Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

@kidzrevil

@vaga

The whole idea of 16-235 in the first place was because in the old days cathode ray tubes (TV's) could not handle the complete dynamic range of an 8 bit signal so programming suppliers had to supply media that had a limited dynamic range.

Nowadays modern TV's can easily handle the full 8 bit spectrum so the need for shooting in 16-235 has long since gone. Adobe Premiere seems to be stuck in the mud in that it is assuming that media dropped to the timeline (at least in the case of the NX1/500) is shot at 16-235. The problem lies in that although there are workarounds as I have previously described, the curve that is applied to the 16-235 footage to bring the levels back to black and white is almost impossible to reverse completely so everyone is assuming that the camera is clipping blacks and whites which is simply not the case.

Let's consider a hypothetical situation and take this to extremes. Instead of shooting in 0-255 let's try 123-124 the resulting clip would have no dynamic range and just two shades of each colour, the fact that 16-235 does not appear to show this is that all editors apply a curve to this footage to bring the 16 back to 0 and the 235 back to 255, it appears seamless because that's what the editors do but there is no doubt that you are losing dynamic range and colour gradation.

Try installing the free version of Davinci Resolve and you will see no clipping on 0-255 footage, surely it can't hurt to try it, and honestly the colour grading is so much better than Adobe premiere.

But... having said all that you are all welcome to your opinions and I know this is one of those subjects which carries controversy and will continue to do so until the end of time or more likely the common use of 10 bit shooting which negates this whole conversation.

Good health to you all and cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am using Vasile's 5.2 bitrate hack, I use 180Mbps 4K30fps - no issues so far BUT I have dropped frames with 110Mbps (even with 100 Mbps) 1080p120fps. No matter if I use slowmo video without sound or direct 120fps. Final video has 29.6fps or 119.1fps.

I thought it can happen with Samsung lenses with AF but it also happend it when using manual lens. Strange is that I filmed 2 exactly same scenes with this manual lens and one had dropped frames and second not - so it hard to test it. For example I made 3 clips today with 110Mbps and no one had dropped frames. Other day - almost every 120fps clip has dropped frames ( I mostly see it in shallow depth of field scenes). Using still same card - Lexar 2000x 64GB.

Anyone has same experience?

1 hour ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I am using Vasile's 5.2 bitrate hack, I use 180Mbps 4K30fps - no issues so far BUT I have dropped frames with 110Mbps (even with 100 Mbps) 1080p120fps. No matter if I use slowmo video without sound or direct 120fps. Final video has 29.6fps or 119.1fps.

I thought it can happen with Samsung lenses with AF but it also happend it when using manual lens. Strange is that I filmed 2 exactly same scenes with this manual lens and one had dropped frames and second not - so it hard to test it. For example I made 3 clips today with 110Mbps and no one had dropped frames. Other day - almost every 120fps clip has dropped frames ( I mostly see it in shallow depth of field scenes). Using still same card - Lexar 2000x 64GB.

Anyone has same experience?

I thought that bitrate was stable for 120p.

1 hour ago, sandro said:

Yes, I thought that too. But I rather ask if someone elsie has similar problem. It seems that Kinoseed hack could achieve stable framerate for that bitrate.

I have tried Vasile's 5.3 but I I have dropped frames in 4K180Mps so I downgrade back to 5.2 and it seems to be OK (except 120fps). 

Yesterday I shoot some clips at 6400 ISO and I'm seriously confused on how Samsung managed to get this bad image on the NX1. It doesn't even seem a NR thing just the sensor/HW that are bad designed. I'm considering getting A6300 for night shots B camera for little money if i'll ever need it. A6300 seems clean up to 12800. It probably didn't help that I was shooting at 60P.

17 minutes ago, sandro said:

Yesterday I shoot some clips at 6400 ISO and I'm seriously confused on how Samsung managed to get this bad image on the NX1. It doesn't even seem a NR thing just the sensor/HW that are bad designed. I'm considering getting A6300 for night shots B camera for little money if i'll ever need it. A6300 seems clean up to 12800. It probably didn't help that I was shooting at 60P.

Lets not forget the NX1 is almost two years old now. compariing it against the a6300 is not a fair comarison

10 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

Lets not forget the NX1 is almost two years old now. compariing it against the a6300 is not a fair comarison

You're right I'm probably spoiled by the fact that the nx1 is so advanced but yet fails on these "basic" things.

hey guys, new member here. I have skimmed this thread over the past 24 hours and was able to get my nxpatch 5.3 installed. I thought the time limit removal was automatic but it seems not. I set UHD to 100Mbit/s and am limited to 4:45 recording time. Where do I disable the time limit?

Also, slightly confused with the resolution selection. Does the factory menu setting for res still do anything? Why would I ever want to do FHD -> UHD or UHD->FHD when I can select UHD or FHD individually? 

1 hour ago, sandro said:

You're right I'm probably spoiled by the fact that the nx1 is so advanced but yet fails on these "basic" things.

You are just getting to that point when your camera is no longer the hot young thing it used to be and you are starting to lust after those younger bodies ;)

This only ever applies to camera bodies and not anything else lol.

3 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

You are just getting to that point when your camera is no longer the hot young thing it used to be and you are starting to lust after those younger bodies ;)

This only ever applies to camera bodies and not anything else lol.

Wasn't the a6000 even better in low light?

6 hours ago, sandro said:

Still images in raw are good at those iso. So the issue is video.

9 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

hey guys, new member here. I have skimmed this thread over the past 24 hours and was able to get my nxpatch 5.3 installed. I thought the time limit removal was automatic but it seems not. I set UHD to 100Mbit/s and am limited to 4:45 recording time. Where do I disable the time limit?

Also, slightly confused with the resolution selection. Does the factory menu setting for res still do anything? Why would I ever want to do FHD -> UHD or UHD->FHD when I can select UHD or FHD individually? 

OK I figured out the time limit in the DEV menu, all set there. But still not really sure why I would use FHD->UHD or vice versa. Also, bummed 1080p120 doesnt work :(

On 19. 8. 2016 at 4:52 PM, sandro said:

Yes,60p can produce nice image only below ISO 400, 120p only below ISO 200 and 4k below ISO 1600.

I saw unedited clip from A6300 with ISO 3200 and it was quite noisy but noise grain was finer and detailed (filmic?) and not blockier as it is on NX1. But in general according dpreview - NX1 is little less noiser than is A6300 in photo mode...

On 17. 8. 2016 at 0:45 PM, sandro said:

I have tried also hack v5.3 with killall and still had dropped frames with bitrate 100Mbps. Finally my solution is switch to 100 frames (1/4 slowmo 25fps) and then I can use very high bitrate (180Mbps!) without any dropped frames. I shoot in 4K30p so it would be problematic to have 25p clip in the project - to make 120 frames (1/4 slowmo 30fps) I simply make clip faster (20%) or use Twixtor for conversion from 25fps to 30fps.

It is worth to do it as 180Mbps 100p image is very nice and without any compression artefacts. 

38 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Pavel MaÅ¡ek wow ! Trying this today ! How do you change the frame rate with the hack ?

It is not done because of hack - you just have to change video out in menu from NTSC to PAL. Than you will have 100 fps instead of 120 fps.100fps can easily manage 180Mbps - it did not see any issue so far. I will se later if it is completely OK. 

Yes, it is not so slow as 120fps but becuase of compression I will probably prefer it ... yes - there is still aliasing but no compression artefacts.

2 hours ago, Martin Kuipers said:

The hack has a little bug I found. There is no audio recording in 25P/30P/50P/60P mode. I selected the regulair option, not the fast/slow motion ones. Anyone else have this problem?

Which one NX-Patch or KS?
NX-Patch v5.3 on NX500 work fine for me, no issues with audio.