Sony a6300 4k

Nikkor

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The autofocus of the a6000 was the first and only one i would actually consider using as a videographer and the a6300 seems to be even better.

We've had very different experiences it seems. I found the AF unusable in video mode. Not anywhere close to being in the same league as Canon's dual pixel offerings, at least in my experience. Maybe i was going about it wrong

sony keeps making perfect specd consumer cameras that somehow don`t work that well.

I hate a7s footage as it breaks just before I get the colors right. 10bit via hdmi to a prores recorder and it would be a dream and yes, I know I am nitpicking here as in what do you expect for a 1k camera...well, I expect a usefull codec to grade that slog, otherwise just leave it out.

I would want that too, but not even the FS5 has it and that's quite mucho dinero in comparison. I think 10bit will be "the next big thing" with cameras, seeing as how it's in the new Premium UHD standard, but probably in 2018.

It's consistent with the A7 line offering. I think many people had unrealistic expectations, this is a 1000$ consumer camera, they won't go and use it to kill off their premium line with it.

I don't think this is the camera they expect people to buy the G Master lenses for. 1000$ body, 2400$ 24-70 2.8?

Yeah, you're right. I really didn't intend to imply that the target for the G lenses was the same as the a6300. It's just that from my budget constrained amateurish perspective I really wished (and been wishing) that Sony had focused on those issues (stabilization, color, better ergonomics, good for the price lenses) instead of the other features.

I would want that too, but not even the FS5 has it and that's quite mucho dinero in comparison. I think 10bit will be "the next big thing" with cameras, seeing as how it's in the new Premium UHD standard, but probably in 2018.

unfortunatly yes. it just pisses me of, because I will have to buy the camera, the specs are just to goo for a pocket camera, but I know I will be pulling my hair out grading it. If I didn`t do color a well I would be thrilled :)

The lack of touch screen is unforgiveable. 

For all the people that moan that pros don't need a touch screen in models like the A7 and RX series, seeing Dan Chung's News Shooter touch screen demo clearly illustrates the focus pulling-like capabilities a touch screen offers. 

What's the point of having state-of-the-art PDAF without having easy access to focus point selection?

Yeah, you're right. I really didn't intend to imply that the target for the G lenses was the same as the a6300. It's just that from my budget constrained amateurish perspective I really wished (and been wishing) that Sony had focused on those issues (stabilization, color, better ergonomics, good for the price lenses) instead of the other features.

It's just the general trend. If you look at the lenses that Sony, Canon and Nikon have recently announced it's to 99% either really really expensive or plain uninteresting. Luckily there's the Sigma ART series for those of us who want performing autofocus lenses and still be able to pay rent.

unfortunatly yes. it just pisses me of, because I will have to buy the camera, the specs are just to goo for a pocket camera, but I know I will be pulling my hair out grading it. If I didn`t do color a well I would be thrilled :)

I'm feeling you. I love the NX1 but the system is dead and not compatible with accessories I have (and that will never be fixed) so I'll have to decide between color (Blackmagic, Canon) and 4k / HighFrameRate / LowLight (Sony)... or you have to be filthy rich and get a sherpa to carry your RED Weapon for you. I was really short away from just going meh and buying a A7rII or A7sII but then both have downsides and after test-grading some footage I downloaded I'm not sure Sony give me at my skill-level colors that make me happy.

• Administrators

The lack of touch screen is unforgiveable. 

For all the people that moan that pros don't need a touch screen in models like the A7 and RX series, seeing Dan Chung's News Shooter touch screen demo clearly illustrates the focus pulling-like capabilities a touch screen offers. 

What's the point of having state-of-the-art PDAF without having easy access to focus point selection?

You make a good point, it should have a direct AF point joystick and a touch screen.

Also hope the rolling shutter doesn't kill it.

20MP is a lot of lines to roll out.

We've had very different experiences it seems. I found the AF unusable in video mode. Not anywhere close to being in the same league as Canon's dual pixel offerings, at least in my experience. Maybe i was going about it wrong

Touch screen on the A5100 with face tracking is mean as! :d

It's consistent with the A7 line offering. I think many people had unrealistic expectations, this is a 1000$ consumer camera, they won't go and use it to kill off their premium line with it.

I don't think this is the camera they expect people to buy the G Master lenses for. 1000$ body, 2400$ 24-70 2.8?

Why not?? I'd rather spend more on lenses than the body, as that is what will last longer.

Yeah, I kinda expected something like this, although I wished for a tad bit more (was hoping they'd up the ergonomics a bit, more like a E-M5II, with as well the double dials and vari-angle touchscreen). I figured IBIS was a stretch, although that would've been a awesome feature.

Still though, they did do it... they've brought features from the likes of the RX10M2, RX100M4, A7RII and A7SII to it! Something I thought they wouldn't do... want serious video? Pay serious money. But no, we do get the 4K and 1080p high frame rate as well as S-Log 2 & 3 and efficient XAVC-S codec, as well as uncrompressed HDMI output! I like the D5300, but I love mirrorless. I feel like APS-C is where it's at if you want performance value. The Micro Four Thirds system just falls a little short. And with APS-C and a focal reducer you can still make the magic happen. And the Veydras have a user swappable mount from M43 to E-mount, as well as all the other adapting possibilties. I dunno. It's not everything I wished for, but it's enough to get me excited! Will have to digg through all the (p)reviews before I'll pull the trigger, but so far... count me in! :)

Most of Sony's aps-c lenses are stabilized. Only time will tell if Sony is going to move IBIS down the line or keep it on the A7's. I think given the size of FE lenses there's definitely space for a larger, top of the line crop body with IBIS that sells in the $1500 range. I'd buy one, FE lenses are getting too damn big and the new ones are the largest yet.

I wonder if we're ever going to see any more lenses like the 28/2, 35/2.8 and 55/1.8 - all are small with good IQ and one is pretty cheap, the others can be had at good used prices. Sony's FE lens strategy is making me reconsider my decision to wrap my kit around the A7's. Crop lenses and a speedbooster covers pretty much everything.

It sounds great, but after my recent experience with my A6000 I really hesitant to buy a new Sony again.

My A6000, after a year and a month (of course, never withing the warranty time), started behaving crazy. Now, most of the time, I can take a picture or two, then none of the buttons work, none of them. I tried everything but no luck. The customer service didn't help much. The worst thing is if I want it repaired from an authorized center I've to ship it to Connecticut, and the average cost of the service it's around $250! On the Sony forum they just don't respond.

So, after this experience, despite the new A6300 sounds really exciting, I think these companies should give customers a better support, but they actually don't care because people keep buying their stuff.

Sorry, this went a little OT, but to me a new camera also means think for a moment about their support, because theoretically any new camera can have issues.

If it overheats it is totally useless for event/weddings unless you rig it up to external recorder, might as well get a7rii/a7sii with IBIS (Just got myself A7RII and Zeiss 24-70mm combo for $2800, minus the lens so A7RII is around $2100 which is the same price as A6300 + Ninja Assassin)

This camera is great. However, it will just kill the A7II, which costs $1600. No reason for anyone to buy it. I hope sony adds 4k through a firmware update or so. 

Full frame snobs and other photographers will still prefer the A7 mk2 over the A6300.

Ive been burned by Sonys DR estimates enough times to say:

No way it will have 14 stops of usable DR in daylight.

But would of course love to be proven wrong.

You think the D750 will do better?