Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, vasile said:

Two points:

1. this

2. If you want to know what me and otto are busy with, the most recent information can be found here. Bookmark it so you do not need to ask in the forum.

Hi. Thanks for all your hard work !! I still haven't downloaded the mods but will soon when I work out how to do it :) I'm really stupid when it comes to stuff like that (scripts and mods and computer stuff !!) but will try. I'd like to PayPal you and Otto some money. Can you point me in the right direction? Is there someone else I should donate too as well? I've kind of lost track of everything :)

This feature really made my day. You press af on, then shutter does not focus anymore and simply takes pictures. Best feature ever for sport shooting where you take many pics at a given (same) distance or where you want to keep a subject in fucus by keeping af on pressed (with caf) and take pics when you are ready.

5 hours ago, Dean said:

Hi. Thanks for all your hard work !! I still haven't downloaded the mods but will soon when I work out how to do it :) I'm really stupid when it comes to stuff like that (scripts and mods and computer stuff !!) but will try. I'd like to PayPal you and Otto some money. Can you point me in the right direction? Is there someone else I should donate too as well? I've kind of lost track of everything :)

Hi Dean,

Thanks for this - if you like the new video bit rates :-) here's how you can help me get a 16-50S: http://goo.gl/7I67Rq

kind regards

16 minutes ago, lebigmac said:

Hi @vasile , in terms of low light video NR you wrote "good chance that video NR is already factory disabled"- Does this mean, that there is no way of improving low light quality via NR manipulation? 

There were talk about some high pass and low pass filters causing the NR that they had discovered anything more I have not read.

Which is weird because my NX500 does not have NR in UHD nor 4k video mode, so clearly NR can be disabled because it is for NX500 in UHD but its enabled in 1080p on the NX500.

5 hours ago, lebigmac said:

Hi @vasile , in terms of low light video NR you wrote "good chance that video NR is already factory disabled"- Does this mean, that there is no way of improving low light quality via NR manipulation? 

Well, I simply wanted to say that the di-camera-app does send the current NR parameters to the T-Kernel for execution, as part of the configuration parameters that are sent after pressing record button. This is consistent with the fact that the NR user interface is not specific to photo or video mode but it is in a common submenu.

So if there's any dodgy stuff happening, it is in the T-Kernel.

What I could use is to have someone make a test shot, twice, using early firmware (that a member of the board stated it did not have NR), and the firmware immediately following that. If he will convince you guys that indeed the earlier firmware did not have permanent NR turned on, I will look into the T-Kernel (but remember the mantra: no promises :-), I am only promising to look into it). And I need the comparative test to be done between successive firmwares in order to minimize the differences between them to narrow down my searches.

The reason I stopped looking is two-folded:

1. T-Kernel is a realtime kernel and cannot be debugged "live" making things a lot more difficult, and
  2. Since the di-camera-app does pass the NR to the T-Kernel, why should it ignore it? Does not make a lot of sense.

So I am unconvinced that there is any "meat" in the "NR on" claims vs. the possibility that it is just the noise curve of the sensor, and this makes me a bit reluctant to pursue it given that the effort is likely to be very significant.

Any takers?

5 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

There were talk about some high pass and low pass filters causing the NR that they had discovered anything more I have not read.

Which is weird because my NX500 does not have NR in UHD nor 4k video mode, so clearly NR can be disabled because it is for NX500 in UHD but its enabled in 1080p on the NX500.

High/low pass discussion was basically waste of time. The references were in a section related to LCD.

"NX500 does not have NR in UHD nor 4k video mode" - did you shoot in same conditions w/ and w/o NR and saw a difference? Can you post this for us to see? But it is not really comparable because on NX500 the UHD is pixel to pixel taken from the sensor whereas on NX1 there is some downscaling done which probably changes the end-result visible noise patterns.

3 hours ago, vasile said:

High/low pass discussion was basically waste of time. The references were in a section related to LCD.

"NX500 does not have NR in UHD nor 4k video mode" - did you shoot in same conditions w/ and w/o NR and saw a difference? Can you post this for us to see? But it is not really comparable because on NX500 the UHD is pixel to pixel taken from the sensor whereas on NX1 there is some downscaling done which probably changes the end-result visible noise patterns.

I can do a more throughout test later but from those two pictures at full resolution, it looks to me like the NX500 does not do NR at all because the grain is so fine detailed. It could also be like you said because its a true sensor readout versus downscaling however that still makes no sense because there is no NR in 2.5k mode and the noise pattern is similar to 2160p and 4k, but I will do a better test later unless someone else does it before me.

11 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I put the NR theory to the test.

my theory is the -10 sharpness is actually smudging out the detail creating the NR look. You guys can test it out yourself  but I am using -5 sharpness now and the image is...incredible.

Very nice, I might test that out too at -10 -5 and 0 sharpness at high ISO from 800 to 6400 both NX1 and NX500 to see if it really makes a massive impact or not, if your theory is correct that actually means 0 is sharpness off and -10 is actually blurring the footage digitally.

12 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

my theory is the -10 sharpness is actually smudging out the detail creating the NR look. You guys can test it out yourself  but I am using -5 sharpness now and the image is...incredible.

Great footage, the ultimate test is high ISO...

1 hour ago, SMGJohn said:

Very nice, I might test that out too at -10 -5 and 0 sharpness at high ISO from 800 to 6400 both NX1 and NX500 to see if it really makes a massive impact or not, if your theory is correct that actually means 0 is sharpness off and -10 is actually blurring the footage digitally.

Yeah please pleaaaasse help run tests on that. the sharpness algorithim and the adaptive noise reduction probably works in tandem 

Just now, sandro said:

Well I just hope for an acceptable 3200ISO...if what you're saying it true..

??? How would that create an acceptable 3200 ? Mind you I never said the NR is disabled At -5 so you may need to lower your expectations. Im sure there are plenty other factors that are affecting the image such as downscaling and adaptive noise reduction. I would still shoot in between 100-800 iso with fast lenses and maybe an LED light or something

16 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I just want to say how much I appreciate all the testing you do with this camera. You've saved me and others probably hundreds of hours of figuring stuff out. I'll be trying out that -5 instead of -10 sharpness based on this video, so thanks! It was also a cool bonus to (sort of) see the guy behind all this work in the vid.