Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

2 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Good idea, the angle could be:

Samsung abandons their loyal nx1 customers, but a community tries to keep the future of the camera alive.

Thats funny. I think you were trying to trol but that is actually the angle i was thinking. 

The article would talk about how exactly samsung has abandoned their camera system yet dispite this their cameras are/were so good that people continue to use them and that people are even able to improve them. The article would also talk about how easy people are finding them to hack and how much potential these dead cameras have. 

My hope is to draw in more people to hacking these cameras to help unlock things like higher bitrates and removing the recording limit. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It doesn't sound like it is easy to hack them, but clearly there is great untapped potential in the cameras.

It is too bad that Samsung themselves could not have enabled some of these features when they were developing the cameras. I guess if they had stayed in the market many of these things would have come in firmware updates.

2 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

Thats funny. I think you were trying to trol but that is actually the angle i was thinking. 

The article would talk about how exactly samsung has abandoned their camera system yet dispite this their cameras are/were so good that people continue to use them and that people are even able to improve them. The article would also talk about how easy people are finding them to hack and how much potential these dead cameras have. 

My hope is to draw in more people to hacking these cameras to help unlock things like higher bitrates and removing the recording limit. 

hmm I think i'll write one too along side a dedicated review when I relaunch my site. It would be nice to have reviews reflecting all of our collective findings since the 1.40 update. I will be shooting all of my personal projects with the nx1. Hope our efforts will help draw in some more attention towards the camera

3 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

Not at all, didn't mean for it to come across that way. The more people get involved the better our chances.

On 12/03/2016 at 11:22 AM, Chant said:

I believe I have found the sdk for the srp. And quite a few examples of the c scripting style used before it is parsed into the machine state and binary. Working backwards it should be possible to figure out how it is compiled and explore what lies inside the system. It seems similar to an fpga so it shouldnt be very hard to dissect. Things that can be added over just changing the config files. Will update as I go. Keeping these updates short as I have a lot to do with making sure I fully understand the inner workings of this system.

http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3978776

Please let me know if you want the NX1 and NX500 encoder and decoder .bin files.

On 13/03/2016 at 11:08 AM, Syme said:

Has anyone actually found where and how the SRP is used in the NX1 firmware? It would be a shame to spend a bunch of time learning how it is programmed only to find out that it's just something like an audio processor as in the Exynos SoCs the DRIMe-5 is based on. Seems to me like there's a pretty good chance Samsung just used the fast dedicated 4k HEVC encoder they were already developing for their cell phones. Their video encoders are famous for their efficiency, so if they were done with the design of their HEVC codec in time the smart choice would be to use less flexible hardware for the sake of battery life and heat.

I really hope it is being used for video encoding, since that would open the door to much more significant modifications (with a massive reverse-engineering and digital design effort). However I think the prudent first step is to figure out exactly what all it is doing in the camera. That's what I will be attempting to do once I have some time.

not sure if that is the srp compiled code but I'd say yes with 80+% probability.

http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3978776

On 13. 3. 2016 at 2:41 PM, Chant said:

The code excerpts I posted are from the firmware. The statement about the camera being able to do 240fps is something they didnt remove. Also found a bunch of tizen watch stuff. Bad housekeeping is good news.

But I have yet to find a video output path that is concise. Tons of data on the hevc and everything else, but its what pointed me to the srp and needing to do more research. There way a camera would dump data to an onboard hevc is pretty well documented. Follow the mipi csi-2 bridge a few steps to get to the encoder. but the difference is, if it was indeed just a "hard" core hevc in the drime-v it would be more self contained. Taking what I know of chip construction and "hard" core asic  implementation. The more I do the more I find on how it works and what can be done.

Chant, could you please share the SDK? I think we could add it to github ( https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500 ). One place to show actual progress and results of NX1 hacking would be nice (SD sripts hacks/ firmware hacking).

6 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

I sent the news to both photorumors and mirrorlessrumors, but neither of those published it. Probably this is too 'certain' for those sites.

I was thinking about more reputable sources like ESOHD ;)

Actually it would be nice for it to go up on some sites like gizmodo or techradar. Places where people tend to be hackers/programmers first with a passion for film oppose to here where I feel like most people are cinematographers who have a passion for tech second.

8 hours ago, tugela said:

It doesn't sound like it is easy to hack them, but clearly there is great untapped potential in the cameras.

It is too bad that Samsung themselves could not have enabled some of these features when they were developing the cameras. I guess if they had stayed in the market many of these things would have come in firmware updates.

Agreed I might have got a liltle excited to say it is easy to "hack". But the fact it will run Linux scripts from the SD card for things like focus stacking is really easy.

Now that it's a sticky, I'm worried that people are not seeing this thread. I missed it this morning. I went two pages in, didn't see it. Worried it was deleted.

Has this topic gone 6 hours without a post in recent memory?

11 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Chant, could you please share the SDK? I think we could add it to github ( https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500 ). One place to show actual progress and results of NX1 hacking would be nice (SD sripts hacks/ firmware hacking).

Its not the sdk for tizen sorry to say, but the sdk for the srp or so it seems to be. I havnt tested anything yet and its not something that would be of use to anyone unless they are at the point I am. If I do come across the tizen sdk I will post it for sure. The version the camera runs is older than the newest version, I have yet to have a deep look at what they have online, to see if it contains resources for the camera that are just not enabled though. As they dont do much house cleaning code wise. who knows what they left behind. Also the major update of firmware 1.23 might have some internal tizen info but I havnt started on analyzing everything yet so Im not sure what they did.

WOW, I have just received email from SAMSUNG to download link to NX1 SDK!

(well I am quite scared to upload it somewhere, but I think I will do it). I will try to download it in the evening and let you know.

Chant, is it the one you have? Do you think it will be useful? I am not any IT expert, so I really do not know...

Dear Customer

Thank you for requesting an NX1 SDK.

Unauthorized distribution of the SDK may be unlawful.

You are not authorized to upload, copy, or redistribute the SDK in any way.

Click the link below. After input your E-mail address which you used for SDK request,

you can download SDK.

Contents:

• Sample Source: Sample source codes are provided for your reference.

(Tool : Visual Studio 2010 recommended.)

• SDK User Manual: This document contains general information of SDK API and user instructions for the SDK.

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

WOW, I have just received email from SAMSUNG to download link to NX1 SDK!

(well I am quite scared to upload it somewhere, but I think I will do it). I will try to download it in the evening and let you know.

Chant, is it the one you have? Do you think it will be useful? I am not any IT expert, so I really do not know...

Dear Customer

Thank you for requesting an NX1 SDK.

Unauthorized distribution of the SDK may be unlawful.

You are not authorized to upload, copy, or redistribute the SDK in any way.

Click the link below. After input your E-mail address which you used for SDK request,

you can download SDK.

Contents:

• Sample Source: Sample source codes are provided for your reference.

(Tool : Visual Studio 2010 recommended.)

• SDK User Manual: This document contains general information of SDK API and user instructions for the SDK.

Thank you.

Sent you a message regarding this