Canon 1DX II - Video Camera Perspective - Mini interview on the missing details

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

9 minutes ago, PeterGregg said:

I like the comment the the camera is like a mirrorless camera when in LiveView with the mirror up.

I would like to know if the camera can shoot a totally silent still image in this (or any) mode with no shutter sound?

Peter

Canon's implementation of this in 1DX II is the ability to pull still in camera from 4K video.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Amazing AF and impressive 4k60p. With Canon colours and ergonomics and lenses. Sounds great.... 

But I do not have 6k to put in a camera. If only the 5DIV would have those specs.

But 5DIV will have 4k30p and 2k60p unfortunately. 
What a mess, each time a new product is released it's always missing some features another product has. 

Would Canon ever give us a mirrorless camera in a 5D body with touch screen tilt screen and 1DXII video specs? 

Nope. 

Sony has the specs but I sold my A7RII already. It is a non joy to use. A pure shit actually in everything but specs. I spent my 2 weeks shooting with it in Cuba changing settings all the time instead of actually shooting.

3 hours ago, Taranis said:

Some new stuff:

You can find an ungraded version on Vimeo, but it does not play here for some reason:

I really want to hate this camera, but it looks great, will be rock solid and will record 4k @ 60 fps... Someone save my wallet!!!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

These are the two frames where I saw a defect, first one is noise, which looks like 50.000/100.000 ISO or something, and the second is over exposed burning her skin. Overally I am very impressed with the image, very high resolution & very nice colours, yet C-Log would have helped a lot in all these high dynamic range shots. The fact that these are ungraded at Standard says a lot: 

Image1.thumb.jpg.3f7b644029fad5f82f21d67

Image4.thumb.jpg.86f4ca4b6ea85700d1694a1

Image3.thumb.jpg.fa69a38e535397fa832e331

Image2.thumb.jpg.5c7201e96e98a31acb0fb61

• Administrators

Sadly Canon are keeping the 1D C in the range which explains why the 1D X Mark II must be gimped even at $6k to be without one of the most important features, C-LOG, something the $2k XC10 piece of shit even has.

At the BVE show in London I was at, Canon had the 1D C on the stand next to the 1D X Mark II, so clearly don't intend to phase it out any time soon.

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

hmmm i downloaded the "original" 4.3GB file from vimeo and im not impressed. where am i wrong?

the exact same scenes that concerned me.. but the noise is at least more even than it looked viewing online.

in the description it said they were testing high and low isos, hopefully these were both super high iso

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sadly Canon are keeping the 1D C in the range which explains why the 1D X Mark II must be gimped even at $6k to be without one of the most important features, C-LOG, something the $2k XC10 piece of shit even has.

At the BVE show in London I was at, Canon had the 1D C on the stand next to the 1D X Mark II, so clearly don't intend to phase it out any time soon.

Surely the 1DC is now due an imminent update? 

If I remember correctly, the 1DC is a 1DX with a heatsink and 4K. 

To diffrentiate a new 1DC II for the 1DX II, surely it would need all the specs of the 1DX II and internal 10 bit? I can't think of much else (realistically). Peaking perhaps? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

From what I fell there isn't going to be a 1DCII, and the 1DXII with its 4K60P DCI is a merge between the 1DX & 1DC as the 1DX was a merge between the 1D MKIV & 1DS MKIII. It's the top of Canon DSLR technological ability, not much room for upgrading (within realism & Canon philosophy) aside from C-Log and lifting the EU tax limit, which does not warrant an upgrade of making a totally separate product line. Canon wants cinema shooters to buy the 1DXII. 

If they throw-in C-Log before shipping or later on the 1DC line would be officially dead. 

31 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

From what I fell there isn't going to be a 1DCII, and the 1DXII with its 4K60P DCI is a merge between the 1DX & 1DC as the 1DX was a merge between the 1D MKIV & 1DS MKIII. It's the top of Canon DSLR technological ability, not much room for upgrading (within realism & Canon philosophy) aside from C-Log and lifting the EU tax limit, which does not warrant an upgrade of making a totally separate product line. Canon wants cinema shooters to buy the 1DXII. 

If they throw-in C-Log before shipping or later on the 1DC line would be officially dead. 

But what about 10bit recording?

8 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

This 1DX II could really do with C-log looking at the recent clips, and a lot of filmmakers won't buy it otherwise. 

I hope we do see a 1DC II with 10 bit... that would just be a marvellous camera. :) I'd be forced to save my money!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/13/2016 at 9:39 AM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

The difference in the sound is stark, STM lenses are dead quiet, ghost-quiet, no sound at all while operation, while USM lenses Roar in pride! The speed in stills AF the USM motor is stronger and makes powerful pushes, gets fast AF. While STM motors are physically weaker in built, and acquire final stills AF slower, all things being equal. 

There's something worthy of notion: there are no STM lenses for the 1DXII, (all of them are APS-C/S35 - so won't cover the 1.3x in most cases)

Except for the Canon EF 24-105mm STM IS, a variable aperture lens (not the f/4 L). (Which does send a message that Canon will release later STM FF lens)

However using the USM and all Canon lenses DPAF works 100% smoothly. Just any on-camera microphone will pick-up sound, real good ugly roaring sound...

Just to be clear... I can use any Canon USM lens on the 1DXII and use DPAF face tracking while shooting 4K video?