Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/31/2016 at 10:39 AM, kidzrevil said:

not enough support maybe ! Let's see if we can generate support via this thread ! Spread the word !

So the phone hacking guys at xda often have "bounties" for various things, like rooting or unlocking a boot loader. That method I think could be very successful for us. We find an arbiter that we trust, maybe kidzrevil since he started the thread, and pool our money into something like venmo, so that people are actually committed. The bounty would be for something specific like "installable firmware that can increase bitrate to 150 Mbps and increase frame rate to 60fps at highest stable bitrate at 4k". People that want that feature pool their money into that. Once real money can be seen, we might see bigger interest from developers. Of course if everyone wanted we could make the bounty for more or less features... My vote would be to keep it pretty realistic at first.

33 minutes ago, caseywilsondp said:

So the phone hacking guys at xda often have "bounties" for various things, like rooting or unlocking a boot loader. That method I think could be very successful for us. We find an arbiter that we trust, maybe kidzrevil since he started the thread, and pool our money into something like venmo, so that people are actually committed. The bounty would be for something specific like "installable firmware that can increase bitrate to 150 Mbps and increase frame rate to 60fps at highest stable bitrate at 4k". People that want that feature pool their money into that. Once real money can be seen, we might see bigger interest from developers. Of course if everyone wanted we could make the bounty for more or less features... My vote would be to keep it pretty realistic at first.

Im with you on keeping it realistic. Increasing/enhancing whats already there vs adding new features is more plausible. Please link message me about this bounty thing

1 hour ago, caseywilsondp said:

Sounds like a good plan.

I assume the real big one is increasing the bit rate; from there, possibly investigating internal sharpening or noise reduction? Seeing what's in the processor pipeline and getting more control over it? Where does the shadow blocking come from, things like that? Maybe the first hack isn't even a hack, but a pipeline view of what's going on, to see what's actually possible. 

Somewhere out there is the guy who wrote the damn firmware. Wish we knew someone at Samsung… there's the fastest track to this, is anyone from the team still there and could they get the OK to do this on a freelance/spare time basis?

Who actually has any coding experience here? Specially with Tizan Linux. 

I tried applying a modified firmware to the NX1 removing the record limit but the shit wont accept it, maybe there is some in-camera security system to check if firmware is legit or not? 

definitely keeping an eye on this. would be awesome

for the nx500, I heard they decided at the last minute to do 4k crop instead of 2.5k full sensor? that might be pretty easy to enable and hold up better to increasing framerates or bitrate... though not really sure how it all works. I think 240fps in 720p is another thing that was right at the edge of being released and wouldn't be difficult to hack into or overwhelming for the camera. I assume this is nothing new for those of you really digging into it - and not the main objective. but good luck guys, godspeed!

On 2/3/2016 at 10:59 AM, CMCFirm said:

Thanks TILT!

I am missing v1.01 and v1.10. That completes the entire firmware history for the NX1. 

If you are still missing those FW, you may thank archive.org:

1.01   http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201411/20141110100211100/NX1_FW_v1.01.zip
1.10   http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5889101&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=C&ModelName=EV-NX1ZZZBQBUS&VPath=FM/201412/20141220160910675/NX1_FW_v1.10.zip

Made a copy on my drive just in case.

As for my wishlist I would love to see recording time limit gone.

4 hours ago, sidi said:

Cool for the links. It'd be interesting to find v1.0 as well, but it probably was never put online.

4 hours ago, sidi said:

Thanks sidi! Files have been added to my drive link posted above. Posting it again for ease of access here:
https://drive.google.com/a/cmcfirm.com/folderview?id=0Bwt0uzFgEoRkQ2ZLOUJOM295UGM&usp=sharing

The entire firmware history (v1.01, v1.10, v1.20, v1.21, v1.22, v1.30, v1.31, v1.32, and v1.40) for the NX1 is now archived in that link:

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Don't own an NX1 but I am in for a back-up/donation.

Just find the guy/s.

I don't ask for 7K or 240p I just want more control over the image profile:

*Remove the in-camera sharpening (the reason I don't own an nx1!) 

*Remove the bad NR at high ISOs (I'd better deal with it in post with neat) to get better 1600+ images. 

*1:1 4K 2.7x crop mode as on the NX500.

*Control over EVF/LCD/ parameters as ML and button command customization for video

*Fine 1/0.5 fps increment control over frame rate from 5 seconds to 30p as on ML.

46 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Don't own an NX1 but I am in for a back-up/donation.

Just find the guy/s.

I don't ask for 7K or 240p I just want more control over the image profile:

*Remove the in-camera sharpening (the reason I don't own an nx1!) 

*Remove the bad NR at high ISOs (I'd better deal with it in post with neat) to get better 1600+ images. 

*1:1 4K 2.7x crop mode as on the NX500.

*Control over EVF/LCD/ parameters as ML and button command customization for video

*Fine 1/0.5 fps increment control over frame rate from 5 seconds to 30p as on ML.

Exactly ! Im with you 100% on the first two adjustments you mentioned

7 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

Cool for the links. It'd be interesting to find v1.0 as well, but it probably was never put online.

It never was, before v1.01 (Firmware File - Sun Nov 09 20:02:00 EST 2014) the download section shows only: "Download data unavailable"

I'm no coder and my logic tells me:

From my perspective, most of us in this topic have
-no idea how to hack the camera
-no idea what it actually means or what amount of work or expertise is needed for this
-no idea where to start
+ and we only know what we want
+ we can put some amount of money into it

What about contacting ML coders asking for getting help from them either with coding and hacking itself, or just getting kickastart by fetching info of how to start, what(who) to look for,..

Ultimately, their goal is to get RAW recording into "kind of" budget camera which is capable of handling such data rate and providing superb output quality in smallest cheap body, right? Also GH2 had hackers if I remember it right.