Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 31/1/2016 at 6:05 PM, kidzrevil said:

the debut of the Samsung NX1 they showed the world that a new challenger has entered the 4k market. The specs spoke for itself and the stunning resolution & color reproduction spoke even louder. The camera did have a rough start but quickly addressed the issues with constant firmware updates. Image quality aside the most revolutionary feature of the camera is the Tizen OS. Samsung has releases the open source code to the NX line of cameras to the public and rumor is they have reached out to the Magic Lantern developers. This is great news for many reasons. 

1) this is the first time I have seen a camera manufacturer openly embrace the hacker community. The same community that has made Canon cameras so popular in the video arena and has pushed the GH2 into new heights.

2) this could inspire other manufacturers such as Panasonic, Canon, Sony & Fuji to release the open source codes to their future camera bodies

3) if a hack for the NX1 & NX500 were to go live we can see a tremendous increase in image quality and yet another tool to capture stunning images on a budget in a professional environment.

More than anything for an NX1 hack we need to double the existing bitrates. The camera supports high speed SD cards (SDXC UHS-II/U3 @300mbs) so it would make sense to increase the bitrate by at least double to avoid/eliminate macro blocking in the shadows and at high frame rates. Last but not least completely disabling in camera sharpening and noise reduction will help rid us of the electronic look. 

I as well as many other Samsung users on EOSHD and other forums would love to see this hack go live. If you feel the same and in the future will not have a problem with helping us crowd fund the project simply comment with : "+1". 
The more support we get the more likely this is to happen.

Please do not comment with why this shouldn't or couldn't happen. This is not what this thread is for. It is a show of support for a hack. Thank you for your time ! 

The Lexar sd card Professional 2000x UHS-II U3, can write 265mbs!

1 hour ago, lucabutera said:

The Lexar sd card Professional 2000x UHS-II U3, can write 265mbs!

Thats fine. The max speed of UHS-II is 300mbps. Didn't care to mention the lexar as their speed is manufacturer specific and doesn't reflect the max potential of the Uhs-II / U3 technology 

so i signed up just for this. i'm so happy to hear there's something going on with this piece of future :grin:
thank you so much Chant for trying to unleash the full potential of this thing. you have my full support!
hopefully this leads to something so we could all be happy.

custom 4k/60fps... that's what i'm dreaming of :)

3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Thats fine. The max speed of UHS-II is 300mbps. Didn't care to mention the lexar as their speed is manufacturer specific and doesn't reflect the max potential of the Uhs-II / U3 technology 

Max speed is 300 MB/s, not 300 mbps. 300MB/s is 2400 mbps.

On 1/31/2016 at 5:05 PM, kidzrevil said:

the debut of the Samsung NX1 they showed the world that a new challenger has entered the 4k market. The specs spoke for itself and the stunning resolution & color reproduction spoke even louder. The camera did have a rough start but quickly addressed the issues with constant firmware updates. Image quality aside the most revolutionary feature of the camera is the Tizen OS. Samsung has releases the open source code to the NX line of cameras to the public and rumor is they have reached out to the Magic Lantern developers. This is great news for many reasons. 

1) this is the first time I have seen a camera manufacturer openly embrace the hacker community. The same community that has made Canon cameras so popular in the video arena and has pushed the GH2 into new heights.

2) this could inspire other manufacturers such as Panasonic, Canon, Sony & Fuji to release the open source codes to their future camera bodies

3) if a hack for the NX1 & NX500 were to go live we can see a tremendous increase in image quality and yet another tool to capture stunning images on a budget in a professional environment.

More than anything for an NX1 hack we need to double the existing bitrates. The camera supports high speed SD cards (SDXC UHS-II/U3 @300mbs) so it would make sense to increase the bitrate by at least double to avoid/eliminate macro blocking in the shadows and at high frame rates. Last but not least completely disabling in camera sharpening and noise reduction will help rid us of the electronic look. 

I as well as many other Samsung users on EOSHD and other forums would love to see this hack go live. If you feel the same and in the future will not have a problem with helping us crowd fund the project simply comment with : "+1". 
The more support we get the more likely this is to happen.

Please do not comment with why this shouldn't or couldn't happen. This is not what this thread is for. It is a show of support for a hack. Thank you for your time ! 

link please to open source code for the OS.  I doubt there is any public sharing by Samsung.

There has been a few stating that they would like to tip/donate, which would of course be muchhelp,, as I seem to be doing this more than my 9-5 haha! But it is not at a quantifiable stage at the moment, What I have found out is pretty much just a key, and if the key can open the lock is not yet determined. Even with the sdk things of this nature are not 100% 

At any step of the way if they did something undocumented it can halt progress to a point the modification cant be done. Ive been lucky so far with things is all!

But if knowing that what Im doing may not bring a firmware mod to light people still wish to donate then I can put something together. But I started this not knowing there was anyone wanting this camera modded, and I would still do this if no one wanted to tip/donate.

That being said the next stages of what I am doing are copious research. There are white paper behind paywalls but my local university seems to have most of the books on file so I will be acquiring those to get a better idea of the way samsung chose to code.

Personally I am also interested in the lens mount for a working adapter to other lens systems. So the control files are something I am also looking into. As well as if hevc is the best choice for encoding or if something like the redcoderaw would be more suitable which is just their modded version of mjpeg2000. dct vs wavelet is something interesting to read about. 

16 minutes ago, Chant said:

Personally I am also interested in the lens mount for a working adapter to other lens systems

I'm more of a hw guy myself and I was wondering did anyone happen to have NX1 bottom connector pinout?

Not sure if there is something helpfull but I've stubled upon Samsung Open Source Conference 2015 website with some PP presentations http://www.soscon.net/program.asp

22 hours ago, Chant said:

I believe I have found the sdk for the srp. And quite a few examples of the c scripting style used before it is parsed into the machine state and binary. Working backwards it should be possible to figure out how it is compiled and explore what lies inside the system. It seems similar to an fpga so it shouldnt be very hard to dissect. Things that can be added over just changing the config files. Will update as I go. Keeping these updates short as I have a lot to do with making sure I fully understand the inner workings of this system.

Could you please share this SDK with others? Maybe someone else would like to help with it.

Has anyone actually found where and how the SRP is used in the NX1 firmware? It would be a shame to spend a bunch of time learning how it is programmed only to find out that it's just something like an audio processor as in the Exynos SoCs the DRIMe-5 is based on. Seems to me like there's a pretty good chance Samsung just used the fast dedicated 4k HEVC encoder they were already developing for their cell phones. Their video encoders are famous for their efficiency, so if they were done with the design of their HEVC codec in time the smart choice would be to use less flexible hardware for the sake of battery life and heat.

I really hope it is being used for video encoding, since that would open the door to much more significant modifications (with a massive reverse-engineering and digital design effort). However I think the prudent first step is to figure out exactly what all it is doing in the camera. That's what I will be attempting to do once I have some time.