Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

Wow. Canon EF lenses working WITH IS on an NX1.... THAT would be some large jar of awesome sauce.

As for the hack - It's fine if it doesn't go any further because it already has added so much. I say "let it be finished". One less thing to always be updating, right?
As for it only adding "ten-percent better image quality", well that's HUGE. That's a lot. Especially if it's doing it right where it's needed.
For critical images it has been worth the effort. I can get footage to work when cut in with higher-grade cameras now that that grunge in the shadows has been cleaned up. That was enough. Heck, it's everything really. If not for that one factor, I probably would have had to let my NX1 go in exchange for something a lot more expensive. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Wow. Canon EF lenses working WITH IS on an NX1.... THAT would be some large jar of awesome sauce.

As for the hack - It's fine if it doesn't go any further because it already has added so much. I say "let it be finished". One less thing to always be updating, right?
As for it only adding "ten-percent better image quality", well that's HUGE. That's a lot. Especially if it's doing it right where it's needed.
For critical images it has been worth the effort. I can get footage to work when cut in with higher-grade cameras now that that grunge in the shadows has been cleaned up. That was enough. Heck, it's everything really. If not for that one factor, I probably would have had to let my NX1 go in exchange for something a lot more expensive. 

I completely agree re IQ. I didn't mean to start an argument about the 10% thing. Like I said 10% is a pretty big jump up and I love it I am just currently not using the hack out of pure lazyness i guess lol.

As for the "let it finished" bit I agree and disagree. I agree that I have got all I want out of the hack (bitrate increase). However I disagree in that I thing we should say let it never be finished. AS long as their are people out their who are having fun improving the hack let them continue. 

Another thing that I like is from time to time I would think of a cool feature that could possible be added and like the though that someone might actually do it some day :)

Does the NX1 have anything that makes it worthwhile to upgrade to from the NX500 other than external mic and 4K crop? I have the NX500 now and use an external audio recorder, which I wish I didn't have to do, especially since I was planning to buy the proprietary samsung mic that is now a unicorn. But does the NX1 have anything the NX500 doesnt besides those two things that would benefit using it for video?

6 minutes ago, mnewxcv said:

Does the NX1 have anything that makes it worthwhile to upgrade to from the NX500 other than external mic and 4K crop? I have the NX500 now and use an external audio recorder, which I wish I didn't have to do, especially since I was planning to buy the proprietary samsung mic that is now a unicorn. But does the NX1 have anything the NX500 doesnt besides those two things that would benefit using it for video?

The NX1 is has quite a few features that the NX500 doesn't have mainly the EVF and no 4k crop.

However I would suggest you don't upgrade and save your money to buy into a new system. Not because the samsung system is not good but because you will have to eventually so mine as well save as much money as you can to fully leap into a new system when the time comes. This is exactly what I am doing.

In my opinion, NX1 is a much better experience. Best ergonomics, best battery, heat management, 120fps, no 4K crop (all the rest have some kind of crop, even X1.1), best menu system, Operating System, and all these best in class. If you can find for really cheap (less than 899euros, or less than 1399 including any of the S lenses) and you have some NX lenses already, then it is worth it. I don't see any competitive camera for less than double that price soon. Probably the next Sonies will be better (I am talking about overall quality, not a thing or two per camera), but they will be expensive, and they are not going to be here any time soon (the APS-Cs, I expect the next full frame models to be awesome, if based on the new A99 hardware).

42 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

In my opinion, NX1 is a much better experience. Best ergonomics, best battery, heat management, 120fps, no 4K crop (all the rest have some kind of crop, even X1.1), best menu system, Operating System, and all these best in class. If you can find for really cheap (less than 899euros, or less than 1399 including any of the S lenses) and you have some NX lenses already, then it is worth it. I don't see any competitive camera for less than double that price soon. Probably the next Sonies will be better (I am talking about overall quality, not a thing or two per camera), but they will be expensive, and they are not going to be here any time soon (the APS-Cs, I expect the next full frame models to be awesome, if based on the new A99 hardware).

I agree however like I mentioned we are all going to need to change systems eventually and if not buying a NX1 now is the difference between getting a one "pro" lens(24-70) or two "pro" lens(24-70 & 70-200) when you do switch systems in one or two years I would suggest you save your money.

Or if you have money now that is burning a hole in your pocket and you are the type of person who needs to constantly be buying new gear. Invest in gear support like a mono pod or gimbal. Hell even get a drone all of these will improve your film making more than upgrading to an NX1 from an NX500.

2 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

"I agree however like I mentioned we are all going to need to change systems eventually and if not buying a NX1 now is the difference between getting a one "pro" lens(24-70) or two "pro" lens(24-70 & 70-200) when you do switch systems in one or two years I would suggest you save your money.

Or if you have money now that is burning a hole in your pocket and you are the type of person who needs to constantly be buying new gear. Invest in gear support like a mono pod or gimbal. Hell even get a drone all of these will improve your film making more than upgrading to an NX1 from an NX500."

Not really, let's take a serious APS-C camera (a proper one, not the Sony gimmicks).

The new Fuji is 1599$ and 329$ with the grip (without, it isn't even close to the NX1), and the similar to the S lens being 1199$/ if found a NX1 and 16-50S for less than 1399 as I suggested, then it is 1399 against 3127, and in some specific things NX1 is still better (to much better). Honestly, the only thing I can see the Fuji being truly better is one f-stop on video, and maybe the EVF(?), also more battery life, but only with the grip, and the more batteries (that have to be added to the price of 68$ each battery).

So, when the next Fuji will be out, and it will truly be better than the NX1, then you will need around 1599-1899$ more dollars, so 5000$ for a little better camera. People forget that it is not only the cost of the camera you are buying, but the cost of the equipment, to reach that quality/features. People that started with the a6000, have now moved to a6500, with one stop to a6300 in between, and still this camera is not much better than the NX1 (overall quality, ergonomics, battery, heat management, less megapixels, menus, lack of great/some native APS-C lenses, etc), so they are near the 4000$, while they could have the NX1 for 1500$ with the kit lens. 

What I do, is really enjoying my 3 NX cameras with my set of lenses, and they still will be competitive in a couple of years, it isn't like they will suddenly vaporize. When I decide it is time to move on, I will reconsider my options, and I will have more money, as my cameras and lenses are all bought in very competitive prices already.

Everyone has a drone these days, and I prefer to rent an Inspire one, with a pro user (it is between 150-200$ here, for a one full day of shooting, much cheaper if you only need a Phantom one) than do that as well (and spend more money), and gimbals are going to have their revolution this and the next year, I wouldn't consider it a must buy right now, and good monopods with a head can be found new from 150 - 300$.

NX500 is good too. But is my second camera.

an NX1 with the 16-50s lens would be ideal. I need image stabilization for my work ! What really killed the nx1 for me is the latest Samsung fiasco with the galaxy 7. Doesn't seem like Samsung does a good job of supporting their products. 

either way if you own an NX1 i don't think you would need to get rid of it any time soon unless you need image stabilization

@Kisaha, I think you missed my point regarding saving your money to buy more or better gear when you actually do change brands witch we all need to do eventually. All I am saying is I personally wont be shooting on an NX1 or NX500 in two years from now and the upgrade from the NX500 to the NX1 is not worth the money for two years of use. Does that make sense?

for $1,500 you could buy alot of gear that will last you forever and will improve your workflow alot more than the upgrade. The monopod and drone were just some examples as I have no idea what he currently has. Hell i would even suggest take the northrups advice and spend that money on a trip somewhere for a week and shoot a short film about it that IMO is a better investment than upgrading from the NX500 to NX1.

No, I didn't missed your point, it just isn't  argument-proof; and yes, it does make sense, but in the wrong side of Sense-O-Meter.

As I explained (with both my examples) the price you pay NOW, for two years of use is adequate, as all the rest of the options are all far more expensive, more than double the price, and when not (in case of the Canon M really) isn't technologically on par with the NX system.

The NX1 is more than two years in the market, and there isn't a clearly better APS-C mirrorless camera, still. As I already explained, if someone bought the NX1 with the kit lens for 1499$ two years ago, he had the bargain of the century (almost).

Now, if you have already some NX stuff, maybe it is still a better deal to get some more NX stuff to make your life and production better. Also you have a two camera system for interviews, live coverage, sports, theater e.t.c and that doesn't mean that it won't have any value in two years time.

How much value has the a600 that one bought a year ago for 1000$, when in a few months, a6500 will be a few hundred more than that price? 

True story: http://www.katerelos.gr/product/43887/sony-alpha-6300-body.html?ref=3 This is the price a friend of mine bought his a6300 a month ago, and it is still the price. That is 1600$, with not even a front wheel to change the aperture/shutter speed and he had to sell a Canon 6D and a couple of lenses for that.

NX1 is a pro camera, and as such it is a whole different experience. The whole approach is pro, and with protected from the elements body.

Also, it has EVF, much bigger battery, best ergonomics in class, better HDMI out, 120 fps in Full HD (best in class), faster SD writing speeds (and buffer), larger bit rates, mic in and headphones out, and a few other things I guess. Even one of the audio ports (not even both of them!) and some slight changes makes a different model for Panasonic and 2-3 hundred $ more! So yes, NX1 is really an upgrade, a big one.

Then, if you sell your 500 and get 400$ back, what other system you can construct consisting of 2 cameras (NX1 and NX500) a pro lens and another good prime (an S lens and the 30 or 45mm) for similar money? 

What gear lasts for ever? Even Sachtler tripods costing multiple times 1500 haven't lasted forever, and even Sennheisser 416s have been to service for various reasons. do not even mention latest digital stuff, that I won't see them last not only 5 years, not forever (which is an incredible large amount of time to be consider as a reality)!

6 hours ago, Francesco Tasselli said:

My friends do you have suggestions on where to find a 16-50s for less than 900 euros?

I look around but cannot find it.

Apart from this, great new things coming from Luca!

have you tried ebay ? I randomly find good deals on the 16-50s. I don't think a lot of these sellers are moving their stock so maybe you can get it even cheaper with a buy it now offer on ebay

14 hours ago, Kisaha said:

No, I didn't missed your point, it just isn't  argument-proof; and yes, it does make sense, but in the wrong side of Sense-O-Meter.

IMO investing in a new body has the lowest ROI for improving your film making than any other peace of gear so IMO you are on the wrong side of the "Sense-O-Meter" :glasses:

As I explained (with both my examples) the price you pay NOW, for two years of use is adequate, as all the rest of the options are all far more expensive, more than double the price, and when not (in case of the Canon M really) isn't technologically on par with the NX system.

The NX1 is more than two years in the market, and there isn't a clearly better APS-C mirrorless camera, still. As I already explained, if someone bought the NX1 with the kit lens for 1499$ two years ago, he had the bargain of the century (almost).

Now, if you have already some NX stuff, maybe it is still a better deal to get some more NX stuff to make your life and production better. Also you have a two camera system for interviews, live coverage, sports, theater e.t.c and that doesn't mean that it won't have any value in two years time.

How much value has the a600 that one bought a year ago for 1000$, when in a few months, a6500 will be a few hundred more than that price? 

True story: http://www.katerelos.gr/product/43887/sony-alpha-6300-body.html?ref=3 This is the price a friend of mine bought his a6300 a month ago, and it is still the price. That is 1600$, with not even a front wheel to change the aperture/shutter speed and he had to sell a Canon 6D and a couple of lenses for that.

NX1 is a pro camera, and as such it is a whole different experience. The whole approach is pro, and with protected from the elements body.

You keep trying to compare the NX1 to other cameras currently on the market today witch is completely missing my point that regardless how good or bad other cameras are compared to samsung, the NX system is dead and eventually we will all need to pick a new one and switch and buy all new bodies and lenses and at that point in time I would mach rather have an extra $1500 in my pocket to spend then to have the an EVF, 120p and no crop 4k for 2 years. But that is my opinion and my advice he can take it or leave.

Maybe if the question was I currently have an cannon M series camera should I upgrade to the NX1 then your arguments and examples make sense.

Also, it has EVF, much bigger battery, best ergonomics in class, better HDMI out, 120 fps in Full HD (best in class), faster SD writing speeds (and buffer), larger bit rates, mic in and headphones out, and a few other things I guess. Even one of the audio ports (not even both of them!) and some slight changes makes a different model for Panasonic and 2-3 hundred $ more! So yes, NX1 is really an upgrade, a big one.

Then, if you sell your 500 and get 400$ back, what other system you can construct consisting of 2 cameras (NX1 and NX500) a pro lens and another good prime (an S lens and the 30 or 45mm) for similar money? 

This is a completely different circumstance I am not at all suggesting he sell is NX500 and he clearly was not talking about buying a B camera(or in this case new A camera) he clearly said "Should I upgrade" and the answer IMO is no the features gained from going from an NX500 to an NX1 is not worth $1500. again that is my opinion he can take it or leave it I don't really care.

What gear lasts for ever? Even Sachtler tripods costing multiple times 1500 haven't lasted forever, and even Sennheisser 416s have been to service for various reasons. do not even mention latest digital stuff, that I won't see them last not only 5 years, not forever (which is an incredible large amount of time to be consider as a reality)!

I didnt mean forever in a literal sense and I know you are smart enough to know that so why even bring this up.