Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

1 hour ago, DayRaven said:

The manual reads: "Smile/Face Detect. Detects the faces of your subjects and adjusts the focus, exposure, flash settings and performs image processing automatically"

So that image processing doesn't sound like Sony views it as a bug, and it sounds like it may well be present in the camera

49 minutes ago, alexO said:

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :)

Hi DayRaven and alexO,

I used the word "bug" because that is the term the reviewers in the videos I link to use to describe the issue. Apparently what "bugs" them is that you can't turn off the soft skin "feature" when using an external recorder in video mode - unless you also record in-camera. As I understand Mark Gilden that means for longer takes on the a5100 he pretty much gets to choose between the camera overheating or having waxy skin applied to his talents. And I'm pretty sure that would "bug" me too ;)

It would also "bug" me if I can't use face detection auto focus without having a soft skin filter smearing facial details in video mode. According to Mark the face detection feature and soft skin filter are two separate functions that can be turned on and off individually in all other modes than video mode where they are somehow locked together. I can foresee quite a few situations where I would like to use face detection auto focus in video mode, but I can't imagine I would ever want to use the soft skin filter. So it would be great to know if the two features can be turned on and off individually in video mode on the a6300 :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi guys.

I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered A6300 and I'm getting some accesories.

Quick question: Would a standard 15000mah power bank with 5v USB output work to power the camera?

I've also bought a couple of spare batteries and a charger, but would like something a bit bigger as an alternative.

Thanks!

I was joking, I agree, in perfect world we should be able to control any post processing which is automatically done by the camera. "It's not a bug it's a feature" is usually referred to an excuse made by software developers when they try to convince the user that a flaw in their program is actually what it's supposed to be doing.

3 minutes ago, alexO said:

I was joking, I agree, in perfect world we should be able to control any post processing which is automatically done by the camera. "It's not a bug it's a feature" is usually referred to an excuse made by software developers when they try to convince the user that a flaw in their program is actually what it's supposed to be doing.

I get you :)

On March 11, 2016 at 5:54 AM, The Chris said:

Great examples of AF face tracking

Also curious if the LCD dims after hitting record like my A7rII.

Regarding LCD dimming, it doesn't let you change the LCD brightness while set to 4K recording. The option is literally grayed out - kinda strange. Is it a heat or power consumption issue? 

Also, how's everyone feeling with overheating? I used my A6300 exclusively on a 5-camera (All others were A7s I and II) live studio shoot with a top 40s pop artist and was overheating all day. Our workflow was to capture a 10-song live album, so we'd roll cameras, run one ~4 minute song, take a 30-45 second break, and then run another 4 minute song. The camera started overheating on the third song, and for the rest of the day I'd be doing this:  IMG_5834.thumb.JPG.ca9d5be6fcbadc3ab3ffb

for as long as possible before we ran through the next song. This generally did the trick but obviously garnered some odd looks from the band, though they're used to our shenanigans with pulling good stuff out of tiny cameras.  Heat levels were extremely high way up in the battery slot so pulling the battery and blowing cool air right up there seemed to do it as a preventative measure. 

As for the shoot itself, I am absolutely floored at the autofocus. It's insane. I can't share any footage but when it comes out I'll upload a raw A6300 take - the moves it allowed me to do while simply handholding the camera, going from macro shots of hands on keyboards to medium shots of the musicians, passing instruments in the foreground, etc. Holding down the AF/MF button lets you quickly lock focus in case you know you're going to be making a move that will trip it up, and also enables the focus ring on the lens so you can hold the button down, fly in manual focus for a few seconds, let go, and it's back in AF mode. 

The image, too. Absolutely bonkers. Rolling shutter sucks super hard(and you can even see it on closeup shots of hands and stuff where the camera's not moving), but the camera is an absolute dream otherwise and I've been able to shoot around it. 1080p mode also sucks. It's not unusable, but it's of a level of detail I'd expect out of a 5D Mark II. Loving the 16-70 Sony Zeiss OSS lens and the 24/1.8. Has anyone used the 18-105 F4? Does it compare? 

I have a question regarding rolling shutter (on any camera). 

I am going to guess that the readout of the sensor is at a constant speed. It usually reads top to bottom. If we calculate the time it takes for the whole sensor to read out one frame, and by doing so calculate how much lag each line of pixels has from the one above it — wouldn't you be able to just adjust this in the software? Just add lag the opposite direction, and get a global looking shutter.

Could the Sony A6300 KIT 16-50 mm (with PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS) handle this, asking seriously as it could be a great combo for rainproof gimbal. It appears A6300 has some kind of water and dust protection, but have not found any detailed info, and especially not of the lens.

12742589_822158091264003_8390139718512647922_n.png

3 hours ago, Jens M said:

I have a question regarding rolling shutter (on any camera). 

I am going to guess that the readout of the sensor is at a constant speed. It usually reads top to bottom. If we calculate the time it takes for the whole sensor to read out one frame, and by doing so calculate how much lag each line of pixels has from the one above it — wouldn't you be able to just adjust this in the software? Just add lag the opposite direction, and get a global looking shutter.

Only for slanted lines. Everything else that moves (hands on a guitar etc) would be very hard to fix as the software would have to calculate everything moving (sometimes the background moves in a different direction than the foreground). There is a rolling shutter fixer in After Effects that tries to do this but it will create some artifacts.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Wow.  Ed O'Neil is playing guitar in a Raleigh North Carolina bar band?

Seriously though, good capabilities.  I'd stop that 1.2 down a touch though.  It's actually kind of amusing to see "night" shots a bit over exposed.  Technology these days is impressive.

Dang, he does look like Ed O'Neil. Ha. 

2 hours ago, benymypony said:

Test in low light :

It looks great. Your LUT really cuts through that sLog. I happened upon one of your free LUTS... Aspen maybe? I forget which one it is... I got a lot of free ones on the same morning... But I like it a lot.

I am trying to learn to do basic color corrections/grades without LUTS, but when I feel confident enough to go back to them, so I know how to properly tweak them, I will definitely give your pack a go.

13 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Only for slanted lines. Everything else that moves (hands on a guitar etc) would be very hard to fix as the software would have to calculate everything moving (sometimes the background moves in a different direction than the foreground). There is a rolling shutter fixer in After Effects that tries to do this but it will create some artifacts.

Well if you just delay each row of pixel by the time it takes for it to read, does that not fix every situation? I might be confused.

Just now, Jens M said:

Well if you just delay each row of pixel by the time it takes for it to read, does that not fix every situation? I might be confused.

You can do that in premiere, but using the pixel analysis method gives better results - it's basically because the movement of the camera or object in the frame is not necessarily constant throughout the readout, and remember, the data has to be reconstructed otherwise your video will end up being rhomboid? shaped, and you can't grab information from other frames as the time difference is minute.

Ideally you could just calibrate the viewers output device to write the information at the same speed in reverse, but tv's and monitors etc can't and will never be able to do that, so, we have to correct.

33 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

ha its expected when Sony's latest mantra is to make everything as small as possible LOL

No, it is not. It was fixed on the a7 series and lots of reports claimed that it was fixed with a6300. I really hope these guys just had the LCD closed against the camera of something like that.