Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

6 hours ago, Blue Fox said:

I would be very, very happy if they did add an USB 3.0 port

USB is really unreliable, especially 3.0, doubt that will happen. With the interference from a USB 3.0 port there would probably be issues with (if available) Wi-Fi as well and who knows what else. Thunderbolt maybe, the BMCC has it, was just hard to get to work with a PC.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, agolex said:

USB is really unreliable, especially 3.0, doubt that will happen. With the interference from a USB 3.0 port there would probably be issues with (if available) Wi-Fi as well and who knows what else. Thunderbolt maybe, the BMCC has it, was just hard to get to work with a PC.

The Video Devices PIX lineup manages to record 4k ProRes to USB 3 hard drive enclosures. Integrating such a system into a camera could be pretty revolutionary. 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, agolex said:

USB 3 unreliable? I very much doubt that. Samsung NX1 has no issues with it and WiFi. Meanwhile it has been on Macbooks for years. No issues with WiFi or reliability issues there.

5 hours ago, Nick Hughes said:

The Video Devices PIX lineup manages to record 4k ProRes to USB 3 hard drive enclosures. Integrating such a system into a camera could be pretty revolutionary. 

Yup. That's why I mentioned:

Maybe a battery grip with some kind of mSata Speeddrive storage solution built-in when shooting 4.6K with it.

... which is exactly what Video Devices uses. But it's a too bulky of a solution to be dealt with in-camera, so I figured you could probably cover it up with a nice battery grip!

3 hours ago, Azoulay said:

Well, you can pretty much get an Hdmi->Usb3 port today for 400$

http://inogeni.com/4k-usb3-0/

Haven't tested it myself, but there are people in BH review section, who say it works with the A7s.

so the tech does exist.

But HDMI gives only 8-bit, while raw over USB 3.0 would give 12bit (with or without Sony RAW compression). So the IQ will be more like the Canon 5DIII, but with 4 times the resolution and twice or 3x the DR.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Azoulay said:

Well, you can pretty much get an Hdmi->Usb3 port today for 400$

http://inogeni.com/4k-usb3-0/

Haven't tested it myself, but there are people in BH review section, who say it works with the A7s.

so the tech does exist.

Would love it if this worked with a AMOLED Samsung tablet's USB slot + app to get the picture up and add a few monitor features.

I still dislike the bulk of monitors and their silly Canon or Sony NP batteries. It's 2016 already c'mon.

I looked into the whole HDMI converter for smartphone a bit and while I didn't try anything it seemed that latancy would be an issue.  What I found was that most of them compress the stream to go over USB and then the CPU on the other side has to decode and that all adds up to lag. I'm not sure if all HDMI to USB converters work this way though.  Uncompressed over USB must exist.

My on topic part is tha as a hybrid shooter the a6300 looks great but the aps-c lens selection is a little limited compared to my Nikon's.  I'm would like something beyond 300mm. Still if the evf blackout is really improved and the af-c works for tracking close to as good as my Nikon's I may be tempted to switch given how messed up the d500's croped video is.  

Btw, have sony said anything if this camera is PAL/NTSC Selectable? I'm looking at some videos online and it seems there's no 24p mode on the PAL version.

Furthermore: I wonder if it will still alert you about the region selection every time you turn it on if you switch it from the default region...?

at the moment the samsung nx500 is $497 shipped with 16-50PZ, sure it is 4k cropped instead of being downsampled from 6k but the bitrate is 40% higher so the 4k image quality should be very close for 1/2 price (the small and sharp 30mm f2 pancake lens is also down to $154) (but the nx500 has a 15min max recording in 4k, is it 30 minutes max on the a6300 ?)

On 2/11/2016 at 11:07 AM, Blue Fox said:

About the perfect camera:

I would be very, very happy if they did add an USB 3.0 port. USB 3.0 is capable of speeds up to 625 MB/s, while 4K RAW video (with Sony RAW compression) is around 500 MB/s for 4K60 (!). And internal prores recording too for when we don't want those insane file sizes :). That way we would be able to record really good quality video on cheap cameras. Just plug in a fast external hard drive over USB and get started. A 512GB SSD would give 2048s recording time (for 4K30), or more than half an hour.

Good 4K cameras exist (a6300, GH4, NX1, a7sII) and most computers have USB 3 ports. Can't these technologies be merged? Imagine the possibilities... Wouldn't 4K30 12bit RAW on the a6300 sensor blow away most of the competition, for a fraction of the price? Handling will never be comparable to professional stuff like the C300 II of course, but... if the image quality is there...

don't expect anything like that  from sony, they have a pro 4k camera segment to protect, the only companies that could have given us the best bang for our buck ( such as 4k raw on usb3) are companies that do not have higher priced 4k camera segment to upsell ( black magic in the begining tried but they now have a higher price range of camera to protect, samsung tried with nx serie but failed as they are getting out of the camera market). let's wait for the next new comer to flip the market upside down - the obvious thing that will change everything is an open firmware where third party developers can add features inside the camera, again samsung started that but they failed (http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/05/28/redesign-your-own-camera-samsung-nx300-nx2000-source-code-released) - do you remember how expensive, crappy and limited where our digital phone services before the smartphone era with the app model, this is where we are now with the digital camera market.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, JurijTurnsek said:

A6300 and NX1 are not comparable at all - the form-factor matters! If Sony had the luxury of a NX1-sized body, 4K60p would be a real possiblity (if they didn't have the FS7 to protect). A6300 should be compared to NX500 or just called a sweetspot between NX1 and NX500.

Doubt it, Sony have heat issues.
If size is what matters I agree, but if one just wants a s35 4K camera I think one definitely should look t the much cheaper NX1.