Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

9 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

150 mbps is the sweet spot imo. No lag & nearly twice the stock bitrate. I own the lexar 2000x 64gb

Thanks for info here. How about long shoots like 30 min (or more with record limit off) - is sd-card heating more? I'd say that all my cards little bit hot after long run, need to keep an eye on this maybe, or maybe not?

1 hour ago, shanebrutal said:

Regarding DIS: I don't know if it's just me but it seems buttery smooth compared to before the hack.

Yes I agree, it tends to be improving as bitrate increses, but not so much. I did the little test of DIS without OIS, maybe I nees to redid this with OIS on? I have a 16-50 OIS S lense, do you think DIS and OIS works better together?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi, 

such a cool thread!!!!

I'am about to to the hack V2 on the nx1, just to be sure to have understood everything. By default the script nx-ba.gdb has already improved bitrate. For example the initial 80 bps  pro rate of the NX1is by default on the script at 140bps.

Am I right?

thank for your help

27 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@outerbeat I rarely shoot beyond a 5 minute take so I wouldn't know. Havent noticed any change of temperature with how I shoot though

Me too, in most cases I don't need to shoot long, but rarely I do, and know that card is heating. So far it's no problem, just reminder to keep an eye, "if anything" :)

11 minutes ago, bristo said:

By default the script nx-ba.gdb has already improved bitrate. For example the initial 80 bps  pro rate of the NX1is by default on the script at 140bps. Am I right?

Yes, that is correct. If you set up bluetooth hack before run bitrate hack - it's works this way, yes, you get 140 mbps without editing the nx-ba.gdb file

22 minutes ago, outerbeat said:

Me too, in most cases I don't need to shoot long, but rarely I do, and know that card is heating. So far it's no problem, just reminder to keep an eye, "if anything"

I have tried timelapse with 180Mbit which was little bit longer than 30 minutes. Card was quite hot, but I do not know if I should worried about that. Can card failure brick the camera (with some kind of short circuit)? I hope not.

1 minute ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I have tried timelapse with 180Mbit which was little bit longer than 30 minutes. Card was quite hot, but I do not know if I should worried about that. Can card failure brick the camera (with some kind of short circuit)? I hope not.

Well, I think card can deal with heat, cause in card reader it heating actually more than in camera. I think it's not about short circuit, but about heating itself inside the camera. But from another point of view - sensor is far from sd-card, and it has heat-proof management, camera just shut down itself that's all. But let's this never happens :)

3 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Depends on how it is, if the card is so hot you get burns you probably should just stop with whatever you are doing imao.

SD cards are generally designed to take take some serious punishment, they can survive up to 85 degrees Celsius which is pretty standard across any reputable card manufacturer.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4687/~/sandisk-cards-environmental-tolerance-(waterproof,-temperature,-magnetic-and

The big issue would be the card melting into a sticky liquid inside the camera and...

Kidding aside, I was at a bar one night and a client returned a SanDisk Extreme SD card (20mbs) I'd forgotten about. Stuck it in my jeans pocket (in the little plastic case - which isn't watertight or dustproof). Then we had drink after drink.

Anyway, a few days later, I noticed an SD card sitting in the laundry room. My wife said, "Oh, that thing was in your pocket". It had gone through wash, rinse, and spin, and then into the dryer for an hour. On "cotton" or whatever.

I took it to my desk, out of curiosity I wanted to test it before I threw it out. But… I got busy, and it got mixed into my other cards.

I still shoot with it to this day, a year or more later (not fast enough for my current 4K, but it goes in the big Panasonic and my Nikons). I have no idea which card it is. Works fine though.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nice footage there, what was the grade / LUT?

High bitrates looking great.

Thank you ! I used the visioncolor impulz & osiris luts

I wish I could use 180mbps like the other guys but so far even the 1080p at 150mbps looks phenomenal

1 hour ago, sandro said:

DIS can't be used on non Samsung lenses right?

DIS works with any lens, but OIS - it's just samsung's lens feature. They can work together.

@kidzrevil I use bitrate-hack-BT v2 and two sd-cards for now:

Transcend SDXC 64Gb Class 10 UHS-I U3, 95/60 MB/s - it works with 150 mbps just fine
SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB Class 10 UHS-I U1 95/90 MB/s - that's best one I can get for now, it works with up to 190 mbps

Earlier in this thread I posted almost all my findings and experience about sd-cards, you can easily check this info, hope it helps. 
onetwo, three

Sadly, Kingston SDXC Class 10 UHS-I U3 90/80 MB/s doesn't work for me at all, but I can't tell that I've got disfunctional one or it's just about all series of Kingston's cards. I hope it just broken, though

I only have the samsung kit lens which does not have a dedicated on off switch.

When shooting video there is no option to turn on or off OIS, only DIS. However there is the option in the photo menu. By turning on OIS in the photo menu, will this also stay on for video shooting? or is the camera only using DIS for video?

14 hours ago, outerbeat said:

Yes I agree, it tends to be improving as bitrate increses, but not so much. I did the little test of DIS without OIS, maybe I nees to redid this with OIS on? I have a 16-50 OIS S lense, do you think DIS and OIS works better together?

Yeah try DIS with OIS on, it's very smooth on the 16-50 S. Tripod like if you hold still. I personally wouldnt use DIS without ois turned on if the lens supports it.

But I'm a fan of DIS turned on with vintage adapted glass too.

Guys, 200 mbps confirmed!
SANDISK Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB Class 10 UHS-I U1 95/90 MB/s

I did the test for new version of Kino Seed's mod-pack for nx500 and NX1, and can confirm all this functionality:

Record limit on/off (resets after every reboot)
Setting up bitrate for current mode
Setting up bitrate for any video mode in menu
Hibernate and Sleep mode
Custom functions - focus and batch
Saving and loading profiles
Saving and loading full backup settings

Also - functional key-combinations, like EV+MOBILE for telnet, it's just perfect actually

All of this you can run and setup without rebooting the camera. We did debug for NX1 and all functions are OK and safe to go. While I've tested bitrate hack in this MOD, I find out that now my NX1 and Sandisk now can operate with 210 mbps with little lags, so I set up 200 mbps and it goes smooth and easy. Happy to announce that NX1 now can do 200 mbps video record. Now I'm ready to do some test shooting.

Here is the mod-pack
Thanks to Vasile, Otto K and Kino Seed