm. Great for DP, scouting locations too. 

Some of you have ridiculous expectations. It's a $1K camera. Obviously it's going to involve compromises. Those drawbacks might not work for your project, but that's on you if you somehow expected a perfect camera for $1K. "How could it not have X, how could it not have Y" ... because these aren't professional cinema cameras. It's a consumer camera that has some pro features. Don't get it backwards. If it isn't your perfect camera out-of-box, and you're not willing to tinker with it or work around it's issues, then get one that does. 

But the 4K quality, low-light and usable video autofocus will give it a place in the market. I certainly am looking to add it to my bag. There are only three other cameras who have all those features: Canon C300 ii ($16K), the upcoming Canon 1DXII ($6K), and the Sony A7Rii ($3K). 

And those cameras have their own issues. It's valuable to talk about the limitations, no question. But the pissing and moaning? Lord. Nobody's forcing you to do anything. 

There will probably be some talented folks who will shoot a feature film with just this, and it'll look great, because they'll know how to work around its limitations. Ever since the Canon 5K Mark II came out, there's been a terrific growth of indie filmmaking, because people are willing to manipulate these non-pro video machines to effectively tell stories.

And big ups to people who actually shot with this...a lot of great, usable footage. Exciting. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, tweak said:

Andrew 4K has more crop though? (if not 24p)... Also your camera will melt if you're shooting a lot outside. :confused:

I had hoped the 1080p would be super nice in camera, that's one of the main features I was hoping for.

Also does anyone know if there's CIZ on this cam? and can it be used in 4K as well? or is it only 1080p? Also how's the quality of that???

I think 4K 24p Super 35 -> to the ultimate 1080p in post for $1k is a pretty good deal to be honest.

It's ok, but given it's downfalls I don't exactly think it's an amazing prospect as of now. Perhaps Sony will change my mind with some updates.

I'm still really interested about -
CIZ on this cam? and can it be used in 4K as well? or is it only 1080p? If so how's the quality of that???

If someone has this cam to test try it out and let us know. This is something that intrigues me and adds further value to the cam imo.

Just now, tweak said:

It's ok, but given it's downfalls I don't exactly think it's an amazing prospect as of now. Perhaps Sony will change my mind with some updates.

I'm still really interested about -
CIZ on this cam? and can it be used in 4K as well? or is it only 1080p? If so how's the quality of that???

If someone has this cam to test try it out and let us know. This is something that intrigues me and adds further value to the cam imo.

Yep, only just got the camera myself, so I havent got to grips with the menu enough to test if for you right now, but I found this:

and it's also mentioned on p27 & 72 of the manual which is avaliable to download :)

Here is a good example of how to use this camera.

Limit camera movement. Don't shoot handheld while running. No whip pans. It looks good.

Also, regarding color science, skin tones etc... most of the videos have been graded with a desaturated and cool look. But this one looks fine, with just some adjustments in camera and post. The color and skin tones look pretty accurate to me.

Hi Andrew,

it is just the third day that I own an a6300 and I have a couple of questions:

Please mind that

a. I have the PAL version of a6300 and yes there should be two versions (PAL and NTSC), because when I turn the camera to NTSC mode, every time it boots, an annoying notification appears: 'You are running on NTSC". A similar notification will not appear during boot, if the camera runs on PAL mode.

b. I do not have any Sony lens and I use the a6300 with canon lenses via an automatic adaptor (that I had been using with a nex camera): this adaptor works well, aperture, autofocus, EXIF data, with  the a6300.

So now to the questions:

1. I noticed that in movie auto exposure mode the camera will not change (correct) automatically the aperture value during movie shooting.The  iso will change if being set to auto and shutter speed will also change. But the aperture will stay the same, from the moment you will press the REC button.

(This would not happen in a canon camera in auto exposure movie mode and that is why i ask: in canon the aperture would change during movie shooting if set to auto)

However I can change the aperture  during capture, via the aperture selector of the a6300, if I start the movie capturing in A "aperture priority" mode, .

My question is: Is this normal?

2.  Here I think I have discovered a firmware bug: Camera will not set the correct aperture on 24p movie modes ( However the aperture will be set correctly in all other movie modes: 30p, 60i, 60p, etc.):

Supposing the camera  is set to 24p AVCHD or 24p XACV S (4K or HD) mode and we want to start movie capturing. We are at M manual mode (or A aperture priority).

We turn the selector to set the aperture to e.g. f=11.

Normally the aperture should close to 11 (via the motor of the lens) when we press the REC button and start capturing movie.

But this will not happen at all: We press the REC button, movie starts capturing, but the aperture will not work: it will not close to 11.

We also get an incorrect reading of the aperture on the screen.

(If we are on A (aperture priority) mode, we can set the aperture while capturing movie, with the aperture selector of the camera:

the aperture will move via the selector and close but we will get an incorrect  reading of the aperture on the screen: eg will show 22 but in fact the real value is 4.5.)

At first i thought it has to do with my "after market" adapter: But this bug happens only in 24p movie modes. the aperture will work correctly in all the other movie modes and with the same adapter.

So i think there must be a firmware bug happening in PAL version of the  a6300 that is switched to NTSC.

If someone has a PAL a6300 I would like to know also, if this happens with  a Sony lens in the same situation.

Best regards.

Just now, Epoca Libera said:

1. I noticed that in movie auto exposure mode the camera will not change (correct) automatically the aperture value during movie shooting.

2.  Here I think I have discovered a firmware bug: Camera will not set the correct aperture on 24p movie modes

I have the sony 50mm f1.8, the sigma e mount 19mm 2.8 and neither of these two things you have observed affect these lenses, however the first issue affects the Minolta 135mm STF T4.5 through a Sony LA-EA2 Adapter when the second A mode iris is engaged, even though the camera recognises that A mode has been engaged and adjusts the iris display to match. I cannot find a lens that replicates your second issue.

1 hour ago, DayRaven said:

I have the sony 50mm f1.8, the sigma e mount 19mm 2.8 and neither of these two things you have observed affect these lenses, however the first issue affects the Minolta 135mm STF T4.5 through a Sony LA-EA2 Adapter when the second A mode iris is engaged, even though the camera recognises that A mode has been engaged and adjusts the iris display to match. I cannot find a lens that replicates your second issue.

This would mean that the first issue is because of the adapter.

So with Sony lenses aperture changes automatically during movie capturing and auto exposure mode.

Please inform me if you have a notification  saying  'Running on NTSC"  that appears each and every time the camera is starting up.

18 hours ago, Epoca Libera said:

This would mean that the first issue is because of the adapter.

So with Sony lenses aperture changes automatically during movie capturing and auto exposure mode.

Please inform me if you have a notification  saying  'Running on NTSC"  that appears each and every time the camera is starting up.

Yes the Sony lens I have adjusts the iris during movie capture automatically, as does the e mount sigma in shutter priority or program modes. Aside from the Minolta, I have no other automatic lenses.

Can confirm I have a PAL camera - UK stock so I get that message in NTSC mode and have to format the card.

Hey guys, just joined here. The main reason being that there are many users here who seem to  see the magic in the 5DII and III when it comes to skin tones and people. I find lots Sony fans just love the specs and detail. Anyway, I did love the a6300 image and wanted to test it out. All handheld and bad editing. But it's just a test. I do like the ITU709 color mode because it doesn't have that drab look that I've seen in so many other videos. I still enjoy the skin tones of my 6D more! 

I did some filming for my wife's wedding business on the weekend, very hot day, I had canon c100 as main camera and the sony a6300 on the steady cam and slider interchanging.

I shot the 6300 all day at 1080 25p 50p no overheating this time. At the end of the shoot I did some quick 4k 25p in the hot sun and no over heating. all pp6

Also today shot the 4k for 29 mins  continuous and no overheating.

In the below 4k clip there are 5 shots the first two show a lot of detail in the far distance pavilion and the difference of  2/3 of a stop exposure between the two.

The third shot shows some aliasing on straight lines

the fourth shot shows moire on the guys shirt on left.

the fifth shot shows imho how good dynamic range is with pp6, it was bright sunshine and quite dark under the marque on left.

I have done no grading with these shots and find it easy to tweak these 8 bit images to taste, simply some sat and adjust blacks. but never over expose the highlights, you won't get them back, you must protect the highlights.

Also shots matched well with the c100.

flower.mp4 shows the 1080p 50 p with about 30 sharpness applied in adobe premier cc (reminds me of the regime used for 5d mk3), not finding any real moire even with this sparse applied.

I think I may keep after all as it does have many uses, I never use the camera off a tripod or slider or steady cam so the  rolling shutter is not much of an issue, but I think Sony has a lot of compromises with this camera, but still a great tool.

flower.mp4

4k.mp4

Hello everyone,

I decide to buy sony a6300.

I was wondering if http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-E-BM2 it is a good for my canon lenses (for shooting video)?

i have..

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L

Canon EF 50mm f/4

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art (for canon)

what results to expect?

thank you very much for the answer!

On 3/12/2016 at 1:01 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Wow.  Ed O'Neil is playing guitar in a Raleigh North Carolina bar band?

Seriously though, good capabilities.  I'd stop that 1.2 down a touch though.  It's actually kind of amusing to see "night" shots a bit over exposed.  Technology these days is impressive.

LOL that dude sure did look like Al Bundy...:)

• 2 months later...

I've been using the a6300 for over a month now and i really have mixed feelings about it. The goods are awesome (1080P 60P, very sharp 4K 24p) and the bad...mmm(rolling shutter and jelly effect is atrocious! the 120P in 1080p full of moire and aliasing, the overall ergonomic of the camera is not really good. But at the end of the day what really matters is/ the stories you tell with your camera.

So here's a look at the first project shot entirely on the A6300+ 16-50 kit lens. mostly handled ~95%, and rarely on a mono-pod.

USEDEM

https://vimeo.com/167633861?type=3&theater

I am not a professional, but I do research in depth before I buy. I had owned the Sony Nex 6 prior to this and this is such a jump ahead in technology. The focus is light years ahead of that and super fast, which is fantastic. The menu is much easier to use and having the ability to define multiple buttons and menu sections/items is great. With that, each user has the ability to setup the camera to their liking. I've got two different lenses, the wide angle 10-16mm and the 55-200mm. Both work great and produce some stunning photos.
Anyways, overall I'm really happy with this from an amateur standpoint. I was using the previous camera for several years and am looking forward to many photos with this one.