Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

3 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

No, it is not. It was fixed on the a7 series and lots of reports claimed that it was fixed with a6300. I really hope these guys just had the LCD closed against the camera of something like that.

the fact that its becoming common understanding that if you shoot with a sony with the lcd in its normal position it can overheat is alarming enough. No other camera made did LCD position contribute to overheating. The design sony is going for with tiny cameras is more of a curse than a gift

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
13 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

No, it is not. It was fixed on the a7 series and lots of reports claimed that it was fixed with a6300. I really hope these guys just had the LCD closed against the camera of something like that.

I saw several reports where they made sure to have it open. Still overheated.

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎03 at 3:55 PM, benymypony said:
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I saw several reports where they made sure to have it open. Still overheated.

I can confirme. The a6300 overheats. I did 15 min ,no problems..tried again and went for a walk. When I came back the camera was black and stopped at 11 min. I had the lcd pulled out. The battery appartment was hot...the room was normal temp. This remind me of the Sony Nex7..which was a nightmare

I

• Administrators

So first proper shoot with the A6300 this weekend.

I had terrible overheating problems after an hour, not even recording continuously but rather 2-5 mins at a time with brief pauses in-between.

Also the manual focus assist zoom is a joke... how the heck do Sony think this is even usable to check focus in video mode... How do you tell if a shot is sharp by looking a blurry mess!!? Basic logic fail.

However the 4K image is just... SO GOOD.

Nice form factor and EVF too. Also the quality of the rear screen (when not zoomed) - very very good indeed.

2 hours ago, Curtis Ross said:

So it seems like a 8-15 min record time before overheating huh? Do the As7II's have simliar over heating issues.......

There's no overheating for the S II, or at least for my S II in 95 degree weather as tested, rather.

With these smaller cameras, the only way to avoid overheating during aggressive, high megapixel downsampling is to make the camera (heat sink) larger or add a fan, make the silicon smaller (more efficient processor/memory), or change the amount of information being processed. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

So first proper shoot with the A6300 this weekend.

I had terrible overheating problems after an hour, not even recording continuously but rather 2-5 mins at a time with brief pauses in-between.

Also the manual focus assist zoom is a joke... how the heck do Sony think this is even usable to check focus in video mode... How do you tell if a shot is sharp by looking a blurry mess!!? Basic logic fail.

However the 4K image is just... SO GOOD.

Nice form factor and EVF too. Also the quality of the rear screen (when not zoomed) - very very good indeed.

The overheating is in 4k or 1080? is there a difference?

Thanks!

• Super Members

Ive been going back and forth if I was going to give this a try. But ultimately have decided to pass.

I dont know. I guess if you want a small body with s35 4k, its cool. But it always seems that Sonys are... A bit further from perfect than other cameras.

And for me personally,  that feel that 4K is just a feature and no way near a must, its tricky. I mean with a kit lens it costs $150 less than I was offered an F3 and only $250 less than a C100. And on top of that it will be half price on the used market before summer is over. 

I guess I dont see it as an A-cam (over heat) and as a B-cam its probably better to wait.

But if you guys that bought it start uploading stunning footage.... Who knows :)

The overheating issues aren't too surprising since there had been many rumors throughout 2015 that the camera had been delayed due to heat issues. (Sony clearly prioritizes compactness of its APS-C mirrorless bodies over robustness. As a sales strategies, this surely pays off: Having APS-C bodies that are as big and cost as much as Olympus/Panasonic's MFT bodies and having full frame bodies that are as big and cost as much as Fuji's APS-C bodies means to win the customer in the camera store.

I am doing a test right now and it just lasted 30mins record limit and i hit record again straight away. Lets see how far it gets. No heating messages yet. 

Its sitting on my desk on my in my camera cage with the battery door open and screen popped out. It has native glass on not with built in OSS (sony 55 f1.8)

Set on 4k 25fps with AF-C with no picture profile selected. 100mb 

8mins in to the (38 mins in total) so far and still looking ok. The battery is slightly warm but was expecting much worse. 

I know its different out in the field / sun etc but so far this is more than i need. 

Wonder if adaptors / OSS lens heats it up? 

Will report back soon after it has over heated. 

Update: at 39 mins over heat icon flashed up. Got another 10 mins out of it after that. So 49mins in total. Popped the battery out and its warm but would not say overly hot. 

Ive switched in another battery and hit record so lets see how long that lasts. 

Update 2: With the new battery inserted i got 15mins before overheat icon appeared. It lasted to 23.30 min before shutting down. 

So with 2 batteries i got 38 mins on the first and 23 mins on the second with about 45 seconds in between.

Ordered mine today. Even with all the downsides, it is still appealing to me as the right company to my g7. Will do some tests when it arrive (there is no official seller where i live, so i've bought from a guy on the usa which will come back by the end of this month).

As i live in Brazil, overheating is my only concern. Its pretty hot around here. But under controlled situations i think it could shine. If, as reported, there is that much heat coming from the battery, wouldn't help when a third party grip gets released, or using a dummy battery on a powerbank? Anyone already tried that?