Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

8 hours ago, nougat said:
  1. Higher bit rate recording for 4K and 1080p (160 Mbps+)
  2. Higher frame rates (4K/60 fps, 1080p/240 fps)
  3. 2K recording mode and/or 4K crop mode similar to NX500
  4. Ability to turn off noise reduction completely

THIS is what is reasonable to expect.

The bit-rate increase will make the SINGLE BIGGEST improvement because it will solve virtually ALL of the IMAGE QUALITY issues the NX1 has.
While 160 Mbps will be wonderful going as high as 220 or 260 in 4K will be even better.
Even the noise reduction problems will nearly vanish when it has this much data to work with.

These will be able to be implemented once someone figures out which line in the code is passing the values into the "current camera state", and can figure out how to write it into a new firmware file that can be loaded into the camera in its normal manner. There will probably be no "evidence" that you have changed anything - until you look at the new recorded files themselves. 
Some folks are making good progress with the publicly available Developer's Kit, but I suspect that may not pan out because Samsung never intended it to be used that way. We can hope they screwed up and left a door open, but they probably didn't. 

ALL the other requests are unlikely to ever happen because they would require a hack and probably an entirely new GUI all happening at the radically more advanced level of something like the Magic Lantern hack, which is unequaled by any other camera hacks yet done.

Double or triple that bit-rate and all the current image quality issues will be gone.

Find a way to pipe out RAW and you'll get the whole world's attention. I guarantee it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, sidi said:

Would love to see unlimited video recording maybe with file spanning every 29:59

This should be do-able from a very simple hack.
It's really just a matter of removing a flag.
But at higher bit-rates, issues with the buffer and data pathway speeds can often make spanning not possible.

1 hour ago, Chant said:

The list of additions are interesting, I have to admit the focus will be on video and all other aspects will be secondary.

Found a few things. DRIMe-V clock rate seems to be 200mhz. And that seems.. low. Im expecting an NX1 in the next few weeks, so that is one thing I will test. May have to do some heat dissipation help, but from other things I have found in the fw that should be able to be pushed. If things are on the level of the sony a7(s) line up with their over heating issues I think a tad below that will suffice. The upper limit should be 700mhz+ But erring on the safe side will always be more logical.

**Edit** In additon to that finding, I will have to track the changes to see if they upped the clock rate in the later fw. I am working in the first revision as that has the largest file size, so I assumed it would have the most debug changes from the 1.0 layout, with the other firmwares focusing more on updates and camera usability changes.**

I wasnt intending to work on this tonight as I have some graphic design work I need to do, but the more I look, the juicer things get!

Out of curiosity, how did you find the clock speed?

17 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Lmao I appreciated your tests bro ! Actually going to try playing with the -5 contrast just with 16-235 instead as I feel h.265 works better with it. No macroblocking

Sorry kidzrevil, my mistake.

Saw later that you not mean "the macroblock" (in H.264) which is called "Coding tree unit" of HEVC in H.265 (with bigger blocks ... )

A macroblock typically consists of 16×16 samples, the Coding tree unit can be 64×64, 32×32, or 16×16.

And i thought for possible higher bitrates, it could be interessting how it works with smaller blocks.

3 hours ago, Chant said:

Found a few things. DRIMe-V clock rate seems to be 200mhz. And that seems.. low. Im expecting an NX1 in the next few weeks, so that is one thing I will test. May have to do some heat dissipation help, but from other things I have found in the fw that should be able to be pushed. If things are on the level of the sony a7(s) line up with their over heating issues I think a tad below that will suffice. The upper limit should be 700mhz+ But erring on the safe side will always be more logical.

I  know by experience that the NX1 is not very sensitive to heat.
I had placed in a vacation my camera at the pool - right in the sun (it was 30 degrees Celsius in the shade!).
After about 25 minutes UHD / 30p recording was still running - despite that one could hardly touch the housing.
Heat test passed! I would say.

4 hours ago, Chant said:

The list of additions are interesting, I have to admit the focus will be on video and all other aspects will be secondary.

**Edit** In additon to that finding, I will have to track the changes to see if they upped the clock rate in the later fw. I am working in the first revision as that has the largest file size, so I assumed it would have the most debug changes from the 1.0 layout, with the other firmwares focusing more on updates and camera usability changes.**

I wasnt intending to work on this tonight as I have some graphic design work I need to do, but the more I look, the juicer things get!

About heat: please consider that:

- nx1's sensor is 60nm with copper -> much better tolerance

- nx1's cpu should be a recend exynos quad core, eg derived from the one in s4 or s5

10 hours ago, Chant said:

You can always get a cheap Thermographic camera and that way you can see how much it heats up during tests, however from my own experience I have not had any issues, its gotten real hot but still worked just fine and I did a lot of shoot with it once without little breathing in between.

There should be possibility to dump the RAW files to the card like Magic Lantern, do remember the live view is 2k~ at 50/60fps if choosen in the menu also I cannot see the 3200ISO blue lines in the live view that a lot of folks here seem to complain about, its clearly not the censor and more in the noise reduction and probably compression too.

2 minutes ago, chauncy said:

How is this trolling? I asked is someone actually working on this or we all just hoping? I hope someone's working on it. But it's unclear to me.

Of course someone is working on this, if you actually bothered to read it would be pretty clear. His name is Chant and some other people are fiddling around in the system files and looking through the firmwares. 

47 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

You can always get a cheap Thermographic camera and that way you can see how much it heats up during tests, however from my own experience I have not had any issues, its gotten real hot but still worked just fine and I did a lot of shoot with it once without little breathing in between.

There should be possibility to dump the RAW files to the card like Magic Lantern, do remember the live view is 2k~ at 50/60fps if choosen in the menu also I cannot see the 3200ISO blue lines in the live view that a lot of folks here seem to complain about, its clearly not the censor and more in the noise reduction and probably compression too.

I honestly never tried to see if the lines are on the livieview...what if they can't be seen due to size and amoled?

Update: just checked through the EFV and yes blue lines from high iso are also in the live view

6 minutes ago, sandro said:

I honestly never tried to see if the lines are on the livieview...what if they can't be seen due to size and amoled?

Update: just checked through the EFV and yes blue lines from high iso are also in the live view

Which ISO? I used a mangify glass I also turned off OLED colours.

I put it on 3200ISO in darkness also grey background and nothing, if I go to 4000ISO I see RGB ISO noise. I honestly cannot see these blue line streaks you are speaking off in the live view but I can see them in the HEVC files out of the camera. 

I checked both in photo mode and video mode, I will take a picture with my Canon 400D using a macro lens, if you could do the same even with a cellphone if you got any. It would be interesting to see. Perhaps you have a faulty camera or it could also be the OLED colours for all I know.