Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

Great examples of AF face tracking

Great AF for this kind of shooting. This video is also a good example of how the rolling shutter behaves while shooting smooth handheld. Discrete but real issues : even when the buldings dont bend too much, you can feel the jello effect.

Is it possible to eliminate that kind of weird jello feeling in post with the Premiere tool? I think I never had that problem with my GH2 and Z5 so I've never used that correction tool.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, jessedacri said:

This is my doc-style work setup and now that I'm seeing the results I'll definitely be redoing this test stopped down a little on a different lens, with a less busy subject. Good news is that the 4K 30 mode doesn't seem to suffer from any weird image quality loss

eager to see your tests with this setup. Is there an improvement on Roling shutter on the 30p mode? I intend using it hand held for news ocasionanly. and this could be a good workaround, since the 1080 looks so bad. 

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, JChristophe said:

Great AF for this kind of shooting. This video is also a good example of how the rolling shutter behaves while shooting smooth handheld. Discrete but real issues : even when the buldings dont bend too much, you can feel the jello effect.

I wouldn't call it that smooth, his camera is all a bit all over the place. And the vertical lines of the building are a worst case scenario especially if you're look for the problem and know how to spot it.

I still think the A6300 has a lot... But I also think RS is one of the more 'overrated' problems with these cameras. The NX1 has 90% as much, yet not so many complainants about it over the last year really. I've heard more people mention the banding.

24 minutes ago, tomastancredi said:

eager to see your tests with this setup. Is there an improvement on Roling shutter on the 30p mode?

Yes small improvement.

58 minutes ago, JChristophe said:

how the rolling shutter behaves while shooting smooth handheld. Discrete but real issues

yes. Is it a RS problem? there is some microjittering on the last 2 videos shared (don't care about the buildings or trains, normal people just don't notice it IMO, but the motion does not look good so far so. can it be caused by 1. OSS strange stabilization 2. Rolling shutter indeed or 3. badly shot, high shutter speed.. ?

4 hours ago, JChristophe said:

Is it possible to eliminate that kind of weird jello feeling in post with the Premiere tool? I think I never had that problem with my GH2 and Z5 so I've never used that correction tool.

It will also track someone walking while shooting with a gimbal as seen below on the A7rII. FF @ F/4, looks pretty good on my 4k monitor.

With the AF points more dense because of the smaller sensor, I'd expect the a6300 to be even more precise. I rarely shoot without a tripod, monopod or now a gimbal after getting the DS1 - so most of the handheld jitters are a non issue for me. YMMV.

And here's another test with the camera moving behind obstructions and the face detect locks pretty quickly when it pops back out

Yes, as listed on www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6300-body-kit/specifications

Power supply via USB 

Camera operation can be powered via USB connection to a PC or mobile battery. This conserves the camera battery, extending the length of time that the camera can be used before the battery is depleted. When the camera is turned off, the battery can be charged via the same connection.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I wouldn't call it that smooth, his camera is all a bit all over the place. And the vertical lines of the building are a worst case scenario especially if you're look for the problem and know how to spot it.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's simple. Get a tripod, shoot wide, or just be careful with longer lenses 50mm+

The thing is I like this way of shooting... I guess that's why I call it "smooth" handheld :) , so I know I will have some jello effect if I buy this camera.

My question is, is it worth it for me to buy the a6300 if I rely on the Première Pro RS repair tool? Is this tool good enough for this kind of use?

I think my overall impression of this camera (after a day of shooting so take that with a grain of salt) it a positive one. These Sony cameras bring options not available on something like a Canon and it comes with a steep learning curve. However, using the camera correctly (using S-log 2 only when necessary, getting white balance right, avoiding rolling shutter, maximizing function buttons, finding audio solution) you're really getting a lot for $1k. As always it depends on your needs. I did a little first impressions write up here: 

http://www.fennworld.com/sony-a6300-the-good-and-bad/

A lot of what I found has already been mentioned in this forum thread. My biggest disappointment was LACK OF CANON AF FOR VIDEO. I can't even select AF-C with a Canon lens attached via Metabones. 

• Administrators

For those disappointed with lack of video AF with Canon mount lenses via Metabones adapter, it would be interesting to get the upcoming Sigma adapter and try a set of Sigmas... 20mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4 and of course the 18-35mm F1.8 and 50-100mm F1.8 APS-C lenses are all superb.

11 hours ago, raf702 said:

Videomaker.com just released a video review of the A6300, and displayed it's RS @6:43 and it looks pretty horrid. But I guess it looks similar to the a7s, gh4, etc. 

The A6300 RS is worse than all other models you have mentioned.

3 hours ago, The Chris said:

If you're going to use Sigma Art lenses, order the new Sigma EF-E mount adapter, it unlocks all AF functions on the A7rII and should do the same on the a6300.

It would be great if Sigma would make a speedbooster version of their new MC-11 Eos to E-mount adapter. Would be great to gain a stop of light from full frame Sigma lenses and get the most out of them on both APS-C and FF. I asked Sigma on their Facebook page if they would consider making a speedbooster version, but so far no reply. They certainly would be able to. :-)

I'm exited about the Sony a6300 which may become my first Sony camera. I've asked a few online reviewers about a potential issue with the camera that I'm concerned about, and I'd like to ask the a6300 owners in this forum as well. Could you perhaps test if the "soft skin bug" is present in the a6300 or if it has been resolved? Apparently, in some other Sony cameras [a5100, a6000], the "soft skin" filter is coupled to the face detection feature in video mode, which means you can't use face detection auto focus without having a soft skin filter smearing facial details and thus making the talents skin look like wax. Is this bug also present in the a6300?

Also, if you don't record internally but instead use HDMI-out, it appears there is no easy way of turning off the soft skin filter effect, even if you turn off face detection altogether. Is this also the case with the a6300?

Mark Gilden demonstrates and describes the bug in detail in the below links:

http://community.sony.com/…/Please-let-us-disa…/idi-p/538535

And here a demonstration by John Moore:

I've posted the above questions in a Facebook group and so far I have had one person reply, and he did not see any skin smoothing going on when face detection auto focus was being used in video mode. So I am hopeful that this issue is not present in the a6300, but I would appreciate further confirmation.

Thanks! :-)

Just now, HJD said:

I'm exited about the Sony a6300 which may become my first Sony camera. I've asked a few online reviewers about a potential issue with the camera that I'm concerned about, and I'd like to ask the a6300 owners in this forum as well. Could you perhaps test if the "soft skin bug" is present in the a6300 or if it has been resolved? Apparently, in some other Sony cameras [a5100, a6000], the "soft skin" filter is coupled to the face detection feature in video mode, which means you can't use face detection auto focus without having a soft skin filter smearing facial details and thus making the talents skin look like wax. Is this bug also present in the a6300?

The manual reads: "Smile/Face Detect. Detects the faces of your subjects and adjusts the focus, exposure, flash settings and performs image processing automatically"

So that image processing doesn't sound like Sony views it as a bug, and it sounds like it may well be present in the camera