Canon 1DX II - Video Camera Perspective - Mini interview on the missing details

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One issue with the crop is that you will have to use full frame lenses or third party aps-c. EF-S lenses will not work because of the mirror.  I'm struggling to get exited about this, with the other options available at the same or cheaper prices.

One issue with the crop is that you will have to use full frame lenses or third party aps-c. EF-S lenses will not work because of the mirror.  I'm struggling to get exited about this, with the other options available at the same or cheaper prices.

really why is that?  I thought you could mount EF-S on FF but they will vignette?

I hear this being paraded around. Yeah. It's "inefficient". But it's also great quality. If being an All-Intra codec makes it inefficient, then "Prores 4444 XQ" is also inefficient as it's bitrate is 500 Mbit/s for HD and 30fps

It is inefficient. It's also 12-bit, an industry standard, and flows like butter through editing systems. Whereas Canon are the only ones still using MJPEG, an ancient file format with none of those advantages.

Damn this looks promising! 

We are getting closer and closer to 10 bit or even raw. Mjpeg is very heavy but a really good looking and fun to work with codec, even in 8bit !

This brings the competition to a tiny higher level in DSLR.
I hope it won't cost more than a FS5...

The other issue with the crop is that it will not be oversampled.

I am not a 4K user at all.

Do I notice right or did I miss something ? No 4:2:2 @ HD ??? 
I would have prefer HD Motion JPEG @ 4:2:2 more than a H.264  4:2:0 All-i/IB-P !!! 
HD M JPEG is less compression a must for secondary Color Correction & VFx.

Do we need to shoot 4K to get a better HD quality Master ? I mean in term of compression artifacts and color depth. If yes, shame to manage more data than needed.

Is HD mp4 or .mov also 8 bit rather than 10 bit ? 

High speed is a feature more important than 4K, I'd have preferred 125 fps for European "PAL" frame rate. 

Great!  Dual AF best feature.

canon.jp2

It is inefficient. It's also 12-bit, an industry standard, and flows like butter through editing systems. Whereas Canon are the only ones still using MJPEG, an ancient file format with none of those advantages.

An ancient and "inefficient" codec can look better with a huge bitrate than a new and more advanced one with a smaller bitrate.

Case in point the 1DC. The 4k image blows all of the AVCHD and XAVCS image qualities of the A7 series out of the water, compression wise (no macroblocking, no compression artifacts from movement, grain remains and doesn't get smoothed out etc)