Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Dean said:

Sounds great. I'd love to see if it works.

The bitrate hack is certainly very clean and detailed !! ... I found a little surprise on this water lily when I zoomed in at 400% :)

This was using normal gamma with everything at zero. 16-235. Probably should have turned sharpening down to -10.

01.jpg

01a.jpg

Have you checked if you have better DR using 16-235?
This was a leftover from the analogue age, and it most probably after the image is ready for encoding (and the DR is basically set) the encoder gets instructed to set those min/max values, which would result in lower tonal resolution, and no increase of DR (if we don't count some, if any, value interpolation by decoders, for the clipped regions).

3 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

I think it's an early bird thing. So to encourage to get one as fast as possible!

I wouldn't put so many options, I think it would be better to reward early backers and then offer with normal price.

Can't order now myself (no money) but I'm interested to see how it's going to work.

18 hours ago, kinoseed said:

Have you checked if you have better DR using 16-235?
This was a leftover from the analogue age, and it most probably after the image is ready for encoding (and the DR is basically set) the encoder gets instructed to set those min/max values, which would result in lower tonal resolution, and no increase of DR (if we don't count some, if any, value interpolation by decoders, for the clipped regions).

You take my intelligence fro granted ... haha.

I have no idea what most of what you asked mean. I am just a novice when it comes to video.

Should I not use 16-235 any more? I used 0-255 or what ever it is once and the whites looked too white and the blacks too black.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

You take my intelligence fro granted ... haha.

I have no idea what most of what you asked mean. I am just a novice when it comes to video.

Should I not use 16-235 any more? I used 0-255 or what ever it is once and the whites looked too white and the blacks too black.

if you don't intend to grade (colour-correct) your video (in post-production), go for 16-235 :thumbsup:
otherwise, go for the 0-255 :)

14 hours ago, lucabutera said:

You should let to know also Andrew (I think it is worth to create article about all this stuff - NX Speedbooster and bitrate hacks too) + let to know other NX users on DPREVIEW ( http://***URL removed***/forums/1001 ).

This is really great achievement of you that was partly supported by community NX1 community here on EOSHD. I think it is unique that someone was able to design and create so complicated tool in terms of precision just because of enthusiasm (I think it is unique also for EOSHD as general). Quite funny is that Metabones declared that it is impossible to create something like this becuase of NX flange distance... 

1 hour ago, Pavel Mašek said:

You should let to know also Andrew (I think it is worth to create article about all this stuff - NX Speedbooster and bitrate hacks too) + let to know other NX users on DPREVIEW ( http://***URL removed***/forums/1001 ).

This is really great achievement of you that was partly supported by community NX1 community here on EOSHD. I think it is unique that someone was able to design and create so complicated tool in terms of precision just because of enthusiasm (I think it is unique also for EOSHD as general). Quite funny is that Metabones declared that it is impossible to create something like this becuase of NX flange distance... 

Andrew is always updated. He always follows our work. He will also get a NXL adapter these days.
I hope he is not too bad in his review :-)
In 24 hours I reached 2.980,00 euro of orders, this is awesome !!!
Help me too to advertise it. It is a good news for Samsung NX fans.
Metabones had no interest in building it. I do not believe in their justifications.

TNX for your support!

3 hours ago, kinoseed said:

if you don't intend to grade (colour-correct) your video (in post-production), go for 16-235 :thumbsup:
otherwise, go for the 0-255 :)

I will but just with Film Convert and a few tweaks ... worth using 0-255 then?

Also, sometimes I use Andrews Log LUT for the NX1 and for that you need to film in 16-235.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I will but just with Film Convert and a few tweaks ... worth using 0-255 then?

Also, sometimes I use Andrews Log LUT for the NX1 and for that you need to film in 16-235.

Cheers.

In one case you have 256 possible values of the r/g/b, with the other you have 220 (shades of r/g/b), if it's worth using depends on your needs.
(no idea why you would want to limit the Log LUT to 16-235, which means the LUT clips everything below 16 and above 235, forcing you to record with more limited tonal resolution)

I made a LUT for my own use, here it is with some additional warming:
NX-KS3_LUT.jpg

Camera setting:
WB: Auto WB G:1 B:0 A:2 M:0
Color: Red:x0.87 Green:x0.90 Blue:x1.00
Saturation: -3 / Sharpness: -10 / Contrast: -5 / Hue: 0

Usually I put a LUM-curve (to adjust black level, contrast and highlights, if needed) and above (next) the LUT (which you can adjust for temperature, sat to taste)
you can download it and use it for non-commercial work from here:

I bought one! I'm super excited to play with it, and finally get to experiment with all my FF glass the way it's meant to be used. I'll be putting it through the paces for sure, with both video and stills, using all kinds of Nikon glass, m42, c/y, Minolta, and canon of course, on both my NX1 and NX500... and I'll be posting all of my findings and results here! Can't wait! 

Special thanks to @lucabutera for making all this possible... You're definitely helping to keep our small, loyal band of NX users alive. 

3 hours ago, Parker said:

I bought one! I'm super excited to play with it, and finally get to experiment with all my FF glass the way it's meant to be used. I'll be putting it through the paces for sure, with both video and stills, using all kinds of Nikon glass, m42, c/y, Minolta, and canon of course, on both my NX1 and NX500... and I'll be posting all of my findings and results here! Can't wait! 

Special thanks to @lucabutera for making all this possible... You're definitely helping to keep our small, loyal band of NX users alive. 

TNX @Parker!

5 hours ago, grey said:

Ordered...now...i can't wait to use it for my works...go on Luca!

TNX!