Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

5 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

So, does this mean we need to do yet another custom Speed Booster?:frown:

I think the existing ULTRA 0.71x is adequate for the following reasons:

1. The "6" series has a 2-year cycle. 2 years later image processors will be faster and be able to do a full readout at 30p (The counter argument to this is, what if the sensor resolution increase more quickly than image processor performance increase?)
  2. There is no crop at 24p. The people doing cinematic work, which is Speed Booster's primary audience, are already happy.
  3. The crop at 30p is not as bad as it sounds. My calculations arrived at 1.9x, which after boosted becomes 1.3x. Canon 1D-C also has a 1.3x 4k crop. Do we HAVE to beat 1D-C up? If we do, there is always the A7RII S35 + Speed Booster, and for A6300 we have already done that at 24p (see 2).

Dwelling more on point number 1, I conjecture something magical will occur at the next resolution increase. The horizontal resolution will become exactly twice UHD, i.e. 7680, for a 7680 x 5120 resolution (39MP). A simpler oversampling algorithm can be employed, and UHD 60p is not unthinkable, without consuming any more processing power. 39MP is the magic resolution which enables 8k. It is just a matter of time, if the industry is indeed heading towards what it says is heading.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Not totally no. Not where I am using it anyway (middle east). The a7r shuts off from heat while the D5300 never does, after hours and hours. It's much less after fw but still exists, enough to exclude it for use without a back up camera, just in case. (That's the A7rII)

And the a6000 is so damn small and dense. Heating is the concern about this camera, a concern affirmed by the 30p situation.

At these specs if it has a nice clean s35 24p 4K image I'd settle for 20+min. bursts with resting between takes 5mins or so. But not less (as in shut off at 12min or so)

11 hours ago, mikegt said:

I think you might be disappointed with the D750.  I owned one for a month but returned it; one of the reasons why is that the video resolution is limited to HD and Nikon is doing some pixel binning or line skipping. I found the level of picture detail & sharpness, while better than most Canon DSLRs, to be disappointing.  I replaced it with a Panasonic G7 (similar to the GH4 you sold).  Shooting in 4K on the G7 and "down-rezzing" it to HD yielded a much sharper image than the D750 was able to produce.  The one advantage the D750 does have is better low light capabilities thanks to it's full frame sensor, but for me at least it was not enough to offset the lack of sharpness and detail in good light.  If your priority is good low light video then an A7SII, which costs only a bit more than a D750, would probably make a better choice.

I uploaded a frame grab from a video I shot on a D750.  As you can see, fine detail on the trees and grass is getting lost due no doubt to line skipping or pixel binning. (you'll need to click on the image and then expand it to full resolution by clicking on the "full size" link on the lower left of the screen to see the lack of detail I'm referring to).

D750_frame.png

The part of the image that is in focus here is the fence closest to the camera. So, what you are looking at here is lack of detail because of everything except the fence is out of focus, it's not the D750 that is soft. Also looks like you might be diffraction limited, shooting at a very tiny aperture. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yup The d750 I use is much sharper than that, even the D5300. Key is disabling in-camera sharpening and doing it in post, & getting correct pin sharp focus/deep DOF (Both pretty tricky to get on a Nikon FF).

With a FF sensor shooting wide scenes like these is not so easy as DOF is nearly always limited to a narrow area, so stopping down to F/8, zooming out, shooting from afar is best way to get deepest DOF. With smaller m43s/gh4/g7/ sensors these sharp scenes are easier to get but the shallow ones are harder. I believe the best compromise is S35 especially with a SB-ready E-mount (A6300).

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Which is that? Schönherrs Foto? Japan Photo? Scandinavian Photo?

I dont recomend Japan Photo. Often expensive.

Stick to Cyberphoto, Fotokungen, Rajala and Scandinavian (even though scandinavian can be pricy compared to the others).

52 minutes ago, araucaria said:

Top secret.

Why?

56 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I dont recomend Japan Photo. Often expensive.

Stick to Cyberphoto, Fotokungen, Rajala and Scandinavian (even though scandinavian can be pricy compared to the others).

Why?

cyberphoto has the best customer service i've experienced so i highly recommend them to anyone!

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

cyberphoto has the best customer service i've experienced so i highly recommend them to anyone!

Yup, and they include candy in the box :)

Their email list is worth to be on. Gave me 20% the NX1 when it was just released and a couple of similar deals on lenses and other cameras.

2 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Not totally no. Not where I am using it anyway (middle east). The a7r shuts off from heat while the D5300 never does, after hours and hours. It's much less after fw but still exists, enough to exclude it for use without a back up camera, just in case. (That's the A7rII)

And the a6000 is so damn small and dense. Heating is the concern about this camera, a concern affirmed by the 30p situation.

At these specs if it has a nice clean s35 24p 4K image I'd settle for 20+min. bursts with resting between takes 5mins or so. But not less (as in shut off at 12min or so)

If we do the math, 2.4x oversample at 24p would have meant that 1.92x oversample is possible at 30p, but only 1.6x is used. There is a 20% headroom remaining for heat dissipation. This time, it is 24p overheating that we have to worry about, although without the actual camera this remains pure speculation.

If it were Blackmagic, they would simply put a fan in the camera, but Sony couldn't do that. It seems like with firmware alone Sony has resolved most of the issue, because the occurrence seems to have become rare recently. I am very hopeful that Sony has learned and pay extra attention to heat dissipation in its newer body designs. Fingers crossed.

• Super Members
59 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It gets simpler if you divide them between "available" and "shipping in January." :P

Sure but one thing you got to give them. They are all still current and selling. I mean the a6300 will be replaced and discontinued before Tuesday ;)

3 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Sure but one thing you got to give them. They are all still current and selling. I mean the a6300 will be replaced and discontinued before Tuesday ;)

Oh, completely agreed. My film student friends laughed when I bought Blackmagic instead of Sony, but guess whose stuff looks better? Guess whose camera still gets talked about? Guess whose camera cost 1/3 the price of a used A7S?

This guy. :D

On February 6, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Andrew Reid said:

So to recap on the all important crops...

24p = no crop Super 35mm 4K (1.5x crop vs full frame)
30p = 2.3x crop 4K
120p = 2.3x crop 1080p

Looks like the Samsung NX1 has an ace card here.

But I am sure the A6300 will have the dynamic range advantage... and proper LOG profile.

Are all of these crops with full readout instead of the usual aliasing and moire filled line skipping? Obviously we haven' seen footage yet, but I can live with the 1080p crops if the image is clean. Also, I thought there'd be more obvious rolling shutter with the spinning wheels, hopefully this is a good sign.

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 9.43.40 AM.png