Canon 5D mark iii RAW video quality in 2016

kidzrevil

I've seen a lot of great work posted here from the 5D but none seems night and day in comparison to the image I am getting out of the nx1 to be honest but then again I am looking at it compressed on the web. I am just not seeing the dramatic difference everyone is claiming...you've seen my gh4 & nx1 work afterall...

Haha! Yeah, well you're comparing it to this brand new NX1 video which is pretty darned amazing in its own right. 
In fact many have said that the NX1 is THE dslr that starts to rival the 5D RAW's general image quality.
However - for post processing latitude and flexibility the RAW still destroys the NX1 codec. It destroys all codecs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haha! Yeah, well you're comparing it to this brand new NX1 video which is pretty darned amazing in its own right. In fact many have said that the NX1 is THE dslr that starts to rival the 5D RAW's general image quality.
However - for post processing latitude and flexibility the RAW still destroys the NX1 codec. It destroys all codecs.

ha that makes sense, guess I was underestimating the Samsung ! The more I read you guys feedback is the more I want the 5D. I think I can match the sharpness to the NX1 with a high quality lens like the Milvus glass without the compression and sharpening artifacts. If that truly is possible then I just may have found a nice camera to compliment or exceed my nx1

ha that makes sense, guess I was underestimating the Samsung ! The more I read you guys feedback is the more I want the 5D. I think I can match the sharpness to the NX1 with a high quality lens like the Milvus glass without the compression and sharpening artifacts. If that truly is possible then I just may have found a nice camera to compliment or exceed my nx1

While you can get decent enough details with a good lens, I think the NX1's sharpness and detail is unrivaled in this price category.

I don't think you can use the sigma art with the 5d, I think they're made for aps-c sensors not full frame. I would think your Nikkors would be great for the 5D. 

They're of course mostly full frame lenses. DG is full frame, DC is APS-C. I think the 30 1.4 (NOT 35 1.4) is the only APS-C ART prime they make.

They're of course mostly full frame lenses. DG is full frame, DC is APS-C. I think the 30 1.4 (NOT 35 1.4) is the only APS-C ART prime they make.

To be honest, I have only ever considered the 30 1.4 and 18-35 1.8 and they're both aps-c lenses, so I just assumed the entire line was. Good to know. 

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, holly thread resurrection Batman!!  

I am on the fence between getting a blackmagic cine micro or a 5d mk iii to shoot raw with ML.   I was thinking of getting an a7 ii with an atomos blade and use the eoshd cine  settings with it , but i saw the raw footage from the blackmagic  super 16 sensors on vimeo and my jaw dropped . I cannot afford the a7s ii but even if i could the raw colours , clarity and that  cinematic feeling   are unbelievable to my amateur eyes, even in compressed vimeo  format.  (Not interested in a gh4)

I thus have these questions for the canon owning people, how much time can the 5d mk iii record in 1080p raw??  Is it a matter of until the card runs out of space?  And secondly how much painful have you found it to cut and process the resulting footage compared to your normal workflow or compared to blackmagic derived footage.  

Do the cheaper focal reducers work without trouble with canon fd glass on the blackmagic or  am I going to have soft-focus/out of focus video ?

At the end of the day , from people that have worked with both and taking into account the loss of shallow DOF etc, what would you recommend at the end of 2016? I am looking towards the blackmagic micro at the moment but needing new glass plus focal reducers is a minus

Thanks in advance for all thoughts