Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, NX1user said:

Buried in one of these threads and on test videos from youtube, my recollection is that there wasn't a huge improvement in image quality above 180-200, that's why 180 is the default. Going from the factory 80 to 180, you will notice a huge improvement in what you can do with the image in post. Also, small tight patterns like asphalt or distant tree leaves look much better.

Which hack to use depends on what you want. KS has more features, is reliable, but takes a few seconds to load when turning on the camera. Vasile's hack loads immediately, is reliable, but has less features and takes more steps to install initially. If you just want bitrate, Vasile's might be a better choice. Check out KS features though, he's done some amazing work, you may decide his is better for you.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll probably try KS's hack first.

Would be nice if there were separate threads on this this sub forum dedicated to each of the different hacks with instructions and links in their first posts (including how to donate to the authors). Would make things a lot easier and move things forward faster I reckon ...

I measured roughly some time ago and got ~8ms rolling shutter for 2.5k on NX500. All other modes (FHD, UHD, 4K) were 24-30ms.

Could someone else verify that and could someone more experienced than me guesstimate whether it's skipping lines, binning, etc? Occasional weird horizontal line pattern suggest it might skip lines but I'm not sure how to check properly. 

1 hour ago, Otto K said:

I measured roughly some time ago and got ~8ms rolling shutter for 2.5k on NX500. All other modes (FHD, UHD, 4K) were 24-30ms.

Could someone else verify that and could someone more experienced than me guesstimate whether it's skipping lines, binning, etc? Occasional weird horizontal line pattern suggest it might skip lines but I'm not sure how to check properly. 

... does RS really matter? (we can't really change or make it better, can we?)
however, I don't know if it's just me, but looking at the great example @Geoff CB showed here, don't you feel like the effect is much higher at the acceleration points, and when the speed is stable, the effect is negligible ?

@Otto K, if you are interested if the 2.5K is line-skipping (which it looks it does), maybe the moire effect will be more telling (and maybe it could show how much skipping is does), but again, (how) can we use that info?

edit:
On a more positive note, last thing before the summer, I think we got two addresses which load LUT at recording start, so maybe we can modify and get those customized, however at the time I didn't recognize the format (they are not 3D LUTs).
And if we can find a way to read exposure levels maybe we can get the time-lapse to auto-correct the exposure, and completely automate it for sun sets/rises.

I installed the KS Hack last night and all went well. This morning I got up and tried to get into the menu (pressing ev & OK) but it wouldn't let me for some reason. I know the hack was still operational because Camcorder mode was still on. Any reason this would happen. This morning I took the battery out and reinstalled the software and it looks Ok again. 

Looking forward to testing the higher bit rate out today :)

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I installed the KS Hack last night and all went well. This morning I got up and tried to get into the menu (pressing ev & OK) but it wouldn't let me for some reason. I know the hack was still operational because Camcorder mode was still on. Any reason this would happen. This morning I took the battery out and reinstalled the software and it looks Ok again. 

Looking forward to testing the higher bit rate out today :)

The camcorder mode was making problems for the keyscan (all other shortcuts would not work) after camera restart, but I though I fixed that, but apparently it is still happening. Make sure you turn off the camera-mode before turning off the camera, so it won't start on boot. (starting it manually seems does not cause the issue)

edit: the fix was rolled back in one of the latest updates, so it appeared again (my bad)
I'll update the pack in a few min.

edit2: nx-ks pack is updated (issue is fixed)

3 minutes ago, kinoseed said:

The camcorder mode was making problems for the keyscan (all other shortcuts would not work) after camera restart, but I though I fixed that, but apparently it is still happening. Make sure you turn off the camera-mode before turning off the camera, so it won't start on boot. (starting it manually seems does not cause the issue)

Thanks for the reply and thanks for all the hard work on the hack. All good now anyway after loading the software again. The CamCorder mode is switched off.

Just come back from a couple of hours of shooting with it.

Can you tell me how I donate? I've donated to Vasile but not to you yet.

Also, would there ever be any chance of having AF-S in video mode? :)

I'd love this for the type of street video shooting I like to do. Would also make Samsung's little primes with no AF switch useful in video.

20 minutes ago, Dean said:

Thanks for the reply and thanks for all the hard work on the hack. All good now anyway after loading the software again. The CamCorder mode is switched off.

Just come back from a couple of hours of shooting with it.

Can you tell me how I donate? I've donated to Vasile but not to you yet.

Also, would there ever be any chance of having AF-S in video mode? :)

I'd love this for the type of street video shooting I like to do. Would also make Samsung's little primes with no AF switch useful in video.

The updated v2.50 is up, which should fix the issue with camcorder mode on boot.

When in comes to donations:
Q: So, where's the Donate button?
A: Nowhere. Find a suitable charity and donate. If you cannot afford it, find a local charity and see if they need help in person - it will do you a world of good.

:) cheers

7 minutes ago, kinoseed said:

The updated v2.50 is up, which should fix the issue with camcorder mode on boot.

When in comes to donations:
Q: So, where's the Donate button?
A: Nowhere. Find a suitable charity and donate. If you cannot afford it, find a local charity and see if they need help in person - it will do you a world of good.

:) cheers

Ok, thanks. We have actually done some work in person in the past ... for stray animals. I'll donate a bit extra next time as well.

Not to be a serial pest question asker, but would there ever be a chance of AF-S in video ? :) 

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Ok, thanks. We have actually done some work in person in the past ... for stray animals. I'll donate a bit extra next time as well.

Not to be a serial pest question asker, but would there ever be a chance of AF-S in video ? :) 

"AF-S in video mode" - changing focus while in video turned problematic (focus pulling is barely working as it is at lower bitrates), but ... maybe something like focusing first, then starting video-rec in manual? (not sure if it will work)

Just now, kinoseed said:

"AF-S in video mode" - changing focus while in video turned problematic (focus pulling is barely working as lower bitrates), but ... maybe something like focusing first, then starting video-rec in manual? (not sure if it will work)

Anything like that would be excellent ... perfect in fact.

At the moment with my 16-50/2-28 I usually compose the shot with the AF point where I want it on the subject ... physically switch off AF on the lens ... press AF/ON which I have assigned to lock exposure ... then press record. I do this in "S" mode with shutter @ 1/50 and a 3 stop X4 filter on. Works nicely from run & gun street type videos.

What you are proposing (focusing first, then starting video-rec in manual) would be great !!

Cheers.

19 minutes ago, Dean said:

Anything like that would be excellent ... perfect in fact.

At the moment with my 16-50/2-28 I usually compose the shot with the AF point where I want it on the subject ... physically switch off AF on the lens ... press AF/ON which I have assigned to lock exposure ... then press record. I do this in "S" mode with shutter @ 1/50 and a 3 stop X4 filter on. Works nicely from run & gun street type videos.

What you are proposing (focusing first, then starting video-rec in manual) would be great !!

Cheers.

The camcorder-mode module was written by @Otto K :) maybe if we don't mask the HS, it will basically do exactly what's needed, and only a manual-focus on rec-start will be needed to have it working like that.
(I mainly use manual lenses, so I get to manual focus all the time)

38 minutes ago, kinoseed said:

The camcorder-mode module was written by @Otto K :) maybe if we don't mask the HS, it will basically do exactly what's needed, and only a manual-focus on rec-start will be needed to have it working like that.
(I mainly use manual lenses, so I get to manual focus all the time)

Sounds great. I'd love to see if it works.

The bitrate hack is certainly very clean and detailed !! ... I found a little surprise on this water lily when I zoomed in at 400% :)

This was using normal gamma with everything at zero. 16-235. Probably should have turned sharpening down to -10.

01.jpg

01a.jpg