Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This looks like a fantastic camera for people who have a rolling shutter fetish. 

Between this and Jordan's honest opinion, I will definitely stay away from the a6300. It looks fantastic on paper but that's about it. It's not just Canon that is crippling their cameras on purpose. 

27 minutes ago, Mozim said:

This looks like a fantastic camera for people who have a rolling shutter fetish. 

Between this and Jordan's honest opinion, I will definitely stay away from the a6300. It looks fantastic on paper but that's about it. It's not just Canon that is crippling their cameras on purpose. 

NX1 rolling shutter is pretty close and I haven't seen many people complain about it. 

But heck why spend just $1000 for a oversampled 4K log-capable camera with very good low light quality capabilities and very good AF in a tiny body when there are so many more expensive options right? 

27 minutes ago, Mozim said:

What's a better option for $1000? What's crippled on the a6300?

19 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

NX1 rolling shutter is pretty close and I haven't seen many people complain about it. 

But heck why spend $1000 for a supersampled 4K log-capable camera with very good low light quality capabilities and very good AF in a tiny body when there are so many more expensive options right? 

In my country the a6300 is 1400euros body only, and 1600 kit, similar money with a slightly used A7s.

m4/3 people have their Olympuses for stills and Panasonics for 4K video.

Fuji said that they are about to give 4K in a firmware update, so they must be about to do it.

I do not see a lot of NX users to HAVE TO switch (NX500 is doing crop 4K for 499euros kit, NX1 is probably a better PRO camera than a6300, but I am not going to debate now), except the ones that abandoning ship (but it doesn't mean they go Sony, a lot have gone m4/3 already, for small and light lenses, or Fuji for APS-C).

Nikon they will have their own 4K camera soon, and it will be interesting to see if they have built to their excellent HD files as well.

Canon users they do not know about 4K, and the ones they do buy C300mkII or 1D ( I am being sarcastic, but the Canon policy actually works for them!)..

Pentax they have their own new Full Frame camera to play with, so I am not sure how many people will buy to this camera, simpler users with a6000 and a5000 cameras will be reluctant to upgrade, as the price is not that good (yet) and maybe the lowering of a6000 will be a more attractive option to them. The not many APS-C native lens options is something to consider too.

I can see every A7 owner to get one though, as a B-cam, or every day "compact", but the camera is not that groundbreaking, maybe the a7000 will be (touchscreen in the year 2020 for Sony, while car and white appliances have already!), but we haven't seen the a6300 yet..

I agree, I was about to buy it and am already thinking about going the g7 + a6000 used ones route for both stills (with vintage glass on a6000) and g7 for motion. Am I wrong or it looks like 1080 on a6300 is worst than a6000's? 

15 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Fuji said that they are about to give 4K in a firmware update, so they must be about to do it.

where did you see this? I thought they said they could but would not update(on the xpro2)  and the xt2 would come with 4k.
when is the xt2 expected to come? :)

3 minutes ago, The Chris said:

Fuji says no 4k on the Xpro2, you'll have to wait for the XT2 and hope they figure out how to reduce moire looking at Xpro2 samples. 

Sorry, I misread the Fuji comment, but still you get my point; I do not see a lot (if any) Fuji users to go Sony because of the a6300, while they had barely video with the previous Fuji's. 

49 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

But heck why spend just $1000 for a oversampled 4K log-capable camera with very good low light quality capabilities and very good AF in a tiny body when there are so many more expensive options right? 

NX1 rolling shutter is pretty awful, too, and many people complained about it. 

Rolling shutter, 1080p is fairly soft, 1080p 120fps is very soft, no headphone jack, questionable button placement, no touchscreen, battery life. If it fits your style of shooting then that's great. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Mozim said:

NX1 rolling shutter is pretty awful, too, and many people complained about it. 

Rolling shutter, 1080p is fairly soft, 1080p 120fps is very soft, no headphone jack, questionable button placement, no touchscreen, battery life. If it fits your style of shooting then that's great. 

I think you're being too harsh really.

Running a 6K sensor fast enough to reduce rolling shutter takes a large heat sink and an FS5 or even FS7 size body.

I don't expect them to do that in a tiny tiny mirrorless camera for $1k, why do you?

You've gotta understand what it is trying to do here... read out 2160 lines of 6K in 34ms with no fan and pretty much nothing in the way of heat sink apart from the poorly heat conducting composite shell of the body itself.

By all means take a Canon that line skips through 1080 lines of 2K, pixel binning as it goes... in exchange for a bit less rolling shutter (20ms-ish instead of 30ms-ish)

Doesn't seem like much of a deal to me.

Plus rolling shutter you can fix in post. Moire you cannot.

No touch screen and questionable button placement, fair enough... it should have been better in these areas.

I am going out to buy mine now in Berlin and will report back later.

25 minutes ago, The Chris said:

Fuji says no 4k on the Xpro2, you'll have to wait for the XT2 and hope they figure out how to reduce moire looking at Xpro2 samples. 

If the X-T2 gets 4K then it also gets less or virtually no moire by default, as 4K is almost always a full pixel readout aside from when the megapixel count is ridiculously high like in full frame mode on the A7R II (42MP).

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think you're being too harsh really.

Running a 6K sensor fast enough to reduce rolling shutter takes a large heat sink and an FS5 or even FS7 size body.

I don't expect them to do that in a tiny tiny mirrorless camera for $1k, why do you?

I'm not expecting a tiny mirrorless camera for $1k (or 1400€) to be the perfect camera. I really wanted to like this camera – as a sports shooter 120 fps instead of 60 fps would have been awesome. I'm also not saying Canon build better cameras but in a way I feel like Sony is doing the exact opposite as Canon. They implement as many features that sound fantastic but in reality it's a bit of a letdown (at least to me). Canon on the other hand is very, very slow at implementing exciting features but when they do, they usually work really well. I'm not saying that either approach is ideal. 

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the a6300! 

For me it's gonne be my still picture camere. The AF is really sweet and superb fast. And it is a small camera, with the 16-50mm you can still use it like it is a compact camera (ok, a bit compact cam, but it's ok. You can have it with you all the time. And that was my priority). For video it's not bad, it's ok for my second cam.

• Administrators
On 9 March 2016 at 5:35 AM, Jordan Drake said:

Hey Andrew,
After all the dumping you've been doing on every reviewer, I was surprised to see my video at the top of your blog post. But hey, we all need content right?

Hey Jordan

No way! It kills me to have a misunderstanding like this

I am an avid follower of your videos at The Camera Store, I absolutely love then

I featured your video on the blog purely out of love for what you do and to draw attention to it.

I'd have a hard time passing that off as my own!! Berlin might be cold but it's not that cold!! I do not have a stunning beard. I do not have Chris's strange accent either :)

The PR comment wasn't aimed at you guys

*At all*

I get involved with the manufacturers and try to build a relationship, I go to the events organised by PR companies to try out the cameras early when I can fit it in, nothing wrong with this and all reviewers do it. I didn't realise you and Chris just got back from a Sony press event so it was a really stupidly badly timed comment on my part.

No one can deny there's generally a subversive whitewashing going on due to so much PR in the consumer electronics world but YOUR reviews are NOT like that... I like to think we remain balanced about negatives and unbiased and thinking of our content rather than our relationship with the manufacturers and this is totally what sites like ours do... We shoot from the gut and we are outspoken.

I can't tell you how sorry I am for this misunderstanding it is terrible...

I'm up for a chat on the phone if it helps solve any issues

Sorry - Andrew

On February 29, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Blue Fox said:

Interesting... I understand you set this in-camera?

- do you first set the color temperature and then the color shift or the other way round?

- may I ask which setting you use? Something like 0, M2?

Ya when you use Kelvin WB you can then go into WB shift and pull the greens and blues out in camera. Really helps

• Administrators

Just shot a few tests with the A6300 in 4K.

Sony have completely changed their noise reduction and the way the codec handles noise...

Behold... A fine noise grain in video mode!!

56e1c02aef7f1_a6300noise6400.jpg.90a53a4

This is really nice to see.

Shot at ISO 6400 by the way.

One thing I have noticed with the copper sensors (X Pro 2, NX1, A6300) is that they really hold onto colour and dynamic range well at high ISOs.

More coming soon.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just shot a few tests with the A6300 in 4K.

Sony have completely changed their noise reduction and the way the codec handles noise...

Behold... A fine noise grain in video mode!!

56e1c02aef7f1_a6300noise6400.jpg.90a53a4

This is really nice to see.

Shot at ISO 6400 by the way.

One thing I have noticed with the copper sensors (X Pro 2, NX1, A6300) is that they really hold onto colour and dynamic range well at high ISOs.

More coming soon.

looks stuningly good for a 100mbit codec!