Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Samsung photo/video defection?

At CES 2016 there was big announcement about Samsung “genius fridge” with cameras inside, doing everything but eating your food.

Noticeably absent was anything about Samsung line of NX series of cameras, with rumors flying around that Samsung is abandoning the cameras, that they are disappearing from the stores, no resupply.

If true, this might go down as a “Dumbest decision of century” after warm acceptance of NX cameras and lenses by photo/video community.

When I saw ad proclaiming “NX1 – A whole New Dimension of Detail, with stunning 4K UHD video capabilities…..” I figured this is a perfect tool to migrate to new heights of video/photography that upcoming technology is heralding - major move from printed media to video/visual experience.

I realized that new wave of TV sets with their size, resolution, 4k or 8k UHD, 3D capabilities opens up whole new way of capturing life around us. Perfect photos and videos can now be enjoyed by professionals and amateurs. I was excited and got NX1 with bunch of lenses, very impressing. Then NX500 followed for casual and travel shooting. Then 2D/3D lens, Gear VR glasses, drone for aerial shots. I see this as a perfect match of capture and display gizmos made by Samsung - huge, progressive, reputable company, that is beating dinosaurs like Nikon, Canon, etc. Add the advances in memory, gizmos, processing software, all at now affordable cost – watch out Michelangelo, here I come!

And then?....and then?....

Rumors on the blog sites start flying that Samsung is pulling out of camera business, lenses and NX cameras are being discontinued in the stores, or maybe sold to Nikon?

Huh? (or WTF?)

I am not prophet, but I grew up with film and dark room stuff, lived through shoulder video cameras, welcomed digital stuff, to finally see the incredible potential for the new generation of equipment. Being robotics and communications design engineer, I can see the potential and direction where the technology is heading. I can’t believe that the smart heads at Samsung would decide to dump the NX and future lines in place of what? Smart Fridge?

The reality is that Samsung managed to produce promising line of displays and recording equipment and could cream the competition by offering complete solutions for UHD, 3D, VR, glasses TV….. but seemingly decided to scrap their “new Dimension” ?

There a lot of people disenchanted, some are dumping their gear, some are holding on in hope of having unique and advanced tools that might become rare collector’s items.

I hope that the rumors are not true and Samsung decides to continue this pioneering line of cameras and gadgets. If they need some advice, ideas and assistance by devoted users, I am sure many of us would be willing to contribute. With demonstrated capabilities and huge manufacturing base, Samsung could be the king of the media hill.

On behalf of NX and SmartTV aficionados I ask you to reconsider, beef up service department and continue to expand the media business.

Just out of interest, what would be the most important thing you guys would like to see a programmer change or add to the NX1? Increased bitrate as mentioned previously?

Bitrate is #1, hopefully from 90 to ~200 (high end SD cards can support this) if possible. Similar to the hacking done on the GH line. 

Just out of interest, what would be the most important thing you guys would like to see a programmer change or add to the NX1? Increased bitrate as mentioned previously?

several things, but for video, most notably:

- higher bitrate (200)

- zero nr

- faster fps (240) at 1080 and/or 720

- faster fps (60) at 4k

- crop mode selectable at 4k (ala nx500) for a digital zoom

- 10 bit

- 4:2:2 internal rec

- evf turnable during video

For stills, a lot of things, but especially focus bracketing.

increased bitrate is the #1 thing. It should help minimize or even eliminate macroblocking in the shadows and 1080p video. 2nd on the list of priorities is total removal of the in camera sharpness algorithim and last but not least 0 noise reduction

In here as well with an NX1 and NX500. 

The Firmware Files I have are v1.20, v1.21, v1.22, v1.30, v1.31, v1.32, and v1.40. I have uploaded them to my Google Drive and you can access the link here:
https://drive.google.com/a/cmcfirm.com/folderview?id=0Bwt0uzFgEoRkQ2ZLOUJOM295UGM&usp=sharing

Former Canon/ML user looking for some love on the NX line. Looking forward to seeing what you can do. I'm in with a donation as well.

Thanks!
Justin Pandelo

Thanks JUSTIN, may I have access to the firmware to archive them as back up to my current nx1 - requesting to access link. 

I'm with Geoff. Per EOSHD:

"Nov 20, 2014 - When the NX1 was being developed in Samsung's lab, the sensor output ran at 6.5K raw at 240fps."

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/samsung-nx1-review-glory-technology/

This is theoretically possible. For me though, I'm hoping at least 240fps 1080p, possibly even 4k. Also would like 14 bit RAW video like Magic Lantern offers. Changed recording limits would be useful. 

increased bitrate is the #1 thing. It should help minimize or even eliminate macroblocking in the shadows and 1080p video. 2nd on the list of priorities is total removal of the in camera sharpness algorithim and last but not least 0 noise reduction

I suspect that the "noise reduction" is mostly a consequence of downsampling, which is why the camera is clean up to a certain ISO, and then degrades rapidly after that.

So getting rid of actual noise reduction might not do anything except in low light.

I'm with Geoff. Per EOSHD:

"Nov 20, 2014 - When the NX1 was being developed in Samsung's lab, the sensor output ran at 6.5K raw at 240fps."

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/11/samsung-nx1-review-glory-technology/

This is theoretically possible. For me though, I'm hoping at least 240fps 1080p, possibly even 4k. Also would like 14 bit RAW video like Magic Lantern offers. Changed recording limits would be useful. 

The sensor can do it but the processor probably rapidly overheats at higher frame rates. The production specs would have been set based on what would result in reliable operation without damaging the processor. Manufacturers in general will not allow operation modes that will likely result in warranty returns, even if the equipment is capable of doing those modes in the short term, because that will cost them their profit margin and more.

I suspect that the "noise reduction" is mostly a consequence of downsampling, which is why the camera is clean up to a certain ISO, and then degrades rapidly after that.

So getting rid of actual noise reduction might not do anything except in low light.

The sensor can do it but the processor probably rapidly overheats at higher frame rates. The production specs would have been set based on what would result in reliable operation without damaging the processor. Manufacturers in general will not allow operation modes that will likely result in warranty returns, even if the equipment is capable of doing those modes in the short term, because that will cost them their profit margin and more.

nah...its legit noise reduction and excessive luminance channel sharpening to mask it. You can tell even in the raw stills what the camera is truly capable of and when grain starts appearing stills vs. video. I can downsample a 16:9 still at 28mp and downsize it to 8mp like 4k and you can tell nr is applied to the video. Test it yourself