Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

Is there a headphone jack on the a6300?

No but you can pass audio out via HDMI to a monitor with a headphone jack, or go off the on screen audio levels instead.

9 minutes ago, Mozim said:

That's great to hear, thanks. I shoot lots of action sports so 120fps continuous recording is a huge advantage. I usually don't have time to record sound with an external recorder, so recording 120fps with sound allows me to either slow down the footage quite a bit or play it back at realtime and use the original sound that I recorder. Makes sense? :D 

Yeah I see, makes sense!

10 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

Is there a headphone jack on the a6300?

No, just a mic jack. 

Things are looking promising so far. The noise is a little fizzier than Panasonic's, there's more rolling shutter, and the highlights still go a little weird when blown, but it's a damn fine image. A bag of compromises--hard to wrangle LOG mode, limited DR in the modes with good color, limited battery life, no headphone jack, a dearth of good native APS-C lenses, cruddy ergonomics, an LCD screen that doesn't flip out, poor white balance, no 30p without a big crop--but for many people, I can see it being the right mix of compromises. 

Something tells me this camera and the G7 will be our go-to recommendations for most of the year. 

5 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

How's the 60p on the camera? Any better than the a6000?

Also interested in this.

Do the A6300's EVF and LCD go dark during 4K like the A7X II's?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Things are looking promising so far. The noise is a little fizzier than Panasonic's

But the Panasonic's don't go past ISO 800 without suffering massive colour de-saturation and heavy noise.

The A6300 has a lovely fine noise grain and can go to 6400 easy.

there's more rolling shutter

Tis true!

and the highlights still go a little weird when blown

Yes but nothing a little post can't sort out

A bag of compromises--hard to wrangle LOG mode

I am enjoying Cine 4 to avoid LOG

It seems different this time out... the image processing is new.

I like it better.

limited DR in the modes with good color

No more limited than any other. I think it's pretty good in Cine4 for both colour and DR so far. Early days though.

limited battery life

Not that bad considering the size of the body, just carry some spares.

a dearth of good native APS-C lenses

Really?

Sigma 18-35mm and 50-100mm F1.8 pretty good no?

Ok not native but AF should track and be fast through the official Sigma adapter, so as good as maybe...

The Sony Zeiss 24mm F1.8 is my favourite of the native APS-C lenses, it's very good and the FE 55mm F1.8 is nice and it doesn't matter that it is full frame, it works fine on Super 35mm.

But if it is APS-C lenses you want there's a crazy amount of EF-S ones and others which will go on the A6300 via the Metabones adapter. Also Sigma do some nice APS-C lenses... and now some notable ones for e-mount with good AF.

Using full frame lenses is there it's at though, and Speed Booster. The lovely Sigma 20mm F1.4... it's still beautifully wide on it with or without Speed Booster in fact.

cruddy ergonomics

Not exactly charming like a Fuji X Pro2, but it feels functional and as long as you don't need to dive into the menus too much, it's fine.

Still does the annoying "shooting on NTSC mode" dialogue box when turning it on though, if shooting 24p and 120fps on a PAL camera. Ridiculous.

poor white balance

That's mainly an S-Gamut issue actually.

In Cine 4 and for stills it might be improved, we'll see.

FYI... I've been testing the a6300 today with long telephoto lenses both Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 with Metabones IV and Sony LA-EA3 adapters. Autofocus is still slow 400mm out to 600mm for stills and video? Might as well keep it in manual focus.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

But the Panasonic's don't go past ISO 800 without suffering massive colour de-saturation and heavy noise.

The A6300 has a lovely fine noise grain and can go to 6400 easy.

Tis true!

Yes but nothing a little post can't sort out

I am enjoying Cine 4 to avoid LOG

It seems different this time out... the image processing is new.

I like it better.

No more limited than any other. I think it's pretty good in Cine4 for both colour and DR so far. Early days though.

Not that bad considering the size of the body, just carry some spares.

Really?

Sigma 18-35mm and 50-100mm F1.8 pretty good no?

Ok not native but AF should track and be fast through the official Sigma adapter, so as good as maybe...

The Sony Zeiss 24mm F1.8 is my favourite of the native APS-C lenses, it's very good and the FE 55mm F1.8 is nice and it doesn't matter that it is full frame, it works fine on Super 35mm.

But if it is APS-C lenses you want there's a crazy amount of EF-S ones and others which will go on the A6300 via the Metabones adapter. Also Sigma do some nice APS-C lenses... and now some notable ones for e-mount with good AF.

Using full frame lenses is there it's at though, and Speed Booster. The lovely Sigma 20mm F1.4... it's still beautifully wide on it with or without Speed Booster in fact.

Not exactly charming like a Fuji X Pro2, but it feels functional and as long as you don't need to dive into the menus too much, it's fine.

Still does the annoying "shooting on NTSC mode" dialogue box when turning it on though, if shooting 24p and 120fps on a PAL camera. Ridiculous.

That's mainly an S-Gamut issue actually.

In Cine 4 and for stills it might be improved, we'll see.

I don't see much evidence of massive de-saturation or heavy noise past 1600 here. 6400 sure, but it's honestly not past saving with a little Neat Video. 

What CAN'T be saved are those horrible artifacts on highlights. In the first scene, all the lights next to the pool have gone sickly, saturated yellow. Very videoy. The Panasonic's are neutral, more like film's would be. Look at the underwater pool lights in the second scene. 100% clipped, then a ring of pure cyan, then blue water again. There's no fixing that in post. Now look at the Panasonic. A smooth gradient from darker blue to aqua, then a gentle transition into soft highlight. It takes longer to clip too, which means it holds more highlight detail than the A6300 even at higher sensitivities--which I prefer, since I light most of my work. 

I agree that the noise grain has improved quite a bit, but it's not more than a stop, stop and a half better than the G7. If you need that, cool! You have another good option. But realistically, how often do people really need to shoot about 3200? Even the weddings I've shot rarely require more than 800-1600. 

The A6300 does have a certain sense of "richness" as it ramps up in ISO, but that might be the amber-magenta color bias fooling my brain. Hard to say without a better white balance.

It's good to hear that some of the profiles have been improved. For people who prefer to bake in their look, that's awesome. But for video power-users and enthusiasts who are trying to squeeze every drop of performance from this camera, it's disappointing to have a LOG mode that's borderline unusable. 

Natural has the best color straight out of the G7, and it loses maybe one stop to V-LOG. CineD loses nothing to it, and has excellent colors with the Leeming LUT. So it feels like I'm losing out less on Panasonic by not using LOG than I am on Sony. Although...I guess I've never seen any empirical tests. Has anyone shown the difference in DR between SLOG and the Cine profiles?

You could get 3 or so hours out of a GX7, and the A6300 certainly isn't smaller than that. I haven't heard much on the A6300's battery life, but does it top that? The G7 does 4 hours, and it has the same small battery. And once you've added several overpriced Sony spares, you're adding more weight and expense to the bag, both of which you were supposed to be saving with a Sony mirrorless camera.

Ah, so you did see the word "native" in there. Eventually. :P

Seems rather unwieldy to strap huge Sigma or EF glass to a tiny Sony body, and the AF won't hold up for some stills work. I suppose unlike Sony themselves, Canon does offer a nice variety of APS-C glass, which should balance reasonably well. Shame most of them are focus by wire, though.

Sony's actual APS-C lenses are mostly either awful or very overpriced. The stabilized 35 and 50 are good (if sterile), but other than that....you've got a couple Sony Zeisses that are nice, and...that's basically it. You could get FE glass, sure, but paying $1000 for a 55mm 1.8 when Panasonic and Olympus sell portrait primes for less than half that seems silly to me. 

It definitely wins with vintage glass, though, especially smaller primes. No arguing that. And come to think of it, SLR Magic makes a few lenses in E-mount. No AF in that case, but they render and handle better for video.

Unless Sony's improved their button customization, the A6300 should still require a healthy amount of menu-diving over the course of a shoot. By your own (and most other people's) admission, Sony menus are ass. I'll still take Panasonic for usability.

Eh...maybe it's to do with S-Gamut, but I'm not sure this test was even shot in that and it shows mis-balanced color too. I'm guessing, like other Sony cams, the A6300 will benefit heavily from manual WB with a grey card. 

Look, I'm not trying to bag on Sony. This looks like a great camera, and the sweet spot for a lot of shooters. But when we have 2 or 3 different topics breaking down why Sony cams wow and impress out of the gate but ultimately fall short of their competition, I feel compelled to play devil's advocate. 

Thanks for the tests, Andrew. Eagerly awaiting any new footage. :)

Cheers.

Edit: Any chance of an answer to the two questions at the end of my last post?

Hi guys, my first post here after having been reading you quite often recently with a lot of interest.

This camera looks very very good to me on almost every aspect. The one thing that scares me the most is the rolling shutter issue. It's obvious in the last shot of the video above.

My question is, what do you guys think of the use of the "rolling shutter repair" tool in Premiere Pro CS6? Do you think it will be useful in most shooting situations with the a6300? What about handheld footage? Will it stay natural after being corrected?

Thanks to everyone in this thread.

Is 4K 25p also cropped?

a6300 manual on page 138 of pdf says(online: http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1540/v1/en/contents/TP0000818593.html)

The angle of view will be narrower under the following conditions:
When [ File Format] is set to [XAVC S HD] and [ Record Setting] is set to [120p]/[100p]
When [ File Format] is set to [XAVC S 4K] and [ Record Setting] is set to [30p]/[25p]

• Administrators

No looks like a typo in the manual or something.

XAVC S 4K 25p has a "Super 35mm" badge next to it in the menus and I see no change in the FOV when using it vs 4K 24p mode.

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

Also curious if the LCD dims after hitting record like my A7rII.

Yeah it does unfortunately. Weird innit?!