Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

4 hours ago, ttbek said:

Hey Luca, I have some requests for this since your pace is much faster than mine.  When you put out the adapter, can it have external connection points for monitoring the communication?  Can it have a standard port over which the firmware can be updated (Canon does update EF protocol sometimes).  And can you open source the firmware?  Even if it is still paid firmware it would be good if users can make their own changes to keep it working with newer EF lenses if Canon makes minor changes that make it stop working (as they have stung some of the 3rd party lensmakers with in the past).  I don't know what sort of chip your are using, hopefully it is something not too tough to program for ^_^.  Your timing is too good, you will retire the NX-L before I got around to ordering mine :P  I want to support this though so I will still order, and if it turns out to be working well enough for BIF with the long primes then I'm going to owe you more T.T :P  I will try ordering NX-L today, please include my phone number in the address area (otherwise the post here will probably ship it back to you).  Orange and red shirts, hurrah! 

Ttbek Hello, you're right, I also do not want to finish my projects with a white beard, so I have been working on this great project.
Now I can offer two new accessories:

1) lens NXL speed booster,

2) smart adapter.

I do not want to work on the code for communication between the camera and the lens, I have experience with metabones smart adapter, he had a multitude of problems with Sony a7s, it was always in the crash, so I anticipate that it is an experiment already failed in start which will never work well.
I think it's better to work on a separate autofocus independent reporting system that measures the framed object distance, this is possible and we have the technology and economic resources to do so p (the rest will publish some projects).
While waiting I invite you to watch this latest project, very useful for all videomakers.
Thank you, I wait your order for NXL today ;-)

https://www.produzionidalbasso.com/project/conversion-kit-aputure-dec-canon-lens-samsung-nx/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2 ottobre 2016 at 5:47 PM, SMGJohn said:

I think that has more to do with with the limit of the Atomos Ninja 2, I had a look in the manual of it and found that it does not support anything above 30fps in progressive scan.

Only the older Samsung cameras can do 1080 interlaced, so that is your problem you are trying to receive an interlaced signal but the camera has none, there is no interlacing settings in the NX1 nor the NX500, you would have to buy the vintage dinosaur called the Canon 5DM4 to get interlaced video analogue style, jokes aside, the recorder does not support 60p only 60i and the NX500 only shoots 60p and no 60i, I hope that helps

EDIT:
It is easier to just shoot 1080p60 with the hack in-camera instead of slapping on the external recorders, the only point I see is if he needs an extra monitor or needs multiple audio sources as the Ninja 2 apparently can do 4 audio tracks.

I have asked for help in order to change the HDMI output settings of the NX500 that are locked in HD at 60 fps and therefore not compatible with my ninja2. Also if I want to shoot in 4K and use an external monitor or recorder that supports it the NX500 is set to 1080 making it impossible to shoot in 4K.

6 hours ago, lucabutera said:

I do not want to work on the code for communication between the camera and the lens, I have experience with metabones smart adapter, he had a multitude of problems with Sony a7s, it was always in the crash, so I anticipate that it is an experiment already failed in start which will never work well.
I think it's better to work on a separate autofocus independent reporting system that measures the framed object distance, this is possible and we have the technology and economic resources to do so p (the rest will publish some projects).
While waiting I invite you to watch this latest project, very useful for all videomakers.

Ah, I misinterpreted your video, I thought you had it working like the metabones adapter.  I'm going to disagree here though, my goal is to have true AF by the camera body controlling the lens.  I agree that the other project is great for video shooters, probably even much better for them than what my goal is, but I am primarily a stills shooter.  I'm kind of tempted to order one anyway, this is the conversion kit alone right?  So one would need to buy the Apurture DEC separately, correct?  My Italian is non-existent :P  If you could manufacture a smart adapter it would let me focus on the firmware, as is the crudeness of my adapter takes too much time from coding.  I don't have any nice tools for making it, relying on epoxy and soldering from parts entirely taken and sawed apart from macro extension tubes putting them into a dumb adapter for now.  Actually, the part from the NX macro tube fits beautifully into the dumb adapter, but the Canon side is problematic.  Just having something with contacts on the NX and Canon side, with corresponding contact points on the outside of lens such that a logic analyzer can be place in between would be pretty awesome, even more so if it can be done to an NX-L. 

I put in for two NX-L adapters, how should I send you my shipping info and phone numbers, I didn't see a place to enter it, just send it to your email listed there? 

16 minutes ago, ttbek said:

Ah, I misinterpreted your video, I thought you had it working like the metabones adapter.  I'm going to disagree here though, my goal is to have true AF by the camera body controlling the lens.  I agree that the other project is great for video shooters, probably even much better for them than what my goal is, but I am primarily a stills shooter.  I'm kind of tempted to order one anyway, this is the conversion kit alone right?  So one would need to buy the Apurture DEC separately, correct?  My Italian is non-existent :P  If you could manufacture a smart adapter it would let me focus on the firmware, as is the crudeness of my adapter takes too much time from coding.  I don't have any nice tools for making it, relying on epoxy and soldering from parts entirely taken and sawed apart from macro extension tubes putting them into a dumb adapter for now.  Actually, the part from the NX macro tube fits beautifully into the dumb adapter, but the Canon side is problematic.  Just having something with contacts on the NX and Canon side, with corresponding contact points on the outside of lens such that a logic analyzer can be place in between would be pretty awesome, even more so if it can be done to an NX-L. 

I put in for two NX-L adapters, how should I send you my shipping info and phone numbers, I didn't see a place to enter it, just send it to your email listed there? 

Also my English is not very good ... It is only a conversion kit, the Aputure dec must be bought separately.
The metabones smart adapter with sony a7s never took the correct focus, with little light went wild, often crashed and I had to remove it from the camera to restart it, a disaster, if you think you can do better than metabones or you are a genius or you are a fool, you'll never get a satisfactory result and compatibility with all lenses and you'll have thrown time and money. This is my thinking and I would not advise you to proceed on this project.
For NXL adapter you can proceed with the purchase, I will receive your shipping address and before I will ask you to send address confirmation of shipment.
Thanks and best regards

Luca, here I have to (respectfully) disagree with you. Such a conversion kit would be of very little (to no) interest to me.

As ttbek, I'm 85% a still shooter, who started taking videos since nx1 is so good at it, but for videos, I'm more than served by the (outstanding) s lenses.

I need a (not too exoensive) telephoto lens, in the 300mm range (450mm equivalent) for my nx1.

I tried metabones on a6300 and indeed this could be the ONLY selling point of that camera to me (but...at that point...I would buy a real canon). It worked very well, even in modest light.

18 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Luca, here I have to (respectfully) disagree with you. Such a conversion kit would be of very little (to no) interest to me.

As ttbek, I'm 85% a still shooter, who started taking videos since nx1 is so good at it, but for videos, I'm more than served by the (outstanding) s lenses.

I need a (not too exoensive) telephoto lens, in the 300mm range (450mm equivalent) for my nx1.

I tried metabones on a6300 and indeed this could be the ONLY selling point of that camera to me (but...at that point...I would buy a real canon). It worked very well, even in modest light.

I believe that the only possible solution is to build a 2x teleconverter lens NX prototype, mounted on your lens 50-150 f2.8 s becomes a 100-300 s f5.6 and preserves all automatic. You do not have other solutions.

Wow, Luca, this could be really INTERESTING!!!!!

Would you consider doing this again in the "produzioni dal basso" way, as for the NXL?

I'd really be interested in a converter with the quality of the canon L one:

http://www.canon.it/lenses/extender-ef-2x-iii-lens/

Or, much cheaper but also very good, the Sigma:

https://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-2-0x-teleconverter

Also the 1.4X could be really good.

But the lens quality has to be outstanding.

Wow, Luca, questo potrebbe essere molto INTERESSANTE!!!!!

Potresti realizzare un prototipo e proporlo nel modo dell'NXL, con "produzioni dal basso"?

Sarei molto interessato in un convertitore con la qualità del Canon L:

O, molto più economico, ma anche molto valido, il Sigma:

Anche la versione 1.4X sarebbe valida.

Ma la qualità della lente dev'essere spettacolare.

On 22.10.2016 at 4:29 PM, ClaudioS said:

I have asked for help in order to change the HDMI output settings of the NX500 that are locked in HD at 60 fps and therefore not compatible with my ninja2. Also if I want to shoot in 4K and use an external monitor or recorder that supports it the NX500 is set to 1080 making it impossible to shoot in 4K.

You sure the monitor locks in 1080p on the NX500? Because I have had no issues with ext monitors when I tested them on my NX500 but I cannot remember the brand names. 
Ninja2 only does 1080p30, got to use Atomos to shoot 4k with the NX500 external

12 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Wow, Luca, this could be really INTERESTING!!!!!

Would you consider doing this again in the "produzioni dal basso" way, as for the NXL?

I'd really be interested in a converter with the quality of the canon L one:

Or, much cheaper but also very good, the Sigma:

Also the 1.4X could be really good.

But the lens quality has to be outstanding.

Wow, Luca, questo potrebbe essere molto INTERESSANTE!!!!!

Potresti realizzare un prototipo e proporlo nel modo dell'NXL, con "produzioni dal basso"?

Sarei molto interessato in un convertitore con la qualità del Canon L:

O, molto più economico, ma anche molto valido, il Sigma:

Anche la versione 1.4X sarebbe valida.

Ma la qualità della lente dev'essere spettacolare.

Hell Marco, try this http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdp9000ex/index.htm 

Telephoto 1.8x, superb quality, NO INFLUENCE F NUMBER OF THE MASTER LENS, 72mm thread like the 50-150 samsung lens.

test: 

buy: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/458454-REG/Raynox_HDP_9000EX_HDP_9000EX_1_8x_High_Definition.html

57 minutes ago, lucabutera said:

Hell Marco, try this http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdp9000ex/index.htm 

Telephoto 1.8x, superb quality, NO INFLUENCE F NUMBER OF THE MASTER LENS, 72mm thread like the 50-150 samsung lens.

buy: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/458454-REG/Raynox_HDP_9000EX_HDP_9000EX_1_8x_High_Definition.html

And hella expensive, lol.  I've always been a bit skeptical of these front mounted ones.  It's true there is no loss of f-stop though you will lose some t-stop (hopefully quite minimal).  I guess just most of the ones I've seen are pedalled cheap on Amazon and E-bay as a long range panacea but are actually of horrible optical quality.  I know a few of the camera brand names have made some that are purported to be quite good, but they weren't in the filter sizes I wanted as they were made for particular cameras, sometimes even being the same size but with a different thread pitch.  It's not often that I come across any concrete information on these so it has been hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  This product and the Raynox DCR 2025 Pro both seem to be quite well reviewed though.  What makes the HDP 9000EX so much more expensive?  Is it almost entirely due to the size (fitting 62mm threads for the 2025 and 72mm for the 9000) and lower demand? 

I'll look into these Raynox ones a bit more but will be continuing my other project anyway, I'm having fun with it and I already have a bunch of Canon lenses.

The other thing that always makes me worry is that most of the people reviewing are doing video, and the video shown was 720p.  1080p is only ~2 MP.... how can I review critical sharpness at that?  4k, is still only ~8 MP, my intended output in this case is 28 MP... so I think you see my reason for skepticism when I have nothing to evaluate these properly.  For lenses DXO usually gives me at least a relative idea if I can't find one in store, but discussion of these adapters is still too sparse for my liking.  Might bite anyway eventually. 

3 hours ago, ttbek said:

And hella expensive, lol.  I've always been a bit skeptical of these front mounted ones.  It's true there is no loss of f-stop though you will lose some t-stop (hopefully quite minimal).  I guess just most of the ones I've seen are pedalled cheap on Amazon and E-bay as a long range panacea but are actually of horrible optical quality.  I know a few of the camera brand names have made some that are purported to be quite good, but they weren't in the filter sizes I wanted as they were made for particular cameras, sometimes even being the same size but with a different thread pitch.  It's not often that I come across any concrete information on these so it has been hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  This product and the Raynox DCR 2025 Pro both seem to be quite well reviewed though.  What makes the HDP 9000EX so much more expensive?  Is it almost entirely due to the size (fitting 62mm threads for the 2025 and 72mm for the 9000) and lower demand? 

I'll look into these Raynox ones a bit more but will be continuing my other project anyway, I'm having fun with it and I already have a bunch of Canon lenses.

1 hour ago, ttbek said:

The other thing that always makes me worry is that most of the people reviewing are doing video, and the video shown was 720p.  1080p is only ~2 MP.... how can I review critical sharpness at that?  4k, is still only ~8 MP, my intended output in this case is 28 MP... so I think you see my reason for skepticism when I have nothing to evaluate these properly.  For lenses DXO usually gives me at least a relative idea if I can't find one in store, but discussion of these adapters is still too sparse for my liking.  Might bite anyway eventually. 

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

Ttbek, I'm with you on this. Back focal multipliers are always much much better in iq and ca.

As Luca built a docal reducer, he could have the skills and production capabilities to clone the sigma accessory and make it available for nx mount...that'd be cool indeed.

The larger lenses = better picture quality, with the same optical quality across a wide front lens is better than small rear lens.
Before criticizing it needs to be tested otherwise speak without awareness of what we say.
front lenses designed for camcorders like the anamorphic lens AG-LA7200 have proved to be of excellent optical quality.
Moreover, no loss of F stop of light is enough to justify the price, a Canon 300 f 2.8 costs € 5,500.00!
it is possible to buy it to test, if you are not satisfied can you return it back.

29 minutes ago, lucabutera said:

The larger lenses = better picture quality, with the same optical quality across a wide front lens is better than small rear lens.
Before criticizing it needs to be tested otherwise speak without awareness of what we say.
front lenses designed for camcorders like the anamorphic lens AG-LA7200 have proved to be of excellent optical quality.
Moreover, no loss of F stop of light is enough to justify the price, a Canon 300 f 2.8 costs € 5,500.00!
it is possible to buy it to test, if you are not satisfied can you return it back.

Rather than being a criticism I'm just saying that information is sparse and video doesn't mean much in terms of optical quality.  My experience with these has as I said been with cheaper ones like the Opteka, Polaroid, and no-name ones floating around.  I assume one that they charge a thousand for will be better.  I just don't know how much better.  You don't need to try and convince me, I will see if I can search out sample raws or the like.  This kind of thing is also difficult because I don't always know the lens used, I gave your adapter the benefit of the doubt since I know that lens isn't good to start out with wide open, so to me the performance is still a bit of an open question. 

On the Canon front, I have acquired a 400 f/2.8 already (used, for significantly less than the 300 f/2.8 you mentioned).  Even at no loss of light the Samsung is an f/4.2 equivalent, so with the adapter it works out as a 405mm f/4.2 equivalent, right between my f/5.6 and f/2.8 lenses at just about the same focal length.  Which is quite nice so long as the quality of the adapter is as good as I would like, the price also falls in between.  I could try it, I guess the only risk is the shipping cost back to B&H or the like if I don't find it satisfactory.  I don't really need it though (aforementioned Canon lenses).  Might be worthwhile for Marco depending on the how good it is. 

The fact that I can't find a single comparison (for still pictures above, say, 16MP) between this lens and the canon 2x extender makes me wonder that these are actually two very different products, intended for difference audiences.

I'm a still shooter who occasionally shoots video. And the teleconverter, for me, would be used ONLY for stills. Hence I need resolution, details, and lack of CA.