Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

4 hours ago, Tony Anastasi said:

yes - but now thinking about the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 lens - and that adapter.. f/1.8 would suit me better in a low light conference setup.. for reach about 135/150mm I guess and still have clear image zoom if needed in a pinch right?

That lens has no image stabilization, so it will be a rolling shutter fest.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The only reason that adapter works on iPhone etc. is because iPhone have the headphone and mic jack convinced in one TRR(R)S headphone jack. If you look closely at your iPhone headphones, you'll see small pieces of plastic that separate segments of the connector. So the tip usually is ground, the rings carry the signal for left ear, right ear, and I think the button inputs, and the sleeve (the top segment) is mic. Or some permutation of that. 

Normal headphone jacks just don't have the mic or button part. Normal mic jacks just don't have the headphone part. So unless the camera is capable of outputting both through the input jack, that adapter won't do anything. 

But it is worth checking to see if the camera does take in mic input and output audio. You could try it with standard iPhone headphones.

2 minutes ago, vaga said:

The only reason that adapter works on iPhone etc. is because iPhone have the headphone and mic jack convinced in one TRR(R)S headphone jack. If you look closely at your iPhone headphones, you'll see small pieces of plastic that separate segments of the connector. So the tip usually is ground, the rings carry the signal for left ear, right ear, and I think the button inputs, and the sleeve (the top segment) is mic. Or some permutation of that. 

Normal headphone jacks just don't have the mic or button part. Normal mic jacks just don't have the headphone part. So unless the camera is capable of outputting both through the input jack, that adapter won't do anything. 

But it is worth checking to see if the camera does take in mic input and output audio. You could try it with standard iPhone headphones.

yes your correct.. its a trs we are after.. so you cannot use this to monitor your rode video mic pro with.. 
i think most of us will probably just buy ext recorders and go that option

19 hours ago, ajay said:

I probably use camera a lot differently than most, but for wildlife photography/videography this camera has its flaws but for the most part meets my needs. The rolling shutter is bad at 24p but tolerable at 30p. The cropping is a bit stronger at 30p but not a big deal. I typically shoot at long mm, so extra crop ain't bad. Has anyone tried the digital zoom? Between 1x and 2x there is no degradation that I can see. What a great feature. Most of my clips are just for a few minutes at most, so no worries with overheating.

And it works pretty darn good for stills with longer mm lenses. I can't wait to try it with Sigma's MC-11 adapter and the Sigma 150-600mm.

I have thought about getting the 1DX Mark II, but it would be a pain in the A$$ to use the back display in sunny, outdoor conditions. An EVF is much better and I can keep the camera steadier by holding it up to my face rather from afar looking at the back screen. I guess I could get a hood for it, but seems like a pain.

I think the RS on this camera will make wildlife filming on a 600mm lens a horrendous wobble fest

11 minutes ago, ade towell said:

I think the RS on this camera will make wildlife filming on a 600mm lens a horrendous wobble fest

Completely agree, RS is amplified with longer lenses. No way your shooting nature effectively with that RS performance unless you use stabilized lenses.

An article appeared very briefly recently from Dan on Newsshooter citing the recent 3.10 A7Rii firmware update and how the AF video performance is now comparable between a6300 and A7Rii. Now I can't find the article–it seems to be taken down. My big question is: how does the video AF performance compare between these two cameras now. The amount of phase-detect AF points is really similar between them both, and coverage in APS-C mode is practically identical. If I already have the A7R2 is there any advantage to the a6300 for AF in video? Oddly enough, Sony's explanation of the AF phase detect firmware upgrade is simply for compatibility with the new G master lenses and doesn't say anything about improved video performance. Yet Dan Chung says "With phase detect AF for video added to the a7R II it has jumped to the top of my list of compact system cameras." Please clarify if anyone has any insight.

Nevermind. Dan was quick to respond! This post was based on a bit of misinformation apparently so it was taken down. What it has done, however, is caused me to test the A7R2 and a6300 video AF against each other. They are remarkably close, to the point that I wouldn't buy the a6300 for it's AF performance in video over the A7R2. Losing the sensor stabilization, headphone out, and the fullframe/APS-C crop option is a big deal and you're not really losing anything substantial AF-wise (for video) from what I can tell.

7 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:
17 minutes ago, EyeSoul said:

pretty nice lookin footage.

Underlit and not at all flattering. :/

Definitely underlit and other technical bloopers if we analyze the footage to that degree.My point is the clarity of the image is undeniably nice. 

1 hour ago, EyeSoul said:

Definitely underlit and other technical bloopers if we analyze the footage to that degree.My point is the clarity of the image is undeniably nice. 

Actually, my first thought was "it could use some diffusion." It's a little crunchy-sharp for my taste. 

Also, those skintones are WACK, man. Crazy flatness and oversaturation in the yellows. Some skin colors fare better than others, but none hold a candle to Panasonic/Blackmagic.

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Actually, my first thought was "it could use some diffusion." It's a little crunchy-sharp for my taste. 

Also, those skintones are WACK, man. Crazy flatness and oversaturation in the yellows

i agree with these assertions

@TheRenaissanceMan, I dont want to blow your cover, but are you the mayor of Idyllwild, CA?

index.19.jpg

1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Also, those skintones are WACK, man. Crazy flatness and oversaturation in the yellows. Some skin colors fare better than others, but none hold a candle to Panasonic/Blackmagic.

It obvious this was graded to a certain taste and it also shows that skintones look quite fine in other shots,certainly not the camera's fault. I'm not here to defend the above footage and to be honest I wasn't measuring skin tone accuracy when I posted it but only to show the clarity of the image "the possibilities" so to speak. I will say it again the "Image Quality" of this camera can't be denied,sharpness can always be dialed down. I'm not about to go in about if the a6300 is better than Blackmagic or Panasonic,it's not my fight but if you're telling me the camera's image isn't official you're not dealing in truth.

If you want to have a field day on the a6300 there is always the rolling shutter/overheating issues but the image is really quite respectable.Also the colors seem to be greatly improved from my limited testing.

13 hours ago, EyeSoul said:

It obvious this was graded to a certain taste and it also shows that skintones look quite fine in other shots,certainly not the camera's fault. I'm not here to defend the above footage and to be honest I wasn't measuring skin tone accuracy when I posted it but only to show the clarity of the image "the possibilities" so to speak. I will say it again the "Image Quality" of this camera can't be denied,sharpness can always be dialed down. I'm not about to go in about if the a6300 is better than Blackmagic or Panasonic,it's not my fight but if you're telling me the camera's image isn't official you're not dealing in truth.

If you want to have a field day on the a6300 there is always the rolling shutter/overheating issues but the image is really quite respectable.Also the colors seem to be greatly improved from my limited testing.

agreed........ I think its a great camera.. I was ready to buy...Still may.. But leaning toward saving a while longer for the a7sII..... just might suit my needs more... IDK..

15 hours ago, Phil A said:

I also had to smirk that certain lenses will make it impossible to mount the A6300 on a longer quick mount plate like most fluid heads use because the mount is too close to the bottom.

Same place as the Nex 7 and I've never had a problem mounting QR plates, as lenses too big tend to have their own mounting point