Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

wow thanks for all the responses! A good point that the cost to upgrade could get me a wealth of gear (tripods, monopods, mics, gimbal) that would benefit me more than just changing bodies. Really good points made. 

Maybe when something better than the NX1 comes out I can pick up an NX1 for cheap :-p

I ended up ordering a M42->NX mount adapter and a couple of M42 lenses. Not sure how they will perform, but for the price it is something worth playing around with, at least for fixed position video shooting. I will hopefully get some of the stuff this weekend and play around with it. I will of course share my findings here.

43 minutes ago, mnewxcv said:

wow thanks for all the responses! A good point that the cost to upgrade could get me a wealth of gear (tripods, monopods, mics, gimbal) that would benefit me more than just changing bodies. Really good points made. 

Maybe when something better than the NX1 comes out I can pick up an NX1 for cheap :-p

I ended up ordering a M42->NX mount adapter and a couple of M42 lenses. Not sure how they will perform, but for the price it is something worth playing around with, at least for fixed position video shooting. I will hopefully get some of the stuff this weekend and play around with it. I will of course share my findings here.

NX1 is not an 'upgrade', it is a defferent headache/experience -- NX500 has better 4K - no RS, no banding, natutal colors - if you can live with the crop ...

for NX-M42 lens setup, try the Meteor-5-1 Zoom lens 1.9/17-69mm

1 hour ago, lucabutera said:

Now I can control the iris on Canon lens, this is a short test with canon 50mm F8.

The lens with NXL is very sharpness, non used hack, no Dr profile.

Videomakers stay tuned, big news coming soon, it is soon to send her into retirement.

So...iris controllable from nx1 body? With the rear wheel like with nx lenses?

What about af?

6 minutes ago, Sten said:

do the math - for UHD 4K, the NX1 needs at least 120mbps (70mbps x 1.77x crop) to match the NX500

I have both cameras, I think the NX1 is definitely better though. If I understand it correctly, the NX1 is downscaling a 6.5k full-sensor readout into hyper-detailed 4k, whereas the NX500 is a straight 4k crop of the sensor, hence the huge crop and (I presume) less detail. The NX1 image definitely seems superior, especially when I compare them head to head when using them on the same shoot. With gamma DR, the master black level, and other settings available only on the NX1, you're able to fine tune the image much better, and in my experience with the hack, the NX1 is also able to record with a higher bit rate than the nx500, I get more 'recording stopped' errors with it than with the NX1. That being said, I've been shooting a whole bunch with the NX500 lately on my new Zhiyun crane gimbal and, coupled with the roki 12mm, the results have been stellar. 

On 10/19/2016 at 7:10 PM, Sten said:

do the math - for UHD 4K, the NX1 needs at least 120mbps (70mbps x 1.77x crop) to match the NX500

and this is why we have the hack that vasille and otto made :-) 

I've shot comfortably at 160-200 mbps. Sorry man the nx500 doesn't come close....plus I dont know where you got that math from that somehow proves the nx500 is superior. If you own an nx500 and like it fine...its just not better than the nx1 in terms of performance. It was never designed to be better than the companies flagship.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

It was never designed to be better than the companies flagship.

the NX1 is crippled (by HEVC patents) since birth - 8-bit (80mbps 1920x1080 HEVC Main Profile, Level 5.0), but it should have been 10-bit (120mbps 3840x2160 HEVC Main10 Profile, Level 5.1) - Samsung has been peddling 1080p HEVC as 4K video with the NX1 ...

21 minutes ago, Sten said:

the NX1 is crippled (by HEVC patents) since birth - 8-bit (80mbps 1920x1080 HEVC Main Profile, Level 5.0), but it should have been 10-bit (120mbps 3840x2160 HEVC Main10 Profile, Level 5.1) - Samsung has been peddling 1080p HEVC as 4K video on the NX1 ...

all these specs your spewing out right now are meaningless. I know the images the NX1 can capture and no one cares if its 8 bit or 10 bit. The clients that will pay you will not notice if it was 10 bit or 8 bit. Lets see the images you come up with out the NX500 and let that be the proof you need to solidify your argument. 

8 hours ago, Sten said:

I own the GH4/NX500/NX1 (with S lenses). The NX1 is the better of the lot for 4K, sharpest and cleanest below 800 ISO. The GH4 is very good too, you gain details at high ISO compared to NX1/NX500 but at the cost of grain. The NX500 is cropped, vastly softer than NX1 and the AF is not reliable (this is why lots of videos posted on the net with this camera seem very soft; the problem is the AF, quick but often innacurate).

9 hours ago, Sten said:

Umm...no! That is not how it works.

70 mbps on the NX1 is the same as 70 mbps on the NX500. The NX1 has a more powerful processor, so it can handle the workload needed to downscale 6.5k raw footage to 4K. The NX500 processor can't do it, which is why they use a crop instead. The crop has less information available than the full sensor, so the image is inferior to that from the NX1.

8 minutes ago, tugela said:

Umm...no! That is not how it works.

70 mbps on the NX1 is the same as 70 mbps on the NX500. The NX1 has a more powerful processor, so it can handle the workload needed to downscale 6.5k raw footage to 4K. The NX500 processor can't do it, which is why they use a crop instead. The crop has less information available than the full sensor, so the image is inferior to that from the NX1.

fyi, both have the same processor.
NX500 was/is just crippled, however the crop is controlled by the PPUs which were not able to modify.
There are specific registers, which control how they process cropping/resampling, etc, however as soon as we touch those in memory, the thing crashes.

re the mbps - of course those are "the same", this is just the bitrate for encoding of the file, which already gets the copped/resampled image from the PPU.

Hahahaha I love the smell of trolls in the morning!

@Kinoseed, I have a suggestion for a script/hack. Would it be possible to calculate in camera the near and far focal distance and then display those two numbers at the bottom of the screen? These numbers would then automatically update as you change focus or aperture. This would be good for landscape work as well as using the camera on a gimbal.

This feature would obviously be toggled off and on in the menu.

Side note, thanks for your continued effort into making these cameras even more incredible. 

17 hours ago, Sten said:

Come on now, stop trolling. 
The only thing the NX500 has over the NX1 is when you hack it to 1440p it will do a proper sensor read without the noise reduction crap, which gives you a fine noise corn even at higher ISO's although the ISO is horrid snowstorm at 3200+ ISO

9 hours ago, kinoseed said:

fyi, both have the same processor.
NX500 was/is just crippled, however the crop is controlled by the PPUs which were not able to modify.
There are specific registers, which control how they process cropping/resampling, etc, however as soon as we touch those in memory, the thing crashes.

re the mbps - of course those are "the same", this is just the bitrate for encoding of the file, which already gets the copped/resampled image from the PPU.

NX1 gives consumers a "counterfeit" 4K video - the exisitng (HEVC Main Profile, Level 5.0) video compression outputs only 80bmps 1080p, but for 4K (as advertised) the NX1 needs Main10 Profile, Level 5.1

Submit a Consumer Complaint to the FTC