Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

• Super Members
1 hour ago, dsp_418 said:

Not really.

A6000 is now $498 on Amazon. What was it back in 2014? $649?

It took more than a few weeks to get to this price and is about %77 of the original price.

Other Sonys may follow a worst scenario. A7s is barely 12% less than the original price after all this time.

I dont shop at amazon. 

A brand new a6000 is down to 68.2% to be exact. And used its of course 50% or lesss for a mint condition thats been used once or twice.

Ive said it before, buy used. Even if its just one hour old, still boxed and sealed you save atleast 20%. If its been used it drops fast.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So to recap on the all important crops...

24p = no crop Super 35mm 4K (1.5x crop vs full frame)
30p = 2.3x crop 4K
120p = 2.3x crop 1080p

Looks like the Samsung NX1 has an ace card here.

But I am sure the A6300 will have the dynamic range advantage... and proper LOG profile.

On the A7SII, the 4K looks far superior to the 120fps HD mode, understandably.

Because of the crop, noise and macro locking in Slog2 is far more visible - especially colour noise. Also, the aesthetic is very very different, quite obviously. You need a different set of lenses to get a similar look to the full frame/S35 footage (or a Speedbooster if using non-Sony lenses). Sony A6300 buyers should be aware ;) 

Recently I've been surprised by the results coming from the A7SII. If Slog2 is exposed and graded correctly, it's absolutely amazing. I expect the A6300 should be similar. 

I'm curiously watching the FS5's progress and FS Raw. All together, it seems like a nice family of cameras that can shoot near enough anything that can be matched perfectly in post. 

Sony's colour leaves a lot to be desired for sure, but they will only get better. (A7SII colour is much improved over original). A 10-bit out would be magic (for future). 

Stills wise - I still much prefer Canon just for the feel and quality of the images. :) 

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

A brand new a6000 is 60-70% of its original price today. Like all Sonys, if I want an a6300 I will pay 70% just a few weeks after release.

Either way, I would get the D750 or a Blackmagic.

The a6300 is a camera I would never buy without testing. Sony has lost my trust completly when it comes to shiny spec sheets.

Might be a killer camera but I wont risk it untill I know.

Agree completely about the shiny spec sheets. Currently shooting with A6000, RX10 II and A7R II, all of which fall short of the hype in real working conditions. Especially the rolling shutter of the A7R II...

• Super Members
1 minute ago, DPC said:

Agree completely about the shiny spec sheets. Currently shooting with A6000, RX10 II and A7R II, all of which fall short of the hype in real working conditions. Especially the rolling shutter of the A7R II...

Been there. I mean the cameras are great, no question. Just not as great as the hype.

12 hours ago, dsp_418 said:

I don't see the touchscreen as an important feature.

If I'm shooting with a Gymbal I can't use it anyway, other than that I'm using manual focus lenses, so for focusing purpose doesn't help either.

After I assign a couple of options to the F keys, I'm good to go.

Lol, a touchscreen makes a huge difference. Infinitely better than having to muck around with some sort of joystick.

10 hours ago, dsp_418 said:

I don't think so. The A6000 for instance, except for very short periods never had a significant decrease price wise. Who has been lucky had saved about 100 bucks.

$400 less for a new product like the A6300, even after an half a year in the market is not realistic.

If you look at Canon's corresponding camera, the 7DII, the price has plummeted like a rock since release, so 30-40% drops are not unrealistic if a camera doesn't sell. It all depends on how much demand and competition in that sector there is.

12 hours ago, dsp_418 said:

I don't see the touchscreen as an important feature.

If I'm shooting with a Gymbal I can't use it anyway, other than that I'm using manual focus lenses, so for focusing purpose doesn't help either.

After I assign a couple of options to the F keys, I'm good to go.

Have you used a camera with a touchscreen. Until I used one, I didn't realise the ease and necessity of having one, either. Almost like a Laptop with touchscreen. It's a completely different experience. And on cameras the focus point is So Much more precise. And much faster. 

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So to recap on the all important crops...

24p = no crop Super 35mm 4K (1.5x crop vs full frame)
30p = 2.3x crop 4K
120p = 2.3x crop 1080p

Looks like the Samsung NX1 has an ace card here.

But I am sure the A6300 will have the dynamic range advantage... and proper LOG profile.

The compact body could be the cause of this crop factor. Processing power needed for full sensor readout may need a larger space for cooling, and that's probably why NX1 is much larger but is able to do full sensor readout, while the NX500 is not.

If 25p is also full sensor it will be fine for EU users, but 30p with crop is not forgivable. It seems they are planning for a A7100 or something with full sensor readout.

Well, this is a pleasant surprise!   I do a YouTube show that averages 800,000 - 1.5 million views a month, and shoot roughly 3 episodes a week, all on the subject of music production.   The A7s has been my go to camera over the last 16 months.    "Autumn leaves" mode gives great color & skin tones right out of the box with minimal dicking around.   I simply can't afford to waste time grading.  (more power to you guys who are great at it)   I've been looking for a B-camera for the A7s for the last little while, and the A7rii was looking like a serious (but damn expensive) contender.   The Blackmagic Micro even looked pretty good too, although I'm none to impressed with vaporware.   But the a6300 is a total game changer!   I really need a multi camera setup, and for this price, I might just buy two!

I would welcome the 2.3x crop at 24p (as an option) as well.  So depending on rolling shutter - this will be my next camera body addition.

Really excited to see Andrew get his hands on one and give us one of his no-non-sense reviews.

For the person purchasing a video capture system the a6300 and the Sony 18-105 pz will be the a strong contender at retail vs the other options which includes a 16-50 kit lens.  I would choose this combination if I needed auto focus in video, power zoom, constant aperture, image stabilization, internal 4k, high ISO, S-Log2/3, high res viewfinder,  mic input.  Hopefully it won't have any major flaws at launch.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:38 AM, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Don't expect a S35 or exotic sensors in the GH5 - probably will be the 20mp sensor from the GX8 and Olympus Pen F. They are with the hands tied by Sony - Panasonic was not developing sensors from a long time, just recently they started again (read it somewhere). The organic sensors are still in the future too, I guess. PDAF is probably out, too - looks like that Panasonic bets all in the DFD technology.

The only way to improve the low light perfomance with the current tech is to go the BSI way; but Sony is holding the technology for their cameras - their clients are not receiving BSI sensors, only the Sony cameras. Samsung is the only other sensor manufacturer that makes a large BSI sensor (in the NX1), but looks like that they are out of the game (a GH5 with a Samsung BSI sensor would be great).

The A6300 might be a low light monster - if the BSI tech in its sensor is the same from the A7RII, the pixel pitch of the sensor will be even greater than the A7RII.

Personality,i think panasonic intent develop new Auto Focus tech for new GH.

Because DFD on video can't compare to Dual pixel,NX1 continue-af and Sony 4D AF.

On 30p crop: the press release says 2.4x oversampling (6k equivalent) at 24p. This 2.4x is area, not linear, because the press release says "2.4x as many pixels". Linear would have been 1.55x. 3840 x 1.55 = 5949 (6k, in fact).

The press release says 1.6x at 30p. Not having the camera itself, let's apply the same calculation: 1.26x oversampling (linear), 4857 pixels across (5k readout). We know S35 A7RII can do a 5k readout at 30p and downsample to UHD with excellent quality, so A6300 is just bringing that technology over. The sensor width is 23.5mm. So the cropped width is 4857 / 6000 * 23.5 = 19mm, that is slightly more than half the width of full frame. When people say the crop is 'two-ish' it is in comparison to full frame.

Hope my logic is sound! The 30p crop is not as bad as it appears.

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I dont shop at amazon. 

A brand new a6000 is down to 68.2% to be exact. And used its of course 50% or lesss for a mint condition thats been used once or twice.

Ive said it before, buy used. Even if its just one hour old, still boxed and sealed you save atleast 20%. If its been used it drops fast.

Amazon, B&H and Adorama they're all on the same range, buck less, buck more.

These are the places I trust to buy my gears.

I assumed we weren't talking about a used one, otherwise of course there are other resources.

I've bought a A5000 for $140 off eBay in mint condition, never used, after only a few weeks it was on the market.

9 hours ago, tugela said:

Lol, a touchscreen makes a huge difference. Infinitely better than having to muck around with some sort of joystick.

If you look at Canon's corresponding camera, the 7DII, the price has plummeted like a rock since release, so 30-40% drops are not unrealistic if a camera doesn't sell. It all depends on how much demand and competition in that sector there is.

Canon is not Sony, and among their arsenal, 7D is not like others camera.

So, yes, for the 7D is not unrealistic. For Sonys is a different story.

16 hours ago, richg101 said:

I imagine using maybe a speed booster 0.64x bmcc version on a M4/3 to E-mount adaptor ring will make that 120p 2.3x crop an advantage.

Bear in mind that the M4/3 to E-mount adaptor rings (I have only seen one type available) are reported to lose infinity focus on certain lenses. So it looks like they are slightly thicker than they should be.  I would imagine a speedbooster has to be pretty precise.

1 hour ago, araucaria said:

The secret,exclusive and miraculous Mattias Burling Stores, am I right?

Up here in the Nordic we've always had strong laws protecting consumers - even before the 2 year warranty on all electronics that applies to EU. People often ask why cameras are more expensive in EU. Besides VAT, manufacturers tend to put higher prices on electronics in Europe since there's a longer warranty.

I wouldn't either buy my cameras from Amazon instead of getting them from the local shops. I rather wait a few months for price to drop and get my nice warranty.

5 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Considering what we know now, what would you guys recommend for lens combo's with a nikon to e-mount speedbooster?

For wide shots with speedbooster I'd recommend trying to get a 16-35 f/4 (If you're on a tight budget, have a look for used ones, I've seen used ones for about 500-600 euro in Sweden). Very sharp full-frame lens for 4k. That lens will be pretty wide even at the crop modes.

I love the AI-S 50mm f/1.8 with speed booster on my NEX - a good allround pancake 50mm, makes for a really compact setup. Same goes for the AI-S 28mm f/2.8 and the AI-S 85mm f/2, still fairly compact setups with speedbooster, although they aren't pancake lenses.