Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

It's cool ! This was vivid at -10 sharpness,-5 saturation, 0 contrast and 0 hue. My luma was aT 16-235 cause premiere acts weird with 0-255 unless you convert to 16-235 with fast color corrector. If you Insist on using 0-255 I would move the master black level to +8 or +15. No DIS and def rolling shutter in 4K but idc. Not anal about rolling shutter, I seen rolling shutter artifacts when watching "The Green Inferno" in theaters. Just don't whip pan. I shot this with a 28mm, 50mm & 85mm handheld. I use default srgb with kodak 5207 at super 16mm @Georg P. Mueller

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/29/2016 at 11:55 AM, cisco150 said:

I feel the same way 180mbps I only need as well. Thanks again everyone. Loving my NX1 on 1.40 with bitrate hack 

Hi forum and community members .I Have a question yesterday I try recording in 1080p 120 slow motion and with the 180mbps using pro mode but the video is not slow mode 120. I was using Sutter speed 1/125 does that restricted the 120 slow mode or is it the bitrate hack. Thanks for the help.

In my limited testing I've found that 180mbps is too much for the NX1 to handle for 120fps. It records at a variable frame rate instead of a fixed 120fps. Bumping the bit rate down to 120mbps has kept the fixed 120fps for me. 

35 minutes ago, iamoui said:

In my limited testing I've found that 180mbps is too much for the NX1 to handle for 120fps. It records at a variable frame rate instead of a fixed 120fps. Bumping the bit rate down to 120mbps has kept the fixed 120fps for me. 

Hmm, maybe we should do 120 for HD and 160 for UHD ? Maybe thats the sweet spot 

20 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Hmm, maybe we should do 120 for HD and 160 for UHD ? Maybe thats the sweet spot 

120mbps for 120fps HD. 160/180mbps was fine and kept a fixed frame rate for 24p/30p/60p HD. Again, this was limited testing. 

What I've done for HD is set the Pro to 180mbps for when I want to use 24p/60p and the HQ to 120mbps for 120fps. It's a lot quicker than going in to the hack GUI and changing the bit rate manually.

37 minutes ago, iamoui said:

120mbps for 120fps HD. 160/180mbps was fine and kept a fixed frame rate for 24p/30p/60p HD. Again, this was limited testing. 

What I've done for HD is set the Pro to 180mbps for when I want to use 24p/60p and the HQ to 120mbps for 120fps. It's a lot quicker than going in to the hack GUI and changing the bit rate manually.

And this is with the new hack for 1.41 ?

11 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

And this is with the new hack for 1.41 ?

No this is with one of Kinoseeds mod packs for 1.40 firmware. I didn't see any reason to upgrade to 1.41. I use an iPhone, and I love the bit rate hack!

edit: wait, what new hack for 1.41? Vasile's?

edit2: just read through the dpreview thread on vasile's new hack for 1.41 and saw that someone claimed to have true 120fps at 180mbps. Guess I'm going to have to test it tomorrow!

1 hour ago, lucabutera said:

Why samsung hack works fine with 1.41 firmware? it is possible that the technical samsung work in their firmware updated to help our hack?

that would be incredible ! I just installed 1.41 and the kino seed update and the UI is so fast, so responsive ! Looks like it is performing better than it did on 1.40

Just to update those of you who are not on dpreview but there has been a falling out between Kino Seed (primary contributor of NX-KS) and vasile (the original bitrate hack creator). They are now producing separate hacks.

Vasile has a hack that has a UI, auto install and uninstall and works on both the new versions of NX1 and NX500. He is going to work on a new way of implementing the hack so it does not need BT to work and should speed up the hack. You can find his hack here. There are a few UI bugs but things are looking really good so far.

I believe NX-KS now has a bitrate hack as well for the NX500 but not for the NX1 yet. He has also implemented a bunch of other neat hacks such as zoom exposure and stuff. None of these other hacks are really useful to me but others on dpreview are loving them.

P.S. I liked it better when we had one hack not two and its hard to tell if this is going to be a good thing or not but I am not in a position to complain.... I got my high bitrate :)

2 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

that would be incredible ! I just installed 1.41 and the kino seed update and the UI is so fast, so responsive ! Looks like it is performing better than it did on 1.40

And the bit rate hack is working for the NX1 with the new firmware and new Kinoseed pack?

10 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

It's cool ! This was vivid at -10 sharpness,-5 saturation, 0 contrast and 0 hue. My luma was aT 16-235 cause premiere acts weird with 0-255 unless you convert to 16-235 with fast color corrector. If you Insist on using 0-255 I would move the master black level to +8 or +15. No DIS and def rolling shutter in 4K but idc. Not anal about rolling shutter, I seen rolling shutter artifacts when watching "The Green Inferno" in theaters. Just don't whip pan. I shot this with a 28mm, 50mm & 85mm handheld. I use default srgb with kodak 5207 at super 16mm @Georg P. Mueller

Great - thanks kidzrevil! Will try it out!

I guess some clarifications are in order.
NX-KS works with the new fw versions (1.12 / 1.41) for both cameras, and sets the bitrates as before, with one addition of 400Mbps for time-lapses.

@MountneerMan, vasile was never really part of NX-KS, from the very start I did uses his mod, but very soon after Otto made "poker" I started using that, which allowed for faster loading, and higher stable bitrates. Vasile, even tough apparently he obfuscated the bitrates and had to be "hacked" to be used with "poker" was given full credit.

Lets say that "falling out" is put mildly as there was never a "functioning team", often resulting him demanding of proof for this or that, like when I posted a very high-bit video, he demanded that I show him jump-table for a hack or give him credit for the video that I made, as "apparently I modified the bitrates using his spreadsheet" ... and so forth. Lets say the constant slander was almost a harassment.

When the new FW showed up, I gave him the new addresses, but the values were suspect, and after waiting a week for him to produce the new bitrates (as I suspected were different) he just said "they are the same" while apparently he's been working on his "mod". Well something didn't add up as the values from Samsung did not match Vasiles.
So I redid his hack, and found he had miscalculated the values 4 bits out of 8 bytes, (which was not critical in the end, but gave different values) maybe it was not from his calculations, but error from his obfuscation - no idea, didn't really care to check his work that much.

I can't speak of his new "mod", as I have not checked it, and don't intend to.
But since he didn't contribute anything for the latest NX-KS mod, and only made sure his work can't be really used as opensource, was enough to let him go and do his own thing, although teaming with Otto was great.

That about sums it up. : )

But of course I had to say Otto has my full respect!
He is the one that made it all possible.

6 hours ago, kinoseed said:

Vasile, even tough apparently he obfuscated the bitrates and had to be "hacked" to be used with "poker" was given full credit.

Indeed. Since I chose to publish everything, from the beginning as GPL, it was in my best interest to obfuscate these values so no-one could understand them. After all, why publish as close source when I can achieve the same effect by GPL'ing my work and intentionally obfuscating it so to make it unreadable and unusable. Oh. Wait.

When the new FW showed up, I gave him the new addresses, but the values were suspect, and after waiting a week for him to produce the new bitrates (as I suspected were different) he just said "they are the same" while apparently he's been working on his "mod". Well something didn't add up as the values from Samsung did not match Vasiles.

The bitrate values are the same. This is a complete lie - go check the bitrate values between the old and new firmware (in my code or in his) and judge for yourselves. @MountneerMan - your background might help - you can also confirm that the new bitrate calculation in my code is precisely the same as the one I incorporated in my Excel spreadsheet I published a long time ago.

In addition, the code that needs to be changed is bit by bit the same between the two firmware versions, and the changes therefore have to be the same to achieve the same result. Claiming the bit rate values are different between the two firmware versions is simply untrue.

I won't comment on the allegations as to the reason for the delay but my comments at the time are available on dpreview - you can all go read the facts. And BTW I have a life outside of this as I made clear from the beginning.

So I redid his hack, and found he had miscalculated the values 4 bits out of 8 bytes, (which was not critical in the end, but gave different values) maybe it was not from his calculations, but error from his obfuscation - no idea, didn't really care to check his work that much.

My spreadsheet is available to all for checking. Enough said.

But since he didn't contribute anything for the latest NX-KS mod, and only made sure his work can't be really used as opensource, was enough to let him go and do his own thing, although teaming with Otto was great.

This again calls for a bit of judgment: why would I release everything as open source if I did not want it used?. Please read this coming from @MountneerMan; it was feedback I did not request as the author will confirm.

There a lot of public comments on dpreview from KS that are offensive to me - I chose not to respond to them because I am a long time member of that forum and do not want to start a flame war there which would endanger my membership. I read them at the beginning but not for a good while.

Now I see this here. Well, I've had it.

Having said that, @Andrew Reid, I apologize for disturbing the peace on your property and promise to not do it again. I am just asking you to try to understand and overlook  this one-time digression.

Thanks and kind regards.

35 minutes ago, vasile said:

There a lot of public comments on dpreview from KS that are offensive to me - I chose not to respond to them because I am a long time member of that forum and do not want to start a flame war there which would endanger my membership. I read them at the beginning but not for a good while.

Now I see this here. Well, I've had it.

Having said that, @Andrew Reid, I apologize for disturbing the peace on your property and promise to not do it again. I am just asking you to try to understand and overlook  this one-time digression.

Thanks and kind regards.

Hey Vasile, raise your voice! Since someone claims that your work is not reliable, it is high time to make your point. We have a great amount of trust in you developers and we all will be happy if you discussed - and solved - your issues openly, the technical as the and the emotional ones.

9 minutes ago, lebigmac said:

Hey Vasile, raise your voice! Since someone claims that your work is not reliable, it is high time to make your point. We have a great amount of trust in you developers and we all will be happy if you discussed - and solved - your issues openly, the technical as the and the emotional ones.

Not going to defend my own work (beyond what I wrote above) since I will be accused I am partial to it and that I would twist things to defend it.

Please look it over yourself on github and make your own opinion. And/or ask someone else to do it for you or help you do it.

I will let my work posted on github advocate my position.