Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

I was wondering that, perhaps, the best way to 'hack' nx1 would be writing code for it. I mean, instead modifying the existing fw, why not just leave it as is and write new routines to be summoned from sd at startup? That should be possible as shown by those who have done something for this camera, till now. And these routines should 'intercept' some parameters and change them on the run. Eg. When I select video pro quality, set a higher bitrate. Or: when I set 120fps, run at 240fps and so forth...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was wondering that, perhaps, the best way to 'hack' nx1 would be writing code for it. I mean, instead modifying the existing fw, why not just leave it as is and write new routines to be summoned from sd at startup? That should be possible as shown by those who have done something for this camera, till now. And these routines should 'intercept' some parameters and change them on the run. Eg. When I select video pro quality, set a higher bitrate. Or: when I set 120fps, run at 240fps and so forth...

great idea !!!! Totally makes sense. It pretty much would just improve whats already there

Anyone heard from Cellar Door since posting this?

Pavel & Marco I fully agree with you guys, it would be great if we could get a community driven effort to build custom fw.

Over the holiday season I can use some of my free time to take a look at the NX1 source code and see what some 'low hanging fruit' might be in terms of enhancements. Adding features can of course vary greatly in complexity, so the type of additions I mentioned in my prior post (new resolution & frame-rate options) were simpler changes to make.

Your suggestion for bitrate could be a good one .... the easiest points of attack are cases where the camera is technically capable of a particular function, but that option (for whatever reason) was not exposed in the camera's User Interface. Some of the improvements Samsung made to NX1 firmware after its initial release represent a serious time investment by a team of engineers, so to do more ambitious changes it would be great if I could find other enthusiasts with computer science backgrounds interested in collaborating.

With time, effort, and ability anything is possible though.

~ http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9451-is-samsung-shutting-down-their-camera-business/?page=28#comment-123345

There seems to be a lot of small forum posts about hacking the NX1, the camera definitely supports 10bit, 240fps in 1080p or even 1440p, it should also spit out 2160p in RAW and it should record 6k in 30 max fps in h265 codec with bitrate probably around 40 to 100 mbps.

The 10bit colours or even 14bit should not cause much more strain on the CPU then there already is, its just requires a faster card.

I would personally be willing to sacrifice my NX1 just to get all these features or at least 2160p raw output. It is a real bummer that Samsung decided not to enable these feature I know they are in the damn camera they are just disabled. 

God knows why the fuck they decided to do something as stupid like that, they could have sold the damn fucker for 6000+ dollars and enabled everything, it would be adopted by damn Hollywood for its image quality at such a price range.

Super useful - but I don't think something like that could be added within a software hack. It would need some analog input that can safely take an incoming voltage. I don't think the NX1 has that.
There's a tiny chance the external Mic input could be redirected, but that's a long shot.

Unless there's a way in via USB? I have no idea though...

The problem could be the part devoted to the specific hw of nx1. I mean, as far as I understood, there is a code specifically written for the custom chips and hw of nx1. This part is binary only, hence it needs to be reverse engineered to understand how it works. That's why I proposed the way through a new code to be written and executed at startup.

The problem could be the part devoted to the specific hw of nx1. I mean, as far as I understood, there is a code specifically written for the custom chips and hw of nx1. This part is binary only, hence it needs to be reverse engineered to understand how it works. That's why I proposed the way through a new code to be written and executed at startup.

hopefully Andrew Reid gets behind this. Im sure people will respond to a post on his site regarding taking a shot at hacking the camera, especially if its crowdfunded