Canon 1DX II - Video Camera Perspective - Mini interview on the missing details

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

5 hours ago, Shield3 said:

Thanks.  I am saving up already.  I shoot 50/50 stills and video so it will be perfect.  What it lacks I will just throw on my LCDVFE for peaking and histograms, though I doubt I'll use the former much with PDAF touch screen.  Sorry I am still just too excited - finally a camera I can own and use for years.  4k60 and 120p 1080, 14 FPS and Canon EF mount and colors.  CPS support. DSLR stealth vs a big rig.  Take my money already!

Exactly. I can sell my 5D3 because there is a finally a camera that completely replaces it. You can still get close to 2k for a used 5D3.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 06/02/2016 at 0:22 PM, mikegt said:

I think it's a bit shameful that in early 2016 we can buy for around $1,000 interchangeable lens cameras from Sony and Panasonic that record 4K video, but are being asked to pay a minimum of $6,000 for the same thing from Canon - with less video features than the other manufacturers offer on their $1,000 models !

I've been looking around the internets, but can't seem to track down all these full frame, industry leading stills cameras, that also shoot 4K/60fps (4:2:2, high bitrate).. being sold by Sony, Panasonic etc for $1000. Can you share the links?

I also think it's a bit shameful that in early 2016 we can buy for around $100 some phones/cameras from "insert Chinese brand" that record 4K video, but are being asked to pay a minimum of $1,000 for the same thing from sony and Panasonic... Because that is 100% how the real world works, especially comparing apples to oranges.

God only knows the shame that Arri must feel about their prices... Not even 4K lolz

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I've been looking around the internets, but can't seem to track down all these full frame, industry leading stills cameras, that also shoot 4K/60fps (4:2:2, high bitrate).. being sold by Sony, Panasonic etc for $1000. Can you share the links?

I also think it's a bit shameful that in early 2016 we can buy for around $100 some phones/cameras from "insert Chinese brand" that record 4K video, but are being asked to pay a minimum of $1,000 for the same thing from sony and Panasonic... Because that is 100% how the real world works, especially comparing apples to oranges.

God only knows the shame that Arri must feel about their prices... Not even 4K lolz

This is definitely one of the more obtuse posts I've read on this forum - you are deliberately trying to distort what I'm saying.

> $100 some phones/cameras from "insert Chinese brand" that record 4K video

You can't change the lens on a phone, or even change the focal length. We are talking about cameras made for enthusiasts here, not for selfies.

I never said anything about the price having to be $1,000.  If you want 4K and a full-frame sensor, the Sony cameras offer both and cost thousands less than the 1DXII, plus Sony includes the video features left out of the 1DXII (see below).

In any case, decent 4K does not require a full-size sensor.  You seem to be deliberately missing the point here, which is that Sony, Panasonic and BlackMagic offer 4K cameras that are affordable for most folks.  Canon chooses not to, and this is not due to any technical reason - they are protecting their high-priced Cinema line.

They are protecting their Cinema line to such an extent that even the $6,000 1DXII has been compromised to meet that goal, by leaving out features like modern codecs, focus and exposure aids, Log, 4K HDMI out, raw video, etc., etc - all features Canon is willing to give you in the $16,000 C300, which is their cheapest Cinema line camera that can do 4K.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

When did practically become the No1 factor in filmmaking?

Personally, while I like many things about this camera, there are a few things that will keep if off my list. Why no 10 bit color... Especially since this is the new standard. And the codec sucks... That is it sucks a lot of memory. Frankly, too much. And while in a multi-million dollar production shot on a closed set practicality might not matter, for run and gun gorilla style film making it counts for a lot.

And let be honest, at this price point Canon  could have done 10 bit and given it 4k  10 bit output. It's not exactly cheap at $6k. The average US household income in 2015 was 53k per year.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Got this:

''Canon Dual-Pixel AF is not deactivated at HFR modes as on all previous implementations. It's fully functional at 4K60P and HD120P speed.'' 

''HD120P has a maximum recording time of approx. 7 minutes, as 4x slow-motion internal conforming must result in maximum 29:59min clips."

''HD120P is recorded in an ALL-I 360mbps H.264 codec in an MOV. wrapper.

''4K 60p (59.9p) is confirmed to only work with CFast 2.0 media''

''Canon officially advises using CFast 2.0 Cards for recording 4K video" 

''There are no official future plans to release Canon Log, however user feedback is always a top consideration to us."

''1DX MKII is by far the highest quality built material and environment resistance in the entire Canon EOS line-up history.''

Off-record:

''1DXII is slightly sharper & more detailed with a more colorful, punchy image compared to the 1DC.'' (me, Probably just lack of C-log :( Looks he shot all in Standard default PS)

''120p mode is slightly less detailed compared to the regular other HD shooting modes, but is still impressive.'' 

''60p 4K mode is virtually identical in image quality to 24/25/30p modes.''

''The externally recorded HDMI HD over-sampled signal in 4K mode is virtually unparalleled by any camera I've seen, visually striking.'' 

''Vast amount of work, crew and technology was dedicated to the DPAF system in the 1DXII design process. More than most other design technologies in the camera. The company seems to consider it as the future highest rewarding technology for video, cinema and mirror-less photography markets.'' 

(Andrew: let's keep these at least ''off-record'' bits between us here friends slightly buried on forum comments rather than out there on the blog, just out of courtesy to the extremely nice & friendly source)

woww thank u ebrahim!!!

30 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

''The externally recorded HDMI HD over-sampled signal in 4K mode is virtually unparalleled by any camera I've seen, visually striking.'' 

is this referring to the 1080p image via external recording, is that right?

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Guys, You need to buy a lot of CFast Cards to record 4K/60fps. Hardly practical, I would say.

They arent more expensive today than the SD cards for the BMPCC was when it was new. And they drop every day. So I wouldnt let that be the thing stopping me if I wanted it.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

They arent more expensive today than the SD cards for the BMPCC was when it was new. And they drop every day. So I wouldnt let that be the thing stopping me if I wanted it.

Still on the fence. I moved to Sony for video (have the A7r2 and A7s2). Still have my 1Dx for shooting sports. So if I get this one, it will be as much for stills and possible a sequence or 2 with 4K/60fps. Anybody who has a comment on editing Mepg, do we need to transcode to prores. I am on FCPX.

17 hours ago, Asmundma said:

Still on the fence. I moved to Sony for video (have the A7r2 and A7s2). Still have my 1Dx for shooting sports. So if I get this one, it will be as much for stills and possible a sequence or 2 with 4K/60fps. Anybody who has a comment on editing Mepg, do we need to transcode to prores. I am on FCPX.

I never worked with Motion JPEG, and strictly speaking from using H.264 on FCP7 on a Mac Pro 2.1 (2006) upgraded to a 2009 hack... I have to say that I transcoded H.264 to Pro Res... Everytime... Easier to scrub through, etc. So transcoding will never be a big issue for me... Space may be problem...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
On 10 فبراير، 2016 at 3:21 AM, kaylee said:

woww thank u ebrahim!!!

is this referring to the 1080p image via external recording, is that right?

Yes referring to the HDMI output while in 4K mode. Can be recorded to any cheap HD external recorder like a ninja 2 or star. 

On 10 فبراير، 2016 at 7:09 AM, kgv5 said:

Ebrahim, do you have any knowledge about FF 1080p 24/25/30 quality? Is it similar in quality to 5ds or rather more to 5d3? Did they improve 1080p?

Didn't give a word about it, so I suspect 5D(s/III) quality. No surprises as they'd have been mentioned.

The 5Ds has a great HD though, not the best, but good. I assume this is no better, at least not too much. 4K is the deal here. 

On 10 فبراير، 2016 at 8:45 AM, Asmundma said:

Anybody who has a comment on editing Mepg, do we need to transcode to prores. I am on FCPX.

Go to the pinned Native Camera files Thread on this forum. See if there's a 1DC file to download or if no just ask for it, andrew or one of the many 1DC owners will upload you one. Try that in your machine just to know exactly how the files will work if you get a 1DXII.

You'll probably want (not need) to transcode to ProRes for super fluidity and storage reduction. But try it. 

MJPEG 500mbps 4:2:2 is not a friendly codec for computers or drives, but it does give a hell of a lot of quality, just like having in-camera ProRes HQ in a DSLR quality wise. 

Two questions:

1. Do I HAVE to record 4K internally in order to get HD 4:2:2 to external recorder? I shoot weddings and very few clients are requesting 4K at this point so I will be shooting HD for at least a year. I would not be happy with HD 4:2:0 which is done internally. I am just trying to find out if it's possible to record HD externally without recording 4K internally.  

2. Any idea on battery life while recording HD and 4K? 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
5 hours ago, NM said:

Two questions:

1. Do I HAVE to record 4K internally in order to get HD 4:2:2 to external recorder? I shoot weddings and very few clients are requesting 4K at this point so I will be shooting HD for at least a year. I would not be happy with HD 4:2:0 which is done internally. I am just trying to find out if it's possible to record HD externally without recording 4K internally.  

2. Any idea on battery life while recording HD and 4K? 

1- Yes the external clean HDMI feed is always ON as fast as you switch to live-view mode regardless you're pressing rec or not. If you'll get this camera or the 1DC for that purpose make sure you choose the 4K mode in the video resolution menu. It'll be an APS-H crop but a fantastic image,  Said to exceed the C100/300 HD image quality. while the output feed in HD FF is identical to the mediocre internal HD. A Ninja 2/blade/VA on top/side of this is a very good idea especially to get that HD as well as all the other missing features like peaking/zebras and starting shooting 4K when clients request in the future.

2- Battery life is about 25-30% longer than the 1DC (in video mode). @Andrew @EOSHD_Twitter or any 1DC owner can tell us how long does the existing one go?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
6 hours ago, Taranis said:

Lookin' good.

That is Canon's official promo by the way, and the one my contact was working on and said ''a little more punchy & sharper'' than 1DC. I'd agree.
Not much grading done on it, just Default Standard profile it seems. Some Up-scaled 120p HD shots are inserted here and there. But mostly 4k internal. 
All shot in AF.