Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

I'm no coder and my logic tells me:

From my perspective, most of us in this topic have
-no idea how to hack the camera
-no idea what it actually means or what amount of work or expertise is needed for this
-no idea where to start
+ and we only know what we want
+ we can put some amount of money into it

What about contacting ML coders asking for getting help from them either with coding and hacking itself, or just getting kickastart by fetching info of how to start, what(who) to look for,..

Ultimately, their goal is to get RAW recording into "kind of" budget camera which is capable of handling such data rate and providing superb output quality in smallest cheap body, right? Also GH2 had hackers if I remember it right.

I think this sums up the situation pretty well.

I agree that contacting the Magic Lantern people might be the best bet.
Really there were only ever TWO hacked Camera OS's - Canon by Magic Lantern and GH2 by Vitaliy.
Casey's suggestion of enticing other hackers into it with a bounty might be the other viable option. 

I've never contacted the Magic Lantern people - but I know they ARE contactable. But it ain't gonna come cheap because those are pro's that have already done their time in hacking and have moved on in their lives.
Maybe we could pitch in our money and offer them a private concert by CHARO. That should hook anybody, right?

3 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Really there were only ever TWO hacked Camera OS's - Canon by Magic Lantern and GH2 by Vitaliy.
Casey's suggestion of enticing other hackers into it with a bounty might be the other viable option. 

I've never contacted the Magic Lantern people - but I know they ARE contactable. But it ain't gonna come cheap because those are pro's that have already done their time in hacking and have moved on in their lives.
Maybe we could pitch in our money and offer them a private concert by CHARO. That should hook anybody, right?

+1 for the concert LOL ! I at least want to get a quote from them to know how much we have to raise 

4 hours ago, woozie said:

I wonder how many forums members we have with NX1 that are interested. Probably could raise $10k easy with 100-200 supporters.

Shit, that IS doable. Let's start contacting everyone we can and get the lay of the land, so if someone IS interested, we can get fundraising going ASAP.

5 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Really there were only ever TWO hacked Camera OS's - Canon by Magic Lantern and GH2 by Vitaliy

Additionally, there was nikonhacker.com, pentax-hack.info, nex-hack .com (Sony cameras), and, evidently there is a GoPro hack from CHDK.

By the way, the main Magic Lantern developer (A1ex) was originally a contributor to the CHDK project prior to starting ML.  CHDK is still very active, primarily providing extra still photo features to Canon cameras.

Of course, there is also the Tragic Lantern fork of ML (which is still used to get All-I frames from the EOSM and the T3i/600D), and the is the existing Samsung NX hack.

6 hours ago, DPStewart said:

LOL!  Now there's someone who I haven't thought of in several decades.  "Cuchi, cuchi!"

I feel like beeing moderator right now :D.

Seems that now we have accomplished two following baby steps:
a) we are in agreement that contacting hackers who are doing it as we speak on other cameras is in order
b) as soon as we get reasonable information from them what to expect, we should start fundraiser so everybody can easily pitch in and we have funds for hackers

Is original poster still here (OP for next time)? Also is who is actively watching this topic, like multiple times a day - please come forward guys.
- It would be useful if OP would create first post dedicated to changes for easier overview of things happening
- You mentioned some names of hacker. Can somebody resourceful make a list of hackers from ML, GH2 and basicaly active or potential hackers to contact? 

From reading the NX1 thread on Personal View, it seems Vitali really likes the NX1 ... maybe he might be interested. He doesn't seem like the sort of person who would just do it for the money though. He would only do it if he wanted to do it ... if you get what I mean. Would be interesting to just hear his thoughts on the matter in any case.

10 hours ago, woozie said:

I wonder how many forums members we have with NX1 that are interested. Probably could raise $10k easy with 100-200 supporters.

Its definitely possible. We already collected all the firmware, we may have to write something up so everyone can copy, paste and send to the magic lantern team

18 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Don't forget Nikon Hacks

16 hours ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

I feel like beeing moderator right now :D.

Seems that now we have accomplished two following baby steps:
a) we are in agreement that contacting hackers who are doing it as we speak on other cameras is in order
b) as soon as we get reasonable information from them what to expect, we should start fundraiser so everybody can easily pitch in and we have funds for hackers

Is original poster still here (OP for next time)? Also is who is actively watching this topic, like multiple times a day - please come forward guys.
- It would be useful if OP would create first post dedicated to changes for easier overview of things happening
- You mentioned some names of hacker. Can somebody resourceful make a list of hackers from ML, GH2 and basicaly active or potential hackers to contact? 

Im still here. How do you make posts sticky on this forum ? We need to find a hacker whos committed to this before we worry about creating a timeline of changes imo