Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

On 3/5/2016 at 10:24 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Why not just get the A7S used then? It isn't much more expensive.

The 1080/60p is good in APS-C mode on the A7S. Excellent in fact.

Not much good in full frame mode though.

The D5500 and D750 also shoot very good 1080/60p.

Thanks, Andrew. I was holding out for more reviews of the a6300 regarding HD capabilities, and now there's this from Cinema5D:

"The camera can shoot in full HD resolution, but the image is very soft and dirty in terms of aliasing," along with a sadly distorted Siemens's star. Disappointing, but also in line with what I've seen in HD samples from Camera Labs, Imaging Resource, and The Camera Store.

(The Camera Store review briefly cuts to an HD shot, saying it's very good, while the image is anything but. Not sure what that's about.)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
18 minutes ago, bunk said:

Sad to hear you have health problems.

I guess your joking, would be super weird to take it personal at this point.
(BTW, if you are really upset I will give you the opportunity to get back at me straight away :) )

Any who,
Ive been trying to get a quick workflow going for skin and Slog and this is how far Ive come so far.
There is a bit to much red in the skin still. But when removing it I still wasn't happy and didn't have time to tweak any more for today.
But still I think its a bit ok, this is a very dark and pale time of the year, so some rosier checks is nice.

So, in no way perfect skin, but imo its passable. 
Will keep researching others workflows and keep perfecting. This was done with 2 steps. And thats my end goal, workable image for grading with two simple steps.

3 minutes ago, bunk said:

My point being ....it's not the camera.

I know that. The problem is that slog is 10 times harder and more cumbersome to grade than most LOGs. 

31 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I guess your joking,

Yes it supposed to be a joke.

Your remark (which I liked) reminded me of a situation with a dutch politician some 40 years ago. He was in the middle of a speech when someone in the audience rose and shouted “Asswhole”! He replied with “very nice to meet you, Hans Wiegel is the name”.

Anyhow …Your grade looks really good to me …and I for one don’t believe Slog is more difficult to grade then any of the other logs ...as you just proofed yourself. It does need another approach though and I’m still trying to find out which.
As said your two step approach seems to work. I’m already happy with a four step approach I’m testing with as much footage as I can find on the web, to see if it holds up. …So any ungraded frame from the above clip (around time 23 sec) would make my day ;) Cheers.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, The Chris said:

More demonstrations with no aliasing and moire. Nice.

Would be a first for Sony. Went by "The Building of Moire" with the rx100iv yesterday and it was almost 100% clean. Still behind the BMPC4K and LX100 but very clean. So its possible :)

53 minutes ago, bunk said:

So any ungraded frame from the above clip (around time 23 sec) would make my day ;) Cheers.

There you go, http://www.filedropper.com/ungradedslog

I changed my mind about the a6300 after seeing more clips and testings. I do only videos so Bad skin tones, shitty 1080p, jello effect, banding and macroblocking, that's too much to deal with. It was too good on paper to be real in the first place. Now i'll have to sell the batteries,charger,adapter and lenses that i bought/ordered already trying to get ready for the a6300 early. That's what i get for trying to buy a camera that's not out. I still got my bmpcc and i'm getting a gh4 for now and we'll see what small camera comes out in the next months...

1 hour ago, Swiss said:

I changed my mind about the a6300 after seeing more clips and testings. I do only videos so Bad skin tones, shitty 1080p, jello effect, banding and macroblocking, that's too much to deal with. It was too good on paper to be real in the first place. Now i'll have to sell the batteries,charger,adapter and lenses that i bought/ordered already trying to get ready for the a6300 early. That's what i get for trying to buy a camera that's not out. I still got my bmpcc and i'm getting a gh4 for now and we'll see what small camera comes out in the next months...

Take a look at the G7 as well. Amazing value if you don't need all the GH4 features, and even better image quality.

• Administrators

Going to get mine on Thursday now, Sony had a delivery technical issue so they are coming in a few days late here.

Looking forward to it.

I do wish Sony would change their menus, ergonomics, skintones, colour, LOG profile, jello, banding, macroblocking, edge tearing, etc. quite a long list isn't it? You can be assured my coverage won't be a PR smoothie unlike ALL OTHER SITES SEEMINGLY IN EXISTENCE.

Can I just say that Sony have some SUPERB PR people.

39 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Going to get mine on Thursday now, Sony had a delivery technical issue so they are coming in a few days late here.

Looking forward to it.

I do wish Sony would change their menus, ergonomics, skintones, colour, LOG profile, jello, banding, macroblocking, edge tearing, etc. quite a long list isn't it? You can be assured my coverage won't be a PR smoothie unlike ALL OTHER SITES SEEMINGLY IN EXISTENCE.

we'll see how it compares side by side in low light with the nx1

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looking forward to it.

Hey Andrew,
After all the dumping you've been doing on every reviewer, I was surprised to see my video at the top of your blog post. But hey, we all need content right?

32 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

@ Jordan Drake - I find your reviews from a video shooter's perspective valuable and well done. Keep up the great work - your work is appreciated by many of us, I'm sure.

yeah I'll second that ! 

been looking at https://vimeo.com/user803551/videos dl'd a few did my lut's in fcpx - looking NICE AS. :)   

I've spent the last five years shooting with RX100mk1, a 550 and a eos-m mk1 on my doco here in china.. finished shooting that now, this year I'll be doing a few conferences around the world so I'm thinking of getting two of these - one with a wide and one with a  Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS for close ups of the speaker.. i wonder how this would go?

54 minutes ago, Jordan Drake said:

Hey Andrew,
After all the dumping you've been doing on every reviewer, I was surprised to see my video at the top of your blog post. But hey, we all need content right?

It's funny, you guys represent The Camera Store, and have an in-built bias, let alone reason to maintain a good relationship with Sony...

... So the fact you are one of my most trusted reviewers speaks volumes to the hard work you put into your content, and by constantly being fair and consumer minded with your reviews, you have, despite those in-built percieved bias', always "been on my side" when it comes to making a purchase - the respect you get in the community is well earned, and long lasting because I have experienced enough products you have reviewed to know that you have always been absolutely upfront with a products shortcomings. Also, the fact you go through a products shortcomings without pouring vinegar on the product, which may work well for others who don't need that specific feature or can work around it makes you guys an absolute pleasure to watch!

Dpreview has a new article out.  http://***URL removed***/news/7832469254/keeping-up-with-the-action-shooting-the-sony-a6300-in-miami

And was surprised to find this quote.

One easily overlooked improvement on the a6300 is the ease of selecting one's AF point. I like to shoot using the flexible spot. Previously, on the a6000, to move my spot around I needed to first hit the center button on the back click wheel, before hitting any of the direction keys. On the a6300, the center button functions as a toggle. By default a press of one of the direction keys brings up its assigned function. But hit the center button once and the direction keys function as your AF point selector. Whichever function you have the direction keys set to, your choice is sticky (unlike on the a6000), so even if you turn off the camera or pop into the menu, it will default to the last function set (unless you change the mode).

So maybe selecting the autofocus point is not a big issue, and the ability to do so on the a6300 (compared to the a6000) is even praised by some.

About the skin tone, The Camera Store's video was shot on the a6300.  Skin tones looked mostly OK to good.  Except for a few cuts that were really bad (around the 6:12 mark).  

The face looked pinkish and very unhuman-like.  I think the problem was either operator error or the problem can be avoided with proper exposure to the face.  Can be corrected with Colorista.  I'm willing to overlook occasional skin tone correction.