Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8.4.2017 at 2:02 AM, sandro said:

Yes it seems my shiny NX1 blended me with its awesomeness I completely forgot we live under Capitalism, were products are made to sell not to be best for the consumer. 
On the other hand, Panasonic is scaling down as well, what a shame the smartphone market is really handing it to the pro camera market, Sony, Nikon, Canon they are all suffering. 

No more cheap cameras with lots of features like the NX1 I guess...

Panasonic cameras are very cheap, and offer the world!

In a sense, Sony cameras have all the specs too (though, do not exactly deliver).

I am not sure that your statement stands, NX1 had the same price as all the competitors back then (even though vast better performance, of course), but in 2017, I do not see what a NX2 would have against the GH5, it would be close to 2000 for sure, and I don't think it could possible had 10 bit, even though it would have IBIS and the rest.

NX1 became cheap, because end of 2015 it was obvious that Samsung is leaving the market, not because it was super cheap in 2014 and 2015.

It is a pity though, let's keep the spirit alive, and someone pull a magic lantern raw out of this camera!

NX2 would have been scheduled for mid/late 2017 and would have had a much better sensor (i.e. APSC vs m43 to begin with and possibly more than 28MP), with embedded dram for very high performance in slow motion (240fps@1080 at least and 60fps@4k). Who knows? Perhaps it could have been the first 8k consumer camera...

And since NX1 is still a much better camera for stills compared to GH5, I can only imagine what NX2 could have been there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 10:09 PM, mnewxcv said:

well, I decided to sell the nx500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Samsung-NX-NX500-28-2-MP-4K-Digital-Camera-16-50mm-OIS-Lens-PLUS-EXTRAS-/172568933631?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

It has been a great cam this past year, but the lack of mic input bugs the crap out of me, so I will be moving on to something else (g7, a6300, nx1). 

anddddd I have an nx1 now

Is there a comprehensive comparison of Vasile's firmware vs Kino Seed's firmware vs. stock NX1 firmware?

I've been reading all I can find about those hacks, but nothing seems to be a detailed comparison list.  Mostly it's pick-and-choose tidbits about either hack.  For now, as I understand it, the KS firmware is more feature-rich but makes the camera slow to start-up.  It's also easy to uninstall.  Vasile's firmware is more basic but is more lightweight and the camera behaves as stock, more difficult to uninstall (?)   Like for example this post:

Mostly I am interested in snappy performance and start-up with ability to go up to 120mbps.  That post above says "both cameras are pretty terrible at high ISO in video so keep it below 800 in 1080p and below 2000 ISO in 2160p and you should get pretty good results with the hack, the NX500 with the 1440p mode has no noise reduction, I had good results with that at 3200ISO."    Is the no noise reduction bit also true for NX1?  

Also, can I update lens firmware while using alternative camera body firmware?  Is it "safe" to do so?  Or should I update lens firmware only on stock Samsung firmware?

On 20.4.2017 at 3:25 PM, Quartz said:

Mostly I am interested in snappy performance and start-up with ability to go up to 120mbps.  That post above says "both cameras are pretty terrible at high ISO in video so keep it below 800 in 1080p and below 2000 ISO in 2160p and you should get pretty good results with the hack, the NX500 with the 1440p mode has no noise reduction, I had good results with that at 3200ISO."    Is the no noise reduction bit also true for NX1?  

Also, can I update lens firmware while using alternative camera body firmware?  Is it "safe" to do so?  Or should I update lens firmware only on stock Samsung firmware?

The NX1 has pretty terrible noise reduction going on above 1000/1600 ISO, no idea why they implemented it, its not there in the NX500 for some reasons and even high bitrate wont really solve your ISO issue on the NX1 although regarding the NX500 even though it has no noise reduction even at 4k or 1080p, when you start hitting high ISO specially above 3200ISO its just a mess really, avoid that. 

And yes you can update the lenses with the custom hacked firmware, the lens firmware is separated from the camera itself, its two different things so it wont harm your camera or anything. 

----------------------------------------------------------

All this camera talk over the past 2 years has made me realise that specs really does not mean a jack shit these days, as long as it shoots acceptable video its good enough, the NX1 not just shoots acceptable video it shoots SUPERB video, at least for me. The colour profiles are all like their own film stock and remember that film stocks did not have amazing dynamic range in the past either unless you specifically picked one that did.

I been spending more on audio equipment lately and as the professionals always use to say, audio is far more important than the image, I think the NX1 will do me very good for another 7 years or even more, its a little shame I cannot get that extra dynamic range or better ISO performance but you know, for what I spent on the camera which was under 2000 dollars was far less than the Canon 70D or the Sony A7s at the time which was very expensive cameras. The GH4 has smaller sensor so does the GH5 and the GH5 suffers a lot in low light situations still, you need really fast glass for it. 

Sometimes one just cannot have it all I guess, shame that Samsung officially ended their camera line though, I hope the hacking continues there definitely FAR more potential on the Samsung cameras than the Canon ones in obtaining superb quality video, and even now the Magic Lantern guys have got 4k from their canon cameras, that is amazing if only we too could have RAW video from the Samsung, it would have solved the dynamic range issue and ISO issue. Heck even MJPEG would have, I sort of see why Canon went with MJPEG on the Canon 4DMIV.

I plan on hiring someone in the future to at least try to hack it for raw video, but until now I am just going to keep saving, it costs quite a lot to hire someone who know how to work their way around these things, in fact I wonder why we have not gotten together to start a funding page to hire a group to hack the camera to begin with, it would been so more effective, if everyone donated 10 dollars there still would have been quite a lot.

1 hour ago, mnewxcv said:

is there any way to shoot video at a shutter speed less than the frame rate (with intention of creating excess motion blur)

I had a discussion with someone a while ago about this on this forum I believe and this is what I remember from that discussion.

1. No, it is not possible to have a shutter speed slower(longer) than 1/framerate
  2. Some cameras have the option to replicate this effect in camera. I believe the GH4 has this feature and it is a mistery to me how this feature works.
  3. This effect can be done in post with either a blur effect or by overlaying the same clip multiple times with a 1 frame offset and setting the transparency of each layer to 1/number of layers. Obviously for best results you should do bunch of tests isolating each the variable(incamera framrate, shutter speed, output frame rate, number of layers, number of frames to offset each layer, transparency of each layer) till to you get the exact look you want.

I could be completely wrong about all this as i am not an expert and I have never done this myself.

2 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

I had a discussion with someone a while ago about this on this forum I believe and this is what I remember from that discussion.

1. No, it is not possible to have a shutter speed slower(longer) than 1/framerate
  2. Some cameras have the option to replicate this effect in camera. I believe the GH4 has this feature and it is a mistery to me how this feature works.
  3. This effect can be done in post with either a blur effect or by overlaying the same clip multiple times with a 1 frame offset and setting the transparency of each layer to 1/number of layers. Obviously for best results you should do bunch of tests isolating each the variable(incamera framrate, shutter speed, output frame rate, number of layers, number of frames to offset each layer, transparency of each layer) till to you get the exact look you want.

I could be completely wrong about all this as i am not an expert and I have never done this myself.

Yeah I think I found that thread. I was hoping that using the low frame rate functions of the camera (6p, 3p, 1.5p) would allow for shutter speeds to be that low, but it seems I cannot set shutter speed less than 1/30 in any mode. 

1 hour ago, mnewxcv said:

Yeah I think I found that thread. I was hoping that using the low frame rate functions of the camera (6p, 3p, 1.5p) would allow for shutter speeds to be that low, but it seems I cannot set shutter speed less than 1/30 in any mode. 

you could use regular time lapse mode and get 6k RAW  at about 0.5p lol.

I believe the time lapse mode does not account for the shutter speed so 1fps at 1" would be 0.5p.

6 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

For this you are better off just using timelapse and set it to shoot lots of downsampled JPEG's instead of RAW DNG's

8 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

But time lapse has a max frame rate of 0.5fps. That's so slow! 5FPS would be ideal. Might just have to shoot 5FPS at 1/30 and blur in post.

LOL, I meant the old fashion way where you just let the shutter run, it can do up to 15fps, is that not enough? 

• 4 weeks later...