Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Otto K said:

For people hoping that NX500 and NX1 have the same hardware, bad news, documented here https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/doc/NX1_NX500_hw_differences.md

TLDR - NX1 has more ove everything.

Have you quantified any differences in the SoC itself? Apart from different version numbers the only differences I see are in memory (separate chip), audio codec (separate chip), and other board-level differences. Unless it's due to a lack of memory, as far as I can tell we still have no idea if there is a hardware reason (apart from power consumption) for the 4k crop on the NX500.

Well, ASV is Adoptive Support Voltage and has 6 groups in NX1 (5 in NX500) so there's a complete group missing. Also, power delivery seems to be different even for two common blocks indicating probably different maximum power draw (frequency?). Such power constraints might be the reason for the crop.

Now, could we "overclock" it (or similar)? Who knows, but there still is the recording limit in place even when lifting "30 min tax" limitation (it's even present in 1080p60 at 25:00). I have done successive recordings with 4k for over an hour and it works without an issue but could cause issues in some corner cases.

The tricky thing is that we are examining what linux sees and it sees the same amount of RAM in both devices but the RAM difference is hidden from linux (and so might be the other IPs).

19 minutes ago, Otto K said:

Well, ASV is Adoptive Support Voltage and has 6 groups in NX1 (5 in NX500) so there's a complete group missing. Also, power delivery seems to be different even for two common blocks indicating probably different maximum power draw (frequency?). Such power constraints might be the reason for the crop.

The "ASV Group" number is referring to one of a number of possible binnings of the chip, not the number of different voltages being specified. Two chips can have different ASVs and perform exactly the same, just with slightly different voltages.

Take a look at http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/2

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
On 4/11/2016 at 2:46 AM, tugela said:

I don't believe that the NX1 has much sharpening applied (which IMO is just a debeyering parameter when done in camera anyway - not sharpening in the post-processing sense). The footage looks sharp most likely as a result of downsampling of the native image.

It looks to me like tons of post-captured digital sharpening. No idea whether they do it in debayer/post-debayer/encoding/gamma stage but it's just there, lots and lots of edge enhancement. 

7 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

It looks to me like tons of post-captured digital sharpening. No idea whether they do it in debayer/post-debayer/encoding/gamma stage but it's just there, lots and lots of edge enhancement. 

I don't see much. Perhaps you are confusing edges with edge enhancement?

If you are debeyering it seems to me that at any edge there are going to be artifacts associated with the fact that there is insufficient information to accurately reproduce reality. If  you prioritize luma information, you will see incorrect color at the edge, and if you prioritize chroma you will see incorrect resolution at the edge. Either way you will see an artifact. It will be present in all debeyered images no matter how you set up the debeyering (unless you deal strictly in greyscale).

The advantage of an oversampled sensor is that the radius of uncertainty is going to be that much smaller and the artifacts greatly reduced as a result, so the image you get will be more representative of reality than a sensor that is not oversampled.

2 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

I think that most everything they did with this camera was for their TV's.

Sharpening the image would be to give more of a WOW factor when watching home movies on their Samsung TV's. Being Samsung, I'm amazed that the NX1 is actually as good as it is. Most of what they do is pretty shite or else a sneaky copy of what Apple or some other company has already come up with. They are a shit company and they way they handle their camera business being a total failure is yet more proof.

The image does look overly sharp to me but still ... I love the camera.

37 minutes ago, Dean said:

I think that most everything they did with this camera was for their TV's.

Sharpening the image would be to give more of a WOW factor when watching home movies on their Samsung TV's. Being Samsung, I'm amazed that the NX1 is actually as good as it is. Most of what they do is pretty shite or else a sneaky copy of what Apple or some other company has already come up with. They are a shit company and they way they handle their camera business being a total failure is yet more proof.

The image does look overly sharp to me but still ... I love the camera.

I really don't want to start a debate about Samsung so I am going to just say that that is your opinion and my opinion is that samsung makes many fantastic products with leading edge technology.

I also believe your statement about "Most of what they do is pretty shite or a sneaky copy of X" could be said about almost every company that has ever existed including apple, Cannon, Panasonic, Black Magic, etc. They all copy each other and they all make alot of shity products that is what competition is all about.

4 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

I really don't want to start a debate about Samsung so I am going to just say that that is your opinion and my opinion is that samsung makes many fantastic products with leading edge technology.

I also believe your statement about "Most of what they do is pretty shite or a sneaky copy of X" could be said about almost every company that has ever existed including apple, Cannon, Panasonic, Black Magic, etc. They all copy each other and they all make alot of shity products that is what competition is all about.

All entitled to our own opinion.

16 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

I think this is impossible. There must be, somewhere, a 'step' where nr is introduced somehow. It could be done via a hw function, yes, but it has to be invoked by a sw call.

Not impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible. It could be built into the HEVC encoder, for instance.

1 hour ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

There's an option in the menu turn NR off for photos. Wouldn't that be a starting point to figure out how to do it for video? 

Yes but not necessarily the best. I like more the nrmenable st cap live parameter from here: https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/ST%20Commands.md

If I could find where it is set in di-camera-app I'd be in business.

3 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Syme: and impossible to turn off? As said, it COULD be implemented in hw, but I don't see a reason for it not to be 'off turnable'...

Yes, it could be impossible to turn off. The entire processing chain from sensor to H.265 bitstream could be done without any input from the software (except for selecting resolution and bitrate).

I would bet money that it is possible to turn off noise reduction, since Samsung would be more than a little bit crazy to do it like that. However without proof it is still possible however improbable it might be.

The NR is most likely a consequence of the downscaling of the oversampled data set, which would explain why noise suddenly pops up when you hit a certain ISO value. Below that value it gets averaged out, above that value the averaging is no longer effective.

OK, some advancements - namely a way to speed up applying mods as soon as the camera wakes up from sleep. See more here https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/doc/Boot_Process_and_Speeding_up_Mods.md

Also, a small poll and explanation:

If you don't want to do it from telnet, wait a few days, there will be a nicer, more automated way to do it.

If you are starting other things (bitrate hacks, whatever) - please do check if they are running already. You can use keyscan as test as it will return 0 only if it's not already running, like this /opt/usr/devel/bin/keyscan /dev/event0 /dev/event1 /opt/usr/devel/bin/ && my_program

Just to make things clear - it's not modifying the firmware.I have no intention to mess with firmware as I have no easy way to repair my camera.

We slightly tweak the "read only" rootfs (like we already do for BT hack - we just change a single line in script) and move our scripts from SD card to internal filesystem - the one mounted under /opt as "read write" by default. It's not going to brick a camera, I have even put a swap file to extend RAM on that filesystem and everything worked.

NB, I have been using and testing this for two days now - no side effects.

The main difference is that right now, when you pop out the SD card with mods and put in a clean one - your camera acts as if it was neved modded. With this it would be modded even without a SD card (ie, it would be modded with every SD card).

All modifications are fully reversible and would be reversible from aforementioned utility.

So, a small poll - do you want me to make an installer that will install mods to the camera internally in order to work faster?

Hi Guys, Just wanted to give a thanks to Otto/Vasile and everyone who is working on these NX1 Hacks.

Been watching this thread for the last couple of weeks eagerly awaiting a fix for the recording limit bug, possible 240fps and this NR business.

I didn't want to just be another person sitting here patiently waiting without even saying thanks, so nice one guys! :thumbsup: