Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

I thought it was said that 160 was the max for HEVC 

There is no real hard limit to the bitrate of HEVC. Yes there is a maximum rate specified for each "level" of the standard, but that has nothing to do with the actual codec. What it really means is that all compatible HEVC decoders need to be able to decode at least 160mbit/s to meet the level 5.1 standard. That way any video that meets those specifications will play on any compliant decoder. It's a completely arbitrary number. No sane HEVC encoder cares about that part of the standard. It will happily spit out bits as fast as its algorithm and clock rate can keep up. The actual limit for a given piece of hardware or software depends on many things, but it almost certainly isn't exactly 160mbit/s. I hope that makes sense.

17 hours ago, hini said:

@SMGJohn Thank you I need try Android. Maybe it is IOS NX500 related.

It could be, I do not see any reasons for having the RAW on the phone so I have not used it for the NX500 but I have used it on the NX1 multiple times and it gives me JPEG's and RAW which is what I set it for, but it just waste space for me so I only keep JPEG's on the phone in case I must send it.

Do your iPhone use NFC? I always connected via NFC perhaps using Bluetooth could cause the issue? 

6 hours ago, Syme said:

There is no real hard limit to the bitrate of HEVC. Yes there is a maximum rate specified for each "level" of the standard, but that has nothing to do with the actual codec. What it really means is that all compatible HEVC decoders need to be able to decode at least 160mbit/s to meet the level 5.1 standard. That way any video that meets those specifications will play on any compliant decoder. It's a completely arbitrary number. No sane HEVC encoder cares about that part of the standard. It will happily spit out bits as fast as its algorithm and clock rate can keep up. The actual limit for a given piece of hardware or software depends on many things, but it almost certainly isn't exactly 160mbit/s. I hope that makes sense.

I get that but is a higher bitrate the only answer for eliminating macroblocking? Pardon my ignorance on this.  Could something along the lines of creating a real log profile for the camera be more beneficial to the overall image quality?

5 hours ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

I get that but is a higher bitrate the only answer for eliminating macroblocking? Pardon my ignorance on this.  Could something along the lines of creating a real log profile for the camera be more beneficial to the overall image quality?

I don't know. It's probably somewhat subjective what would be best for overall image quality. I'm not sure what a real log profile would do to macroblocking. The best settings for real usage will have to be determined by people actually using the camera.

12 hours ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

I get that but is a higher bitrate the only answer for eliminating macroblocking? Pardon my ignorance on this.  

I did the test shooting with and without bitrate hack to see if it helps to eliminate macroblocking. Yes, it goes in right direction, but not there yet, and not because of hack itself it's only about sd-cards speed limits. We can use 150-190 mbps at the time, there is no SD card which can provide more. Yet.

But still, it is a big progress. Even at 160 mbps there is a detectable visual upgrade compares to 80 mbps, but you need to know where to search. I think it's about CTU in HEVC, at larger bitrates codec is not eliminate macroblocks in picture per se, but replaces them with Coding Tree Units more efficiently than with smaller bitrates. At some point in post processing you can see when there's large blocks occur in 80 mbps file, but in 160 mbps file - only a "three" somewhat like "fractal blocks" of much smaller blocks. H265 use CTU for replacing macroblocks. So, overall quality is improve with bitrate hack, but macroblocking is not eliminated completely.

Here is the test results, two heavily destructed sequences for more visual reference, left side - 150 mbps source, right side - 80 mbps source. Both sources recorded in UHD@30 with identical setting and environment, only difference is the bitrate. Scale around 300% for better proof and to eliminate influence of export bitrate.

Forgot to mention that I did the test with NX1

12 hours ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

Could something along the lines of creating a real log profile for the camera be more beneficial to the overall image quality?

It depends of scene that you shooting. Some scenes can't be record with small bitrate without macroblocking at all, they even close to crash with high bitrate option, but it works in far more cases than I did imagine before I start to use bitrate hack. Now I shoot only with it, but of course, if there new options appears, I'm ready to consider them in work.

Also you can shoot with pretty much close to LOG settings and even create special NX LUTs for standart situations for exact yours setup. Basically you just need a few hours and some color checker for starters :)

And yes, I'm also wants the real log profile and 10 or 12 bit color, for shure! But really I think that bitrate hack is just a first step in better overall quality path, bc without it I highly doubt that only 10bit color itself did all the work, like, how about beautiful 4K picture with 10bit color but H-U-G-E one helluva macroblock in the center of frame, like 480p-block? It might be the case very easily :) 

7 hours ago, outerbeat said:

So, overall quality is improve with bitrate hack, but macroblocking is not eliminated completely.

As it was said before on dpreview - removing NR could also help with macroblocking. Plain areas where are now macroblocks (yes, they are much less visible and footage is much better for grading with bitrate hack) would be divided because of noise grains. It seems that there is some progress in dpreview so hopefully one day...  

3 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

As it was said before on dpreview - removing NR could also help with macroblocking. Plain areas where are now macroblocks (yes, they are much less visible and footage is much better for grading with bitrate hack) would be divided because of noise grains. It seems that there is some progress in dpreview so hopefully one day...  

Yes, I agree, removing NR could help to reduce MB, but it's also very depends. To be clear HEVC actually doesn't use MB at all, this codec have new feature - CTU, and this one goes far more then usual MB. Maybe, just maybe, NR is better for HEVC. because of basic structure and size of single block, which can be just 4x4 px and grouped in "trees" - variable larger block structures up to 64x64 px, so It is actually might increase visual noise when it "smoothing" single noise pixel by 4x4 single prediction or transform block when NR is removed. Actually this Kino Seed's nx500 2,5K footage without NR seems to be slightly affected by this, but I can't tell that I'm 100% shure of this, it's just might be

To be clear I don't know this for real and I know nothing actually about videocoding in terms of programming but I'm trying to use my very little knowledge to explain this things that my eyes seeng at least for myself )) Don't take my word on it, do test yourself or use mine - actually there is clear difference between block structure between 80 and 150 mbps footages

43 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Pavel MaÅ¡ek you've noticed an improvement in image quality with the bitrate hack ?

Yes, indeed - just check NX1/NX500 Hack video thread here.

You can push shadows far more, image is slightly more detailed in darker parts... I will not come back to 80Mbit anyway :-). Bad thing is that  biggest difference is in 1080p modes but safest useable working bitrate has to be lower for them:

4K30p- 180Mbits, no issues (I have recorded more than 30 minutes timelapse with it), the highest bitrate I can safely use... but depends on the card

1080p60fps - 180Mbits - no dropped frames and really beautiful image BUT there are sometimes weirdly corrupted frames, so best bitrate for me for this mode is 140Mbits (I have not seen any issue so far, but I am not 100% sure)

1080p120fps - I have got some dropped frames even with 110Mbit so best would be obviously 100 Mbits but unfortunately there is no other free slot for custom bitrate: you can define you own bitrate for Pro and HQ but not for Normal (Vasile's bitrate hack 2.0). 

In summary: each resolution has it own max. bitrate so right now if want to use 1080p120fps I had to turn of the BT OFF and restart camera. Then all bitrates modes return back to factory settings. I personally prefer quality so I will rather use only superb 4K180Mbps and 60fps1080p140Mbits instead of sometimes mediocre 120fps80Mbits.

I can see macroblocking very rarely and it almost completely disappears after conversion to 16-235 (I know that some will not agree with it - loosing full luma range 0-255 just in sake of removing remaining macroblocking). 

6 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@Pavel MaÅ¡ek hmm how can I install this using the settings that you just reccomended ? I want to test it out before I use it on anything serious. and you are right about the luma range thing. I've been noticing a lot of detail when converting to 16-235 from 0-255

Biggest achievement in NX1 hacking and you have missed it? :-) Here it is  http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3989988 

14 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Yes, indeed - just check NX1/NX500 Hack video thread here.

You can push shadows far more, image is slightly more detailed in darker parts... I will not come back to 80Mbit anyway :-). Bad thing is that  biggest difference is in 1080p modes but safest useable working bitrate has to be lower for them:

4K30p- 180Mbits, no issues (I have recorded more than 30 minutes timelapse with it), the highest bitrate I can safely use... but depends on the card

1080p60fps - 180Mbits - no dropped frames and really beautiful image BUT there are sometimes weirdly corrupted frames, so best bitrate for me for this mode is 140Mbits (I have not seen any issue so far, but I am not 100% sure)

1080p120fps - I have got some dropped frames even with 110Mbit so best would be obviously 100 Mbits but unfortunately there is no other free slot for custom bitrate: you can define you own bitrate for Pro and HQ but not for Normal (Vasile's bitrate hack 2.0). 

In summary: each resolution has it own max. bitrate so right now if want to use 1080p120fps I had to turn of the BT OFF and restart camera. Then all bitrates modes return back to factory settings. I personally prefer quality so I will rather use only superb 4K180Mbps and 60fps1080p140Mbits instead of sometimes mediocre 120fps80Mbits.

I can see macroblocking very rarely and it almost completely disappears after conversion to 16-235 (I know that some will not agree with it - loosing full luma range 0-255 just in sake of removing remaining macroblocking). 

Ok did not realize more would be useful. Will keep this in mind.