Film Grain

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On February 4, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Volker Schmidt said:

It's only The Canon 24-70 L  F2,8, love this Lens! Definetly a Lens with 'character'.

Feel the same way about the Nikkor 28-70 2.8; it's got an aperture ring and looks great wide open. And you can find one for under a grand, I got mine for $700.

9 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Def. better, however the file is huge and way to big to be uploaded...a 2 min clip got me around 8gb :/

What format exactly did you use? DNxHR is supposed for resolutions above FullHD apparently and always has 4:2:2 color (which you probably don't need).

I think we should make some tests which bitrate is the best DNxHD for VIMEO upload. There's a huge table on wikipedia that shows which version is for which fps, bitrate and color depth. Makes probably no sense to use the high end one with 10bit color to deliver 8bit material. I think DNxHR might be overkill and one of these middle of the line DNxHD the best tradeoff.

I think it's a bit annoying that there's no ProRes on Windows and no DNxHD on Mac. I heard the non native (reverse engineered?) implementation of the Quicktime codecs is why you can get gamma shifts.

16 hours ago, Phil A said:

What format exactly did you use? DNxHR is supposed for resolutions above FullHD apparently and always has 4:2:2 color (which you probably don't need).

I think we should make some tests which bitrate is the best DNxHD for VIMEO upload. There's a huge table on wikipedia that shows which version is for which fps, bitrate and color depth. Makes probably no sense to use the high end one with 10bit color to deliver 8bit material. I think DNxHR might be overkill and one of these middle of the line DNxHD the best tradeoff.

I think it's a bit annoying that there's no ProRes on Windows and no DNxHD on Mac. I heard the non native (reverse engineered?) implementation of the Quicktime codecs is why you can get gamma shifts.

We should also test cineform as well !

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bring this topic back up. But this is something I run in against every single time. So I am doing some tests(youtube).

-H264: 10 bitrate ==> 35mm grain =>unusable
- DNxHD: 195 (windows so MXF) ==> 35mm grain => only slightly better

Will try to upload later today with H264 huge bitrate and try with 8mm grain. (will also test out the quicktime render settings).