Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

Agree about the background RS, but realistically, there's probably no situation that you'd be orbiting around a subject that fast anyway.

I like the skintones a lot, but they did become flatter and less detailed at night, but hey what do you expect?

This camera's footage is consistently some of the best I've seen; just seems to be a problem of usability more than anything.

If you can use a USB battery pack, hopefully, 2 of the major problems with this cam (and every other Sony cam lol) will be solved (poor battery and strange size).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The dynamic range and low light performance is amazing.  Rolling shutter is as bad as it gets.  Maybe the worst yet?  Still a buy for the price, but coupled with a overheating issues, I'm already dreaming of the a6300 successor.

I'm just gonna guess that rolling shutter and overheating are not issues in 1080p.  And since I shoot in 1080p on the gimbal because I'm actively framing my shots, and only in 4K when I'm doing a slow zoom effect in post on a still shot or a reframe to break up the monotony of a long still shot, I think I can still make this my A camera.

Regarding Rolling Shutter - actually I like it in this video since it emphasizes the motion and scale of the city... Are there maybe examples where you find the RS a useful stylistic device or is it always something to be avoided?

Just now, rs3d said:

Regarding Rolling Shutter - actually I like it in this video since it emphasizes the motion and scale of the city... Are there maybe examples where you find the RS a useful stylistic device or is it always something to be avoided?

Imagine you were shooting a movie with a1st person perspective of a character who was drugged or poisoned, you could really use rolling shutter heavily as a style for that shot, but in general, you want to try to minimise it from the level some cameras display, because it is too much, but trying to avoid it on some cameras becomes more effort than it is worth - plenty of great movies have it, but people are too involved in the story to notice or care.

Me and my generation is so used to it, because we started filming with dslr and it would not bother me that much. It`s excesive, the worst we`ve seen, but I would work with it if everything else was good on the camera. The 1080p footage is the biggest turn off for me personaly.

• Administrators

The sway of the background, yeah I see what you mean - works artistically in some cases. Sounds ridiculous but it's true. Rare case though.

As you can see the image is stunning but I wish Sony would stop putting cameras out there with such stupid flaws such as overheating, rolling shutter and pixilated focus punch-in, they'd be so much better if they had a Canon-like bullet proof reliability about them. It's reaching a critical point now. I need to enjoy my Sony shoots more than I do otherwise I will sell the whole lot (A7S II, A6300, FS5) and get a 1D X Mark II.

50 minutes ago, DayRaven said:

Imagine you were shooting a movie with a1st person perspective of a character who was drugged or poisoned, you could really use rolling shutter heavily as a style for that shot, but in general, you want to try to minimise it from the level some cameras display, because it is too much, but trying to avoid it on some cameras becomes more effort than it is worth - plenty of great movies have it, but people are too involved in the story to notice or care.

That's seems quite a reach, but a shot that specialized, might as well be done in post. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

As you can see the image is stunning but I wish Sony would stop putting cameras out there with such stupid flaws such as overheating, rolling shutter and pixilated focus punch-in, they'd be so much better if they had a Canon-like bullet proof reliability about them. 

I hope I'm around when that day comes! 

it's a $1000 camera that's pushing the boundaries of what's possible. When you do that things are never perfect across the board. If they toke the canon approach we would not see this camera for at least another two years. I think we need both approaches to service many different needs. 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

Ehhh, like what? Going through the top IMDB list and none of those films feature a rolling shutter. Except maybe a couple of Alexa ones but Alexa RS is quite small.

Not complete movies but technically all movies that used the 5D and BMPCC for some shots. And there are plenty of those.

Red One as well. And I think the Scarlet is RS.

I believe you guys are dissecting this consumer camera way harder than an average user will. Once the price falls down to a more reasonable level (like A6000), these cams will be picked up by thousands of causal users like me - shooting photos and videos of your family and pets, usually clips shorter than 10 mins, documenting your travels, using high FPS sparingly etc. They (us) won't care about RS and overheating - IQ out of the box is key here.

Sony already caters to professionals with many models, so having this cheap option is just a bonus.

19 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I believe you guys are dissecting this consumer camera way harder than an average user will. Once the price falls down to a more reasonable level (like A6000), these cams will be picked up by thousands of causal users like me - shooting photos and videos of your family and pets, usually clips shorter than 10 mins, documenting your travels, using high FPS sparingly etc. They (us) won't care about RS and overheating - IQ out of the box is key here.

Sony already caters to professionals with many models, so having this cheap option is just a bonus.

Cool story bro,but it doesn't make the rolling shutter or overheating any better (for those who care, like the posters on this forum).

30 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

One of the problems is that this consumer camera has features that not some but all more expensive large sensor Sony cameras are lacking. Like decent AF. It will likely propagate up eventually, but it certainly can be a cause of frustration: putting it in a camera that fails spectacularly in other areas. And this does reinforce the image of Sony never being able to do everything right, there is always user frustration coupled with their technical inovations.

The fact that this is a photo camera in the first place doesn't really help much on video related forums. :)

26 minutes ago, araucaria said:

Cool story bro,but it doesn't make the rolling shutter or overheating any better (for those who care, like the posters on this forum).

My point being, that it will sell a ton irregardless of the conclusions of posters on this forums. Your voice is the minority. Your opinion is being taken into account for FS5, since you are the intended user group.

1 minute ago, JurijTurnsek said:

My point being, that it will sell a ton irregardless of the conclusions of posters on this forums. Your voice is the minority. Your opinion is being taken into account for FS5, since you are the intended user group.

Thanks for the info.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, cpc said:

The fact that this is a photo camera in the first place doesn't really help much on video related forums. :)

Well EOSHD has always been about both photo and video in one camera body, so I think it helps. The vast majority here will use a mirrorless camera instead of an expensive dedicated video camera like the FS5 or C300.

And since the two are converging - stills and video - you're in the right place to talk about the future.

It is frustrating that the FS5 doesn't have the latest AF innovations, since it costs 5x what one A6300 does and was released just a few months earlier.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well EOSHD has always been about both photo and video in one camera body, so I think it helps. The vast majority here will use a mirrorless camera instead of an expensive dedicated video camera like the FS5 or C300.

And since the two are converging - stills and video - you're in the right place to talk about the future.

It is frustrating that the FS5 doesn't have the latest AF innovations, since it costs 5x what one A6300 does and was released just a few months earlier.

Yeah, but this is us and our wishful thinking. Sony people probably still see this as a photo camera with video added in. If they were positioning it as a hybrid (like A7s/A7s2) it would be a 12-16mp camera and wouldn't have these RS issues which the excessive pixel counts bring (and would likely cost a bit more). But it is still possible that they release such a hybrid.

Not sure how Sony operates but my understanding is that photo and video divisions are separate. Hopefully they aren't THAT separate though so that features move in both directions. I'd certainly love an FS5 II with great AF and IBIS. Or an A7s III with electronic ND and great AF.