Film Grain

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

So I did a lot of tests, and this is what worked best for me for vimeo.

- Render/upscale as 4K Prores HQ (3840 x 2160). (bitrates always at least same bitrate as the one I recorded A7S ii 60fps 50mbit)
- If prores acts up and makes strange artifacts, remove "render as best quality".
- GorillaGrain 10%

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have been simplifying my post workflow and to practice I've been messing with some old D5500 footage. I decided to stop using Color Finale, Film Convert and Colorista and only use the basic tools in FCPX.

The D5500 has proven to be a great camera for this simplified process... just enough DR to handle a little post processing but not enough to let me get out of hand.

With my latest tests I have been using some Film Grain from Red Giant Renoiser. I have been using it at default but I think it may be too much... even for Vimeo's compression. Any film grain tips would be greatly appreciated.

23 minutes ago, Grimor said:

What about blending mode?

Always think that "overlay" was the correct way, but recently some people claims that "soft light" gives better results.

Yeah it may be more subtle by buying some gorilla grain and doing an overlay or a blend. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought it looked about right except for shots with people in them. Then it lost too much sharpness.  Maybe at 75 to 80 percent could work?

But Mattias had this in a topic he replied to you awhile ago. This IS the look you are looking for, just do it LoL.

Yeah, you're right. I already have a cage, a Metabones Nikon BMPCC Speedbooster, an extra Pocket Battery, so I need to just get a Pocket cam and be done with it, but I just really like the IBIS on the a6500... and the clean 1080p on my D5500... and the point and shoot aspect of my RX10ii... I need to just go back to screenwriting...

56 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah great product, but isn't it sort of a Mac OS product only?

I don't think so... I think Gorilla Grain comes as an MOV file that you add as an overlay.

Well I never used any Nikon camera for video, I realize they are not as bad as people might think, but a Pocket is for the money I think impossible not to have, just for the hell of it.

It is sort of like a cheap movie camera of the 50's 60's, a thing that makes you smile when you kook at it's output, good or bad. It is different, and a damn good different. It is great different.  :glasses:

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I never used any Nikon camera for video, I realize they are not as bad as people might think, but a Pocket is for the money I think impossible not to have, just for the hell of it.

It is sort of like a cheap movie camera of the 50's 60's, a thing that makes you smile when you kook at it's output, good or bad. It is different, and a damn good different. It is great different.  :glasses:

I'm so spoiled by IBIS, I'm unsure I can go back to a tripod or monopod. I shot that D5500 video last September and I don't think I've used a monopod or tripod since. Do you know how well OIS lenses work with the Pocket cam?  I'm half tempted to buy a Metabones EF to BMPCC speedbooster and that Sigma 17-50mm... just so I can shoot handheld. 

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

I'm so spoiled by IBIS, I'm unsure I can go back to a tripod or monopod. I shot that D5500 video last September and I don't think I've used a monopod or tripod since. Do you know how well OIS lenses work with the Pocket cam?  I'm half tempted to buy a Metabones EF to BMPCC speedbooster and that Sigma 17-50mm... just so I can shoot handheld. 

Well the best ones I have used, and read about being "Better" are Panasonic native lenses. Non are fast focusing on it. But OIS does seem to work. The few Canon lenses I see seen to be the cheaper STM ones. They are wide if you want, have OIS, cheap. The old favorite is the 24-105mm F4. No speed demon light gathering wise or focus wise, but it does ha a good range an OIS with a Speed Booster. Big heavy lens though.

The Panny 20 1.7 is my favorite walk around one. It is a damn small package. Slow focusing no IOS though, not that wide on a BMPCC, but fast aperture..

BMPCC is not going to be a Olympus EM1 mkII for imagine stabilization! We can only wish for that LoL. It is becoming a realization that it is damn nice not to have to carry a damn tripod, Gimbal that is for sure. Envy on that point if your Nikon D5500 is making that happen.

On 12/02/2016 at 2:32 AM, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Cant get it to work :/

I might be late to the party, but i think it's worth saying.

You can read ProRes on a PC but you cannot render/write ProRes on a PC, not with Premiere, not with Resolve. There's a "kind of" ProRes that's retro engineered (can't remember the brand) but it's not the true/real/official ProRes, ProRes is Mac exclusive (for exports) you'll just lose time trying to get it, and it won't be ProRes anyway. On a PC go for DNx.

2 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@mercer

Is there a substancial difference in overall video IQ between the D5500 and the D750? I'm just asking because I never hold the D5500 in my hands...

Other than the D750 being full frame and the D5500 being aps-c, the codecs and bitrates are the same. The D750 does have some extra features though... like zebras, a better movie menu, ability to meter with ai-s lenses, etc...

If you decide to go with the D5500, you may want to pick up a 5600 instead, it has a couple minor video features that are missing from the 5500... like smooth movie time lapse.

@mercer

Thank you! I know about the D750, I own it. I was just curious about the D5500 because I saw it very often as travel / second camera in the hand of photography pros but never saw this little and very capable camera hyped for video shooting. Though, your D5500 footage is very pleasant...Did you correct / graded it much?

23 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@mercer

Thank you! I know about the D750, I own it. I was just curious about the D5500 because I saw it very often as travel / second camera in the hand of photography pros but never saw this little and very capable camera hyped for video shooting. Though, your D5500 footage is very pleasant...Did you correct / graded it much?

That footage I didn't grade much at all. I shot the footage with my Nikkor 28mm f2 lens in the Flat Profile, corrected exposure, added some saturation and a little tint. Very little done to it. I was going for a slight "vintage" look.

In this screengrab, I used the Sigma 17-50mm lens with a similar post technique but went for a little more "modern" look...

IMG_0934.JPG

Again, I went a touch overboard with film grain. 

I really have been enjoying this little camera, so much so, I am contemplating getting a D500 for 4K and the EIS in 1080p.