Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, vasile said:

How To - recording limit - NX500 and NX1

YOUR WARRANTY IS NOW VOID.

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57446101

What else is in this DEV menu?

Care to take some screen shots and upload? 

Also on behalf of everyone thank you your hard work is much appreciated.

So, for NX500 the partition layout is as follows (/etc/parttable):

[root@drime5 ~]£ cat /etc/parttab
nx500 partition table
<vol>       <dev>       <size(M)>        <image>  <order> <compress>  <fs>  <mkfs-option>  <mount-point>

adj           /dev/mmcblk0p1     20             none   1    None        raw
rtos          /dev/mmcblk0p7     30          rom.bin   2    None        raw
rtos_data     /dev/mmcblk0p8     50             none   3    None        raw
extended     /dev/mmcblk0p4      0             none   4    None        raw
platform      /dev/mmcblk0p10  1024       rootfs.img   5    LZO        ext4
opt           /dev/mmcblk0p11   100          opt.img   6    LZO        ext4      -j              /opt
pref          /dev/mmcblk0p2     10             none   7    None        raw
pref_default  /dev/mmcblk0p3     30 pref_default.bin   8    None        raw
pref_recovery /dev/mmcblk0p5     20             none   9    None        raw
opt-usr       /dev/mmcblk0p14     0             none  10    None       ext4      -j              /opt/usr
rImage        /dev/mmcblk0p13    10           rImage  11    None        raw
pcache        /dev/mmcblk0p12     5      pcache.list  12    None        raw
devicem4      /dev/mmcblk0boot1   4     devicem4.bin  13    None        raw
snapshot      /dev/mmcblk0p9    100     snapshot.img  14    LZO         raw
uImage        /dev/mmcblk0p6     10           uImage  15    None        raw
bootloader    /dev/mmcblk0boot0   4   bootloader.bin  16    None        raw

There also seems to be some provision for different gammas in video, as well as luminance settings but I don't see any difference. Changes do not survive reboot.
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 118 0x00760000
UserData is set
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm getusr 118           
UserData is MOVIE_GAMMA_CONTROL_STANDARD (0x760000)
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 118 0x00760001
UserData is set
UserData is MOVIE_GAMMA_CONTROL_GAMMA_V (0x760001)
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 118 0x00760002
UserData is set
UserData is MOVIE_GAMMA_CONTROL_GAMMA_D (0x760002)
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 119 0x00770000
UserData is set
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm getusr 119           
UserData is MOVIE_LUMINANCE_LEVEL_0_255 (0x770000)
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 119 0x00770001
UserData is set
UserData is MOVIE_LUMINANCE_LEVEL_16_235 (0x770001)
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 119 0x00770002
UserData is set
UserData is MOVIE_LUMINANCE_LEVEL_16_255 (0x770002)

7 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

What else is in this DEV menu?

Care to take some screen shots and upload?

Quite a few things and some of them downright dangerous.

I think I will let others post / discuss them [they are visible to anyone with a camera, no skill required to get to them], for the moment I prefer to concentrate on the word "bitrate" rather than on "screenshot" - if you get my drift :-)

• Administrators
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is almost kinda funny how slow the rumor sites can be with the news I have noticed. 

Well if it doesn't give them the hits, they're not interested. If this was a Nikon hack....

There's no accounting for taste I find.

4 hours ago, Jack Murdock said:

I think one of the most amazing things about the NX1 is how powerful it is. It's taking a 6.5k signal and downscaling that in real time.   Imagine the possibilities.  

You know what I would love to see?  I would love some super slow mo action at 1080, 720, etc.  If you take out the downscaling and just record to the buffer you should be able to record some limited, but very high speed footage.  Think about  it.. 6.5k gives you 18 times the amount of info that 720p does. If the NX1 can shoot at 120 fps at 1080, that would give you roughly 2000 fps at 720p.  And even more if you are willing to go down to 480p.  Now I know this would heat things up a little, bit but but just limit the recording to 5 seconds or something.    The NX1 can take 25 raw images which works out to quite a bit of footage at lower resolution. 

This could be on of the most revolutionary things to happen in cinematography.  The only other camera that gets anywhere near this is something that I stumbled across called the "edgertronic" thats still will run you around $5k.  People could get the ability to shoot in several thousands fps for under a grand.  Just think about it.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. The framerate is inversely proportional to the number of lines, not the number of pixels. Getting much more than 120fps in 1080p would require an entirely new image sensor. The reason is that all modern cameras (apart from some exotic high-end stuff) use "column parallel" sensors.

The best affordable high-speed camera at the moment is probably the crowd-funded fps1000, if it's actually shipping yet.

3 hours ago, tugela said:

More likely a limitation of the processor, not the sensor. The sensor does full reads at 240 fps.

Please quit saying that without any evidence. The processor does not limit the readout speed of each individual frame. The RAM in the NX1 is fast enough to store the data to be processed in way under 1/30 of a second (you can see the clock speeds for the RAM in the kernel source). It can do that in its sleep. Literally. According to the source code, the RAM is running at 400Mhz in sleep mode. There is no way it is de-bayering, scaling, and encoding the video line by line without putting it in a framebuffer first. Yes I know a Samsung representative said the sensor was really fast in an interview, but the official Samsung website says otherwise. Furthermore every third-party test indicates otherwise. The proportionality between rolling shutter and lines of resolution in all real world tests agrees with my estimates. The information in the firmware release notes is consistent with those limitations. Every other camera ever made works like that.

The only way the processor could determine the rolling shutter is if they forced the LVDS receivers on the main SoC to run at a fraction of the rate they could be run at. That would be spectacularly stupid, since there are much easier ways to cripple a camera. Even if they knew about the details of the camera's operation, I doubt Samsung executives would choose to limit the camera in such a dumb, arbitrary way.

Unless you actually have evidence, stop spreading misinformation. It's a waste of time to keep explaining this over and over.

7 minutes ago, Syme said:

Unfortunately that's not how it works. The framerate is inversely proportional to the number of lines, not the number of pixels. Getting much more than 120fps in 1080p would require an entirely new image sensor. The reason is that all modern cameras (apart from some exotic high-end stuff) use "column parallel" sensors.

The best affordable high-speed camera at the moment is probably the crowd-funded fps1000, if it's actually shipping yet.

Please quit saying that without any evidence. The processor does not limit the readout speed of each individual frame. The RAM in the NX1 is fast enough to store the data to be processed in way under 1/30 of a second (you can see the clock speeds for the RAM in the kernel source). It can do that in its sleep. Literally. According to the source code, the RAM is running at 400Mhz in sleep mode. There is no way it is de-bayering, scaling, and encoding the video line by line without putting it in a framebuffer first. Yes I know a Samsung representative said the sensor was really fast in an interview, but the official Samsung website says otherwise. Furthermore every third-party test indicates otherwise. The proportionality between rolling shutter and lines of resolution in all real world tests agrees with my estimates. The information in the firmware release notes is consistent with those limitations. Every other camera ever made works like that.

The only way the processor could determine the rolling shutter is if they forced the LVDS receivers on the main SoC to run at a fraction of the rate they could be run at. That would be spectacularly stupid, since there are much easier ways to cripple a camera. Even if they knew about the details of the camera's operation, I doubt Samsung executives would choose to limit the camera in such a dumb, arbitrary way.

Unless you actually have evidence, stop spreading misinformation. It's a waste of time to keep explaining this over and over.

You know more about the sensor than the Samsung developers do? Wow.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/09/27/photokina-interview-samsung-nx1-redefine-pro-performance-quantum-leap-tech

1 minute ago, SMGJohn said:

He's not a developer, he's a "Senior Marketing Manager."

If Samsung is like many other semiconductor and consumer electronics companies, I very well might.

Hey Otto, I was looking through your github profile and I saw that there were options for 98fps in 4k, 1080 and 720 (also 1080p240). Can you try enabling the 98fps? And also what is the 98? Not even a multiple of anything proper.

Hey @Otto K @Chant is there any reference to HDR video? That could be something that improves DR performance. Or perhaps we could create a hack for that.

I'm interested in working on this with you guys. I know C++, Java, JavaScript, but I don't know the first thing about hacking and looking at this firmware and writing the shell scripts (I also don't have an NX1 or 500). I looked at the NX cryptophotography link and the GitHub stuff and some others but it would be very beneficial if there was some type of guide so that I could understand the basics and learn a full foundation of what I should do to read the firmware info, write scripts, hack, etc.

Are there any solid resources that you recommend? Or would you be able to write some kind of guide?

Thanks,

Vaga

16 minutes ago, vasile said:

My plan is to see if I can replace Pro bitrate from 80 Mbps with something else, say 47 Mbps (my age  :)) for example, without otherwise touching the menu system or firmware internals. 

That would be great! But everyone here would probably appreciate if you would have more than 100 years :-D  (say 150Mbps would be nice).  But I understand, that was just an example.... 

9 hours ago, vaga said:

Hey Otto, I was looking through your github profile and I saw that there were options for 98fps in 4k, 1080 and 720 (also 1080p240). Can you try enabling the 98fps? And also what is the 98? Not even a multiple of anything proper.

If you look at the github closely it isn't 98fps it is 23.98fps options.

Simple "hack" to enable silent shooting in single mode (not CH/CN):

[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm getusr 117
UserData is ADJUSTSHUTTERTYPE_MECHA (0x750000)
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm setusr 117 0x00750001
UserData is set
[root@drime5 ~]£ st cap capdtm getusr 117
UserData is ADJUSTSHUTTERTYPE_ROLLING (0x750001)

ROLLING is full electronic shutter :)

Now, why Samsung did not enable this in the menu I have no idea... It's fully working in full resolution JPEGs and SRW files.

I have not time to test whether image quality suffers, but it looks OK to me :)

Could someone check if it works with NX1 as well?

Cheers and have fun,

Otto

2 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

That would be great! But everyone here would probably appreciate if you would have more than 100 years :-D  (say 150Mbps would be nice).  But I understand, that was just an example.... 

a perfect example of being content with what one is given (or not being demanding).

If this goes on I will consider lowering the target bitrate...

:-)