Canon 1DX II - Video Camera Perspective - Mini interview on the missing details

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

• Administrators

@Andrew Reid I told you should be more careful with technical details because sometimes mess up technical specs in your articles in favor of product or another and some people may judge you mind is clouded by fanboyism. It may not be this way but please prove me wrong in the future. :)

So the guy who messes up the tech specs in his short forum post advices the guy who runs EOSHD on technical accuracy.

:)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

No technical errors in the forum post or blog post and even if there were it's a Canon error. This is straight un-altered text. 

About the crop factor, he doesn't specify a 1.xxx number but conveniently says (Slighty wider FOV on the 1DC) That's what you'll see using the camera.

For the nerds in us we can calculate the exact crop window by getting the sensor dimensions and exact effective pixel count and calculating how big a 4096x2160 will be, don't forget the 1.4xxxx, these xxxxs are everything. Technical accuracy. 

@Andrew Reid Yes, I did got the copy pasting wrong on D5, it's 1,45x not 1,425x crop but if I were to write articles on a site I wold be much more careful, be assured. The problem is that you didn't understood my polite messages... Well, your lose! "Vitality" was very right about you and technical stuff unfortunately. :(

@Ebrahim Saadawi "No technical errors in the forum post or blog post and even if there were it's a Canon error. This is straight un-altered text. 

About the crop factor, he doesn't specify a 1.xxx number but conveniently says (Slighty wider FOV on the 1DC) That's what you'll see using the camera."

This is the qote from Andrew's article: “the crop is a little less severe than the 1.5x Super 35mm window on that camera (Nikon D5). The 1D C is a 1.3x crop or APS-H although I have heard it referred to as slightly wider than that or a 1.25x crop whereas the 1D X Mark II is a slightly narrower 1.4x crop due to the higher megapixel count of the 20MP sensor.”

He says exact numbness which are wrong! Well, he can not make a big fuss about G7 crop factor being obviously smaller than GH4 in 4K (which by the way is absolutely insignificant, I tested them myself) and from Nikon D5 which has a 1,45x crop to just make it 1,5x and the one from 1Dx Mk2 which has 1,425x he rounded it to 1,4x just to make the Canon crop look better.

For your information, the correct crop factor is calculated by dividing the full resolution's the long side to the 4K resolution long side, or whatever you want to measure.

• Super Members

You said,

"Canon 1DX mk 2 has 1,335x crop DCI 4K and 1,425 crop in 4K (UHD)."

Looks to like you didn't know it only shoot 4K DCI, you seemed to think there where two modes like on for example the Smasung NX1.
All Im saying is that you aren't exactly correct down to the decimal or atleast not clear enough to be so demanding of others in their writing of specs.

Just my opinion, don't have to agree.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

@Eno Welcome to the forum. Really.

Please just calculate the exact crop factor of the 1DXII as the Canon employee simply didn't. 

Here's some information if they help:

Sensor dimensions: 36mm x 24 mm. 3:2 aspect ratio

Pixel count: 5472 x 3648 pixels

4K mode is a 1:1 grab from the chip = 4096 x 2160 pixels

1DC pixel count is 5184 x 3456.

Can you calculate both for us? (or anyone)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

1DC: 4096 crop from 5184 wide. Divided the 1DC is a 1.26x crop. 

1DXII: 4096 crop from 5648 wide. Divided the 1DXII is a 1.37x crop. 

Is that correct? If so my Canon official was pretty accurate wih (slightly wider on 1DC).

Both are APS-H crop format.

• Administrators

I think the crop should be calculated diagonally not just on the horizontal res.

To be honest I am 1.4321 from not giving a crap. Eno why don't you go and make a XXXXXXXXing film.

It would appear we have a new member who has shares in Nikon..  

Haha.

I hope he enjoys his 0.421x share of Nikon as much as his crop factor calculations.

@Mattias Burling Should I repeat myself 100 times already, 4K is a universally adopted name  wich describes the 3840x2160 resolution, the cinema 4K (4096 x 2160) is differentiated with the acronym DCI 4K.

Eno, you can bullshit and bluff your way out of it all you like - the upshot is I will just dislike you even more as it shows you can't put your hand up and admit you made a mistake. You haven't used either camera, either.

@Andrew Reid

I normally enjoy reading you site and you have some good articles in it, but from time to time you get carried away and write BS technical stuff.

I really don't care if you like or dislike me, I'm irrelevant in this equation. My message to you is simple, if you want to have credibility, also be very very careful with technical date!

You can ban me or do whatever you like, I just wanted you to be aware of the problem and be more careful in the future and always provide us good and accurate info.

Best regards

the camera’s weather sealed body and lack of fan excluded the use of the more complex XF / H.264 codec of the C300 Mark II. As the 1D X Mark II is built for absolute reliability, overheating must be avoided.

Wow... 

An anonymous insider just revealed that Canon will be producing smartphones!

Unfortunately, there's lots of data processing, so the smartphone from Canon will require several heat fans. There are two prototypes at the moment, differently sized... We are pleased to reveal them.

Here they go!

000.jpg

iphoneprototype2.jpg

1DC: 4096 crop from 5184 wide. Divided the 1DC is a 1.26x crop. 

1DXII: 4096 crop from 5648 wide. Divided the 1DXII is a 1.37x crop. 

Is that correct? If so my Canon official was pretty accurate wih (slightly wider on 1DC).

Both are APS-H crop format.

Crop factor is computed from the diagonal length, as opposed to the width or height. You can think of the diagonal as the diameter of the image circle. When comparing full frame 1080p compared to 4K crop (as with the 1DX II), we must use the diagonals of the imaging areas as opposed to the full sensor (since HD is 16:9 and the sensor is 3:2).

Since we know the full sensor/pixel size is 5472 x 3648, we can compute the following:

Full frame HD mode uses the full sensor width, so we need to compute the 16:9-based height from the width:

5472*9/16 = 3078 height. 5472/3078 = 1.78 = 16/9. The full frame diagonal is then:

sqrt(5472^2 + 3078^2) = 6278.29

DCI 4K cropped is:

sqrt(4096^2 + 2160^2) = 4630.64

Which makes the exact crop factor:

6278.29/4630.64 =1.3558

-The live-view mode is vastly improved, and with DPAF and 16fps speed, with the mirror locked-up the camera is a fully functional mirrorless camera.

Right....a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder you can't see through!

Ergonomically all DSLRs (cameras that use a mirror to provide through-the-lens viewing) are not optimum for film-making.  In movie mode you have to hold the camera away from your face to see the rear screen, and something as heavy as the 1DX with a typical full-frame lens is going to weigh around 5 or 6 pounds, multiplied by the lever principle - the further away you hold a weight from your body while standing-up, the greater the strain on your back.  I know all about this because I owned the big Nikon D750 with the heavy kit lens, but returned it because it was killing my back when recording videos. 

For serious film-making, an 1DX owner is going to have to invest in a Z-Finder and a rig to redistribute the weight, etc.  This can easily add $1,000 on top of the price of the camera...which puts one in the ballpark of what a Sony FS7 would cost, a camera which is designed from the ground up for shooting video.

So to all you professional filmmakers out there, a question: If the cost is about the same, would you rather have a FS7 or the 1DX II?

Right....a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder you can't see through!

Ergonomically all DSLRs (cameras that use a mirror to provide through-the-lens viewing) are not optimum for film-making.  In movie mode you have to hold the camera away from your face to see the rear screen, and something as heavy as the 1DX with a typical full-frame lens is going to weigh around 5 or 6 pounds, multiplied by the lever principle - the further away you hold a weight from your body while standing-up, the greater the strain on your back.  I know all about this because I owned the big Nikon D750 with the heavy kit lens, but returned it because it was killing my back when recording videos. 

For serious film-making, an 1DX owner is going to have to invest in a Z-Finder and a rig to redistribute the weight, etc.  This can easily add $1,000 on top of the price of the camera...which puts one in the ballpark of what a Sony FS7 would cost, a camera which is designed from the ground up for shooting video.

So to all you professional filmmakers out there, a question: If the cost is about the same, would you rather have a FS7 or the 1DX II?

There is a case to be made for the dslr form factor,  FS7 is a permit camera, whereas the dslr is generally not.  Granted, fully rigged it's going to attract lots of attention.