Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

13 minutes ago, Syme said:

Seems to me like there's a pretty good chance Samsung just used the fast dedicated 4k HEVC encoder they were already developing for their cell phones.

I would also assume it uses dedicated chip for HEVC encoding.

On 3/7/2016 at 3:20 AM, Chant said:

page 3 main pcb shows the full sd slot.
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=2394050

Higher resolution photos would help to identify at least some of the chips.

12 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Thanks, still looking for NX1 bottom connector.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/3/2016 at 9:56 AM, sandro said:
8 minutes ago, sidi said:
14 hours ago, Chant said:

There has been a few stating that they would like to tip/donate, which would of course be muchhelp,, as I seem to be doing this more than my 9-5 haha! But it is not at a quantifiable stage at the moment, What I have found out is pretty much just a key, and if the key can open the lock is not yet determined. Even with the sdk things of this nature are not 100% 

At any step of the way if they did something undocumented it can halt progress to a point the modification cant be done. Ive been lucky so far with things is all!

But if knowing that what Im doing may not bring a firmware mod to light people still wish to donate then I can put something together. But I started this not knowing there was anyone wanting this camera modded, and I would still do this if no one wanted to tip/donate.

That being said the next stages of what I am doing are copious research. There are white paper behind paywalls but my local university seems to have most of the books on file so I will be acquiring those to get a better idea of the way samsung chose to code.

Personally I am also interested in the lens mount for a working adapter to other lens systems. So the control files are something I am also looking into. As well as if hevc is the best choice for encoding or if something like the redcoderaw would be more suitable which is just their modded version of mjpeg2000. dct vs wavelet is something interesting to read about. 

The samsung srp research is also to see if thats what they used, but it it was an onboard hevc asic there would be a lot less code for what Im finding if you go by what tends to control hardware. With luck its srp because Ive found examples of it beings used to do a full 8k6p stream with a very small srp block and the drime-v is a very different beast from the exynos.

But ill just leave these excerpts here. ;)

"eSensorModeRollingStillModeOff
eSensorModeRollingStillModeOn
eSensorModePanoramaFull"

"30CBayerImageInformationLiveview
34CBayerImageInformationLiveviewWide
36CBayerImageInformationLiveview120fps
36CBayerImageInformationLiveview240fps"

"LVIEW_PP_CORE_UD
LVIEW_PP_CORE_UD_24FPS
LVIEW_PP_CORE_120FPS
LVIEW_PP_CORE_240FPS"

"eFrameRate24fps
eFrameRate25fps
eFrameRate30fps
eFrameRate33_3fps
eFrameRate40fps
eFrameRate50fps
eFrameRate60fps
eFrameRate100fps
eFrameRate120fps
eFrameRate200fps
eFrameRate240fps"

"binningoff
HVbinningon
Hbinningon
Vbinningon"

The code excerpts I posted are from the firmware. The statement about the camera being able to do 240fps is something they didnt remove. Also found a bunch of tizen watch stuff. Bad housekeeping is good news.

But I have yet to find a video output path that is concise. Tons of data on the hevc and everything else, but its what pointed me to the srp and needing to do more research. There way a camera would dump data to an onboard hevc is pretty well documented. Follow the mipi csi-2 bridge a few steps to get to the encoder. but the difference is, if it was indeed just a "hard" core hevc in the drime-v it would be more self contained. Taking what I know of chip construction and "hard" core asic  implementation. The more I do the more I find on how it works and what can be done.

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

Chant: Not sure if I understand. You mean that if nx1 has this programmable chip, it could be able to output at 240fps? Doesn't this depend also on the sensor?

You mean the one for the grip?

That's the one.

6 hours ago, hirsti said:

Here is a quick video showing the NX1 and NX500 SD Card Hack for Focus Buttons.

This program allows you to record up to 6 focal points, these are stored on the SD card and will work after a camera restart.

This works for photography, especially good for storing infinity focal point to re-use when it is dark for Astro Photography.

Works in video allows you to do focus pulling from one focal point to another.

Thanks again to Otto for all the hard work, All details can be found on https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500

This is an amazing advancement for 1-person shooters. Any chance it could work via wifi and the remote app?

6 hours ago, hirsti said:

Here is a quick video showing the NX1 and NX500 SD Card Hack for Focus Buttons.

This program allows you to record up to 6 focal points, these are stored on the SD card and will work after a camera restart.

This works for photography, especially good for storing infinity focal point to re-use when it is dark for Astro Photography.

Works in video allows you to do focus pulling from one focal point to another.

Thanks again to Otto for all the hard work, All details can be found on https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500

In certain focus pulling situations this will be incredibly useful. Thanks Otto! Great to see continued work on this project.