Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, sandro said:

@outerbeat when you record video the camera will use sequential writes not random 4K why are you interested in that?

Well, IDK yet dependences between real record algorithms in NX1 and any of tested parameters, maybe I'm totally wrong, but for me it seems that random 4kb write tests shows far more consistent results to actual allowed bitrate, than vendors "write speed ABC Mb\s". It is just theory proof test, I might be totally wrong on that.

But again, vendors write speeds is total BS for NX1 4K record imho. Maybe it is a NX1 thing, yes, but Blackmagic's document actually provides some proof of that not only NX1 have this troubles.

I recently got a Lexar Professional 1000x 128GB UHS-II/U3 Card and it has twice the number of contact as my other cards including my sandisk 95mb/sec card. Is this something new with UHS-II and could this be the reason some UHS-II cards are slower than some of the USH-I cards?

What I am thinking is the that they are relying on a card reader than will take advantage of these extra contacts to get higher speeds and do not perform as well in the UHS-I reader on the NX1 and NX500. I honestly have no idea tho. Card write speeds has never been and issue for me.

16 minutes ago, outerbeat said:

Well, IDK yet dependences between real record algorithms in NX1 and any of tested parameters, maybe I'm totally wrong, but for me it seems that random 4kb write tests shows far more consistent results to actual allowed bitrate, than vendors "write speed ABC Mb\s". It is just theory proof test, I might be totally wrong on that.

But again, vendors write speeds is total BS for NX1 4K record imho. Maybe it is a NX1 thing, yes, but Blackmagic's document actually provides some proof of that not only NX1 have this troubles.

I see, you could try with this tool https://www.attotech.com/disk-benchmark/ and check if you see a pattern. There must be a block size used while writing files that could explain the "slow" speeds.

14 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

nx1 is uhs-ii bro @MountneerMan

I have same card and using 180Mbit/s bitrate without any problem (even my Sandisk Extrem Pro UHS-I can handle it).

Just try format you card in NX1. Formatting card in PC with biggest cluster size caused me also "slow card" messages when using same bitrate.

31 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Seems as if the codec sometimes will exceed the 160mbps

Maybe it's not about exact 160, maybe it's, say, 158 - OK, and 159 - is not OK, so it's not codec issue, but more speed limits

8 minutes ago, sandro said:

I see, you could try with this toll https://www.attotech.com/disk-benchmark/ and this if you see a pattern. There must be a block size used while writing files that could explain the "slow" speeds.

Thanks, man, I will try this, but brand new Kingston that failed me is already moneyback'ed :)

6 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

I have same card and using 180Mbit/s bitrate without any problem (even my Sandisk Extrem Pro UHS-I can handle it).

Just try format you card in NX1. Formatting card in PC with biggest cluster size caused me also "slow card" messages when using same bitrate.

It is very true, I've tested enough to say all of my cards been formatted in NX1 and in PC, and in PC they all been formatted in all of the block sizes. It's actually a huge test yep. I can say that you can easily format sd-card in PC, just use "standart block size" option, I think NX1 do the same, but slill, better do format in NX1

5 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

will try that and I will also push the bitrate to 180 and see what results I get. I'm praying it works flawlessly cause I have a paid gig I wanna use this on ! Felt like a new camera when I looked at the files man

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

will try that and I will also push the bitrate to 180 and see what results I get. I'm praying it works flawlessly cause I have a paid gig I wanna use this on ! Felt like a new camera when I looked at the files man

Hope it helps - BTW I have never had 3-4s delay after pressing stop (record) button - camera behaves like without hack - only start is slow (it freezes when BT is starting - after around 8-14 second after startup of camera) and turning off takes a while (which does not bother me). I really do not know why it is OK in my NX1...

1 minute ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Hope it helps - BTW I have never had 3-4s delay after pressing stop (record) button - camera behaves like without hack - only start is slow (it freezes when BT is starting - after around 8-14 second after startup of camera) and turning off takes a while (which does not bother me). I really do not know why it is OK in my NX1...

I am going to try and totally factory reset the settings on my camera and see what happens

9 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I am going to try and totally factory reset the settings on my camera and see what happens

One more thing (I really do not know if it can make any difference) - I have played with this hidden menu in past and checked "disable movie record limit".  But I doubt it would affect anything, but who knows... http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3979382

26 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

But I doubt it would affect anything

At first I'm actually was going to disagree with you, but then I'm remembered that I did exactly the same at one moment - disable record limit, and only after this I did try new bitrate parameters, increasing from 160 to 190 on my Sandisk. So... right now I run DEV mode and enable record limit back. Testing video... Records two files without errorrs, three files more than 1 minute lenght, - it is all ok with 190 mbps bitrate hack.

So, it might worth trying to disable record limit in DEV menu :)

29 minutes ago, Soul-Brother said:

Hi outerbeat, what makes you think the lexar is not such a good option ?

Hi Soul-Brother. Well, first of all, I am talking only about usage some of sd-cards while running bitrate hack for NX1 cameras. It increases bitrate up to enormous 320 mbps, which can't be operate at any of sd-cards, no matter UHS-II or not. And according to that table in Blackmagics "sd card speed" document, which I've posted earlier, the brand new Lexar one is not good for record with such a high bitrates. Still, it can be useful for usual "PRO" bitrate in NX1, but I have zero experience on this, sorry.