Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I noticed that my NX1 with NX-KS hack when shooting with fhd 50fps, I can set the maximum bitrate 320Mb/s without it stops the movie, as happens when I set other frame rates.
The file that I get has a speed of about 160Mb/s and this is very strange because I can shoot at 200Mb/s with 100fps.
Now I ask, is this a bug?
I have installed latest version hack.

On 11/27/2016 at 1:03 AM, lucabutera said:

I noticed that my NX1 with NX-KS hack when shooting with fhd 50fps, I can set the maximum bitrate 320Mb/s without it stops the movie, as happens when I set other frame rates.
The file that I get has a speed of about 160Mb/s and this is very strange because I can shoot at 200Mb/s with 100fps.
Now I ask, is this a bug?
I have installed latest version hack.

probably defaults, on error
if you want to try higher bitrates (useful for timelapse video), you have 400mbps available

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I got this when it was 3 times the price! Still I thought I had a bargain back then. I posted this on dpr a few days ago.

Yeah I just got mine in the mail yesterday. Really impressed with the packaging and apparent build quality. How have you liked yours?

I'm not really one to rig out my camera, but for $57, it was a no brainer. I ordered a more traditional rail bracket thing for it today since I'd rather have the two rods under the center, for follow focus, lens support and possible matte box, but overall it seems pretty sweet!  

57$ is just silly!

Yes, the additional thing under it is mandatory, it rises it up, so much better for monopod/tripod placement and adds a little bit of height too, plus you can really add stuff, I used to have a matte box. 

The handle, the protection, and the few places to add microphones/led lights/monitor etc makes it essential for me. You feel much more comfortable with your equipment, plus I noticed that it adds to the wow! factor, something that in the wedding business may play some role, at least in my country (I just did a few this year, I am more in TV/cinema, but I have to do more from now on because there is no industry in Greece!)

The only thing I didn't like much is the ENG handle, actually I removed it a few days ago and in a few hours I am going to shoot somethings without it for the very first time.

Plus, with the ENG thingy I couldn't fit the whole thing in any camera bag (too wide!) and if I am going alone, or for something small, I don't think I need the ENG handle and the matte box. 

What do you think about encryption?
How many of you will find it necessary or useful.

I was thinking something along the lines of having DCIM as a link to two folders, one encrypted, and one non-ecnr.
When nx-ks starts it will auto-execute "encrypted access" script if the script is found on the memory card (this way you can have regular use and encrypted use, depending on which memory card insert).
You enter a pass, a HASH is generated and used to decrypt  the directory. If the pass is not entered, the link will point to the non-encr directory, if it passes, it will repoint to the encrypted one.
To start a new encrypted card, you will enter a non-encrypted one, from the menu you'll select to "encrypt ON", the script will ask you for a new pass with which it will create the encrypted directory and make the DCIM as a link, and an "encrypted access" script will be added on the card.

I'm not sure how linux-encrypted folders will be accessed with windows, and if it's possible to have the folder encrypted on a memory card.
Have any of you don't something like that? Any ideas how it's the best way to implement it?

You can use ecryptfs which produces "normal" files just with scrambled names and contents (used for example by Ubuntu if you select encryption of the home directory during the install) as well as block level encryption (see LUKS and Librecrypt for Windows use) that can work either on a complete card, a partition or use a file on the card as a block device. Both are vastly better than encryption after the image was saved. 

Also an option is to use network share to store photos so nothing is on the camera either way (but it's quite slow, around 3MB/s so ~4s per full resolution jpeg). 

The problem I have with nx500 is that it hangs if it cannot open the file it thinks exists (even the simple deletion from terminal can confuse playback). 

By itself, Rijndael (AES), is not as secure as it is sold to be.
I think it was doing something along the lines of matrix-shuffling, but there is an attack, where you can lock the guessed portions... ok, that was something I read 15 years ago, but there are other indications it is allowed for wide use just because of its fallibility, and for security reasons, to make sense the chosen encryption will have to be more serious.

But seems like it will be more useful to serious journalists, and looks like none of them use those cameras now.
(implementation seems unnecessary)

About the network-share to store photos, how about using the card simply as a buffer, and in the background when there are files to be transferred they will be copied to the network share in a queue, after the copy is complete, the file on the card will be overwritten with a link to a local small JPG, which will show "file moved to network drive" (and something similar for the RAW and video files) ?
This should solve the network speed and playback issues.

To get rid of the 4K crop, have custom scanning resolution, etc it was necessary to modify the settings for one of the programmable hardware components, and we had the registers, but it seems no one had luck modifying them.
It's something like this: camera sensor -> PPU ( scanning, debayer, resizing, at given fps) -> encoder (resizing again if needed, encoding at user set fps)
This is why the we get different fps from the package when we "mod them" to something that PPU is not set to.
Also the PPU is set to larger than VGA image output, and the encoder further downsizes it.

Unfortunately, the rest (modding the PPU registers) is beyond me, and I don't think anyone is working on it.