Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

Just now, JurijTurnsek said:

My point being, that it will sell a ton irregardless of the conclusions of posters on this forums. Your voice is the minority. Your opinion is being taken into account for FS5, since you are the intended user group.

They put two S-Log profiles in, if they were marketing it purely to casual users, this would be a terrible decision. In fact, if they didn't want to broaden the reach of the sucessor to the best selling mirrorless of all time, then they wouldn't have included a lot of the features they did and priced it at least £200 cheaper.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, cpc said:

Yeah, but this is us and our wishful thinking. Sony people probably still see this as a photo camera with video added in. If they were positioning it as a hybrid (like A7s/A7s2) it would be a 12-16mp camera and wouldn't have these RS issues which the excessive pixel counts bring (and would likely cost a bit more). But it is still possible that they release such a hybrid.

Not sure how Sony operates but my understanding is that photo and video divisions are separate. Hopefully they aren't THAT separate though so that features move in both directions. I'd certainly love an FS5 II with great AF and IBIS. Or an A7s III with electronic ND and great AF.

The A7s is just up there with the worst offenders regarding rolling shutter. Which is somewhat surprising.

6 minutes ago, Phil A said:

The A7s is just up there with the worst offenders regarding rolling shutter. Which is somewhat surprising.

A7s is actually really nice RS-wise in APS-C mode (similar to 5dm3, which does binning). And it is still full readout of the 1.5x crop area, so it's also pretty good in terms of aliasing.

FF puts a lot of stress on the system cause there are infrastructure problems to resolve which depend on sensor area. FF will always have more RS than APS-C which will have more RS than smaller sizes (like 1") for the same number of pixels.

13 minutes ago, cpc said:

A7s is actually really nice RS-wise in APS-C mode (similar to 5dm3, which does binning). And it is still full readout of the 1.5x crop area, so it's also pretty good in terms of aliasing.

FF puts a lot of stress on the system cause there are infrastructure problems to resolve which depend on sensor area. FF will always have more RS than APS-C which will have more RS than smaller sizes (like 1") for the same number of pixels.

Ok but then you shoot 1080p. The NX1 also has really low RS in 1080p and quite bad one in 4k. I thought we're  talking about shooting in the cameras' best image quality. It's kinda bothering that you have to choose between image quality and rolling shutter.

Nevertheless impressive what they've put into such a small, cheap camera.

9 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I'm just gonna guess that rolling shutter and overheating are not issues in 1080p.  And since I shoot in 1080p on the gimbal because I'm actively framing my shots, and only in 4K when I'm doing a slow zoom effect in post on a still shot or a reframe to break up the monotony of a long still shot, I think I can still make this my A camera.

All good in theory except the 1080p mode is soft and not veery good IQ at all in comparison to A7 series 1080p or other cameras (GH4 etc.)

This thread cracks me up reading about rolling shutter being OK as you can use it "stylistically"... You can also use an miniDV camera stylistically, why don't we all get one of those next? 

Sony has tried to cram some great features into an awkward frame and as an end result made some half baked crippled mess. Lets hope the a6300 successor will fix these issues. Should I start a6400 rumours already??? :D 

p.s. I don't understand why Sony doesn't just make their top of the line APS-C camera the same body as an A7ii (like 5D is to 7D). That makes far more sense to me, especially given the people I see who are most interested in it.

44 minutes ago, tweak said:

All good in theory except the 1080p mode is soft and not veery good IQ at all in comparison to A7 series 1080p or other cameras (GH4 etc.)

This thread cracks me up reading about rolling shutter being OK as you can use it "stylistically"... You can also use an miniDV camera stylistically, why don't we all get one of those next? 

Sony has tried to cram some great features into an awkward frame and as an end result made some half baked crippled mess. Lets hope the a6300 successor will fix these issues. Should I start a6400 rumours already??? :D 

p.s. I don't understand why Sony doesn't just make their top of the line APS-C camera the same body as an A7ii (like 5D is to 7D). That makes far more sense to me, especially given the people I see who are most interested in it.

It is going to be a7000, and you can't have everything for the 1/3 of the A7r/s II price, at least not before the A7 series offers a lot more (they are never going to cost less than 3000$, new I mean). It is obviously an a6000 with better "insides". Whoever wants this for a B cam, will buy it eventually (almost all the A7/FS oweners) but the real money are in to the people that will buy a6300 instead of a6000, and they want/prefer this form factor (to compete with other APS-C/m4/3 cameras), and why not?

There never will be "a camera to rule them all", especially for 500$ that we all hope, NX1 and NX500 were close when they were out 18/12 months ago and noone bought them.

Just now, tweak said:

This thread cracks me up reading about rolling shutter being OK as you can use it "stylistically"...

That's not at all what I said. After providing one specific example which answered a specific question, I said "but in general, you want to try to minimise it"

@ Dayraven, the fact that people were discussing that notion in an attempt to somehow rationalise the horrendous rolling shutter performance (in the off chance that they purchased the cam) is funny enough for me. I'm sure no-one in their right mind really thinks it's "OK" ;) .

@Kisaha, I agree you can't have it all for a super low price. What I'm talking about is a premium APS-C sensor camera offering, in an A7 package. I'm sure there's a market for this. Lets see if the a7000 comes out soon and what it looks like.

I probably use camera a lot differently than most, but for wildlife photography/videography this camera has its flaws but for the most part meets my needs. The rolling shutter is bad at 24p but tolerable at 30p. The cropping is a bit stronger at 30p but not a big deal. I typically shoot at long mm, so extra crop ain't bad. Has anyone tried the digital zoom? Between 1x and 2x there is no degradation that I can see. What a great feature. Most of my clips are just for a few minutes at most, so no worries with overheating.

And it works pretty darn good for stills with longer mm lenses. I can't wait to try it with Sigma's MC-11 adapter and the Sigma 150-600mm.

I have thought about getting the 1DX Mark II, but it would be a pain in the A$$ to use the back display in sunny, outdoor conditions. An EVF is much better and I can keep the camera steadier by holding it up to my face rather from afar looking at the back screen. I guess I could get a hood for it, but seems like a pain.

@Kisaha, I agree you can't have it all for a super low price. What I'm talking about is a premium APS-C sensor camera offering, in an A7 package. I'm sure there's a market for this. Lets see if the a7000 comes out soon and what it looks like.

Actually you have the camera you want, with the option to go full frame too, if you feel like it, it is the A7Rii. Plus you get IBIS (it sounds like it is something really bad!).

The a7000 will come eventually, because you can't have a camera at this segment of the market with no touchscreen, as we said the masses is the market for this camera, and the masses want touchscreens (and I do, things are so much easier) but Sony will need at least a couple of years to do so (R&D is focused on the full frames for the foreseeable future, and they have to sell out all the new a6300es, and touchscreen do not come with firmware updates), and so we go back to those NX cameras I mentioned earlier..

NX1 1080p -------- 7.9 ms      NX1 4K ---------- 30.9 ms 

a6300 1080p24 --- 15.2 ms  a6300 4K 24fps -- 39.0 ms

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Red One as well. And I think the Scarlet is RS.

There's this one movie shot with the Red One (Gamer, starring Gerard Butler) and it has HUGE amounts of rolling shutter in it's action scenes. High shutter speed does not help. I really disliked that aspect of it.

majoraxis, Andrew confirmed few pages earlier that there is no crop in 25p, therefore RS should be slightly worse. If we assume it scales linear with number of pixels needs to be read it should be worse by 1/24=4.2%. If we take baseline to be 39ms this would give 40.6ms.

In case of 30p from sample videos I estimated relative crop to be 1.225, correcting by higher frame rate gives (30/24)/1.225^2=0.83 factor. With the same 39ms baseline it would give 32.5ms.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Can I just say that Sony have some SUPERB PR people.

Exact OPPOSITE of Samsung's camera department!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:05 PM, majoraxis said:

@ Jordan Drake - I find your reviews from a video shooter's perspective valuable and well done. Keep up the great work - your work is appreciated by many of us, I'm sure.

I'll double second that! :)

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, Tony Anastasi said:

yeah I'll second that ! 

been looking at https://vimeo.com/user803551/videos dl'd a few did my lut's in fcpx - looking NICE AS. :)   

I've spent the last five years shooting with RX100mk1, a 550 and a eos-m mk1 on my doco here in china.. finished shooting that now, this year I'll be doing a few conferences around the world so I'm thinking of getting two of these - one with a wide and one with a  Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS for close ups of the speaker.. i wonder how this would go?

You might need longer reach than 105mm, depends on how far back you're shooting the close ups of speakers from.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Selecting AF point by touching the LCD would have been 1000x better in any case!

Such a simple simple SIMPLE thing to do! Surprised they did not, even the Sony A5100 which I own has touch focus!!! Grrrr.... *ALL* should have that now, it is too handy not to have!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:58 AM, Kisaha said:

Pentax they have their own new Full Frame camera to play with

And their medium format camera which does video!! :-o

http://philipbloom.net/blog/pentax645z/

I want one!! :-o

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Ive been going back and forth if I was going to give this a try. But ultimately have decided to pass.

I dont know. I guess if you want a small body with s35 4k, its cool. But it always seems that Sonys are... A bit further from perfect than other cameras.

And for me personally,  that feel that 4K is just a feature and no way near a must, its tricky. I mean with a kit lens it costs $150 less than I was offered an F3 and only $250 less than a C100. And on top of that it will be half price on the used market before summer is over. 

I guess I dont see it as an A-cam (over heat) and as a B-cam its probably better to wait.

But if you guys that bought it start uploading stunning footage.... Who knows :)

Awwww..... disappointed you passed on the F3 :-( Would've liked your review on that! Especially head to head with the R1 MX! :-D As I've used both, but never used them directly next to each other, or even used them in the same month (as I purchased the F3 sometime after I'd stopped helping out on shooting the feature with a RED).

14 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Ehhh, like what? Going through the top IMDB list and none of those films feature a rolling shutter. Except maybe a couple of Alexa ones but Alexa RS is quite small.

Don't see it so much in top Hollywood movies, but heaps and heaps of popular TV shows with big budgets show quite severe rolling shutter on it. For instance "Suits", nicely shot TV show with a big budget but I notice rolling shutter in it all the time. However, is likely the average viewer never sees it!

Actually never mind, RS is the parameter of the single frame, so there should be no correction for fps. So 25p RS should be identical to 24p, while 30p should be 1.225^2=1.5 times smaller(26ms). This makes sense, it should be kept under 1000ms/fps, otherwise the next frame starts before the current one finished processing. So for 30p RS should be under 33ms, while 24p under 42ms.

bad news is those without fans but using external recorders are also reporting over heating without recording incamera.. so fans it is.. :)

bunch of guys over in max's private a6300 facebook group (1300 users already)  have already started hacking their a6300's with tiny fans.. first couple of guys are getting 1.5hrs straight no over heating ( they run out of battery and memory at about 1.5hrs ) when they attach tiny maglav fans like this ( sunon maglev GM0502PFV2-8, DC5V, 0.4W as shown) . user reports " it's actually surprisingly powerful, and runs directly from 2 AA batteries making the build easy. Maglev type, so it runs at least 6 hours with one pair and is very silent. "

next up are the battery hackers - one user using vlock got 2.7hrs before he got bored.. another has built a grip like out of a couple of phone battery packs and feeding the usb.. i think he is still going lol

-> so, ext recorders, tiny silent fans and usb charger battery hacks it is :)

also for headphones for those who are asking, has anyone got any ideas about this http://aspenmics.com/collections/all/products/cell-phone-lavalier-adapter - will it work ? anyone got one to test for those who like recording onboard ? personally i use ext sound recorders but for those who want to use onboard might find this handy ( aspens sales spill - aspens spelling errors! lol ) 

This adapter is to be used with our AspenMics HQ-S Stereo LavalierMicrophones
Turns 3.5mm audio output port into one 3.5mm headphone jack and one 3.5mm microphone port
This product has only been tested and used on our AspenMics HQ-S Stereo Lavalier Microphone
Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
The adpater may not work on some laptops and mobile devices due to hardware incompatiblity and is not a limitation of the product.)

fan.jpg

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You might need longer reach than 105mm, depends on how far back you're shooting the close ups of speakers from.

yes - but now thinking about the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 lens - and that adapter.. f/1.8 would suit me better in a low light conference setup.. for reach about 135/150mm I guess and still have clear image zoom if needed in a pinch right?