Blackmagic URSA 4K in Stock (Sweden)

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

If anyone was waiting (I was until I got my Red), its the first time its in stock for a non preorder.
They have 24h shipping during week days, only one in stock,  so Monday for the quickest :)

http://www.scandinavianphoto.se/(X(1)A(AnIJhNWQtMWU3ODMtMODMtMz)A(An2qJ40Xsic1))/produkt/1008509948/blackmagic-design/ursa-mini-4k-ef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

No complaints about that one. I wonder if they just implemented everything wrong on the Ursa version.

I have only seen reports of improvements. What is the issue exactly?

EDIT: Just read some of them, they are mostly just complaining about stuff they would have known with 5min of research. Same "issues" like the BMPC4K which is that its not a lowlight camera.

I have only seen reports of improvements. What is the issue exactly?

EDIT: Just read some of them, they are mostly just complaining about stuff they would have known with 5min of research. Same "issues" like the BMPC4K which is that its not a lowlight camera.

First 2 reviews:

So I received my camera opened it up, powered it on shot a few clips and started to hear a squealing noise. I called Blackmagic and sent them a video of the noise. Then sent the camera too them and they sent me a new camera. However now I have a camera that doesn't squeal but the image quality and noise floor is much different.

--------------

Well I finally got my preorder after 5 months of waiting, and well I have to agree with some of the other reviewers and say this is the worst camera that Blackmagic has ever manufactured. And I know for a fact that I will never buy another one of their cameras. They make great color grading tools but not cameras.

As soon as I opened the box and turned it on I had problems, there were around 8 dead pixels, eventually most of them went away but still two remained. I then shot a couple of test shots and every single one was noisy, the fan began to make a loud screeching noise like it was rubbing up against something. Fed up and angry I packed it up and sent it back to B&H.

• Super Members

Would not worry one bit about it. Two broken cameras out of thousands sold. Plus none confirmed.
Ive seen way more posts like that about the other Blackmagics, my Red, Canons, NX1 and Sonys I've had but no issues for me :)

Same thing with every camera and piece of electronics out there. If I would take reports like that serious the 5D, D750, C100, FS5, All Reds, All Blackmagic, All Canons, All Samsungs, All Panasonics, All Arris, All cameras ever made would be off limit. To risky, I saw two or three posts of bad once :)

Regarding noise at iso over 400.. yeah its normal if you starve a sensor. I still claim the BMPC4K is my absolute favorite of all the BMDs.
Its like buying a roll of B&W film and then complain about the lack of color.

• Super Members

Yeah, but they're talking about FPN in well lit conditions as well, making no sense. With so many negative reviews you'd think there's fire where that smoke came from... kSBDgQE.gif

Ive seen endless threads about that on the BMPC4K as well. Never happened to me. Might be true, just saying, don't take anyones word for it. Make sure for yourself.

BTW, do you know a camera that has not received many negative reviews and therefor have no smoke and fire...? :)
Because I don't, I don't know of one singe electronic device of any kind that haven't received lots of bad comments. Simply because that's when people generally care to comment.

Would not worry one bit about it. Two broken cameras out of thousands sold. Plus none confirmed.
Ive seen way more posts like that about the other Blackmagics, my Red, Canons, NX1 and Sonys I've had but no issues for me :)

Same thing with every camera and piece of electronics out there. If I would take reports like that serious the 5D, D750, C100, FS5, All Reds, All Blackmagic, All Canons, All Samsungs, All Panasonics, All Arris, All cameras ever made would be off limit. To risky, I saw two or three posts of bad once :)

Regarding noise at iso over 400.. yeah its normal if you starve a sensor. I still claim the BMPC4K is my absolute favorite of all the BMDs.
Its like buying a roll of B&W film and then complain about the lack of color.

None of the other cinema cameras at B&H have that bad of reviews. The original BM cams have 4.5/5 stars. Some are even less than 15 user reviews. I agree trying it out for ones self is the best route, but relatively speaking, it's not looking good for that camera with reviews.

• Super Members

None of the other cinema cameras at B&H have that bad of reviews. The original BM cams have 4.5/5 stars. Some are even less than 15 user reviews. I agree trying it out for ones self is the best route, but relatively speaking, it's not looking good for that camera with reviews.

You dont suppose its because its been out for years and have had it's bugs fixed?

All Im saying is that this isnt new. The first BMCC and BMPCC got nothing but awful and really bad reviews for months. People wrote to me and said I was the first positive reviewer they had seen.

Same thing with the bmpc4k.

And then, as well as now imo, its mostly people with to high expectations and to little knowlege. And trolls.

Either way, personally, I never ever read that type of reviews and never will. Because 99 out of a 100 it doesn't at all mirror the experience from actual well informed users. Plus, we dont even know for sure they are real...

Again, it might be true, Im not disputing. Im simply giving you the advice not to take small comments at a store made by anonomys internet people as proof and gospel.

Becaue then its time to sell the c100, just like the bmpcc it got so so much hate in the beginning... And as you know it turned out just fine :)

Becaue then its time to sell the c100, just like the bmpcc it got so so much hate in the beginning... And as you know it turned out just fine :)

I think ti comes down to the fact that the C100 was awwwwwful on spec sheets (even the C100 II sounds really meh) while the Ursa Mini sounds like a miracle of high tech engineering. But then in actually using the cameras, the C100 just works and with the Ursa Mini you have to put in more work / expertise / care. The Ursa Mini seems totaly "run & gun" but everyone who read up about the BMPC4k knows that it's not flexible. It'll deliver amazing results but you have to stay strictly within the boundaries of where it works.

Actual product manufacturing quality is hard to judge, on the internet it's usually the unhappy people complaining because most people who are satisfied don't feel the need to yell it out into the world. But completely hypothetically, I can see how a smaller company like BMD who goes for probably rather close calculated prices has not the same QC capabilities as a huge player. As I said, this is theoretically speaking, but in the past there was quite a few oopsies with the BMD cameras when they came out that were then later fixed (or not).

You get what you pay for, and old saying but probably has some merrit with the current BM cameras. How is it they can produce such highly spec'd cameras so much cheaper than everyone else? I am sure in part other manufacturers have a pay a premium price for a premium camera mentality so you can cut some cost there. After that they probably have to use the cheapest off the shelf parts they can find and use the cheapest manufactures they can find which leads to more variance in the production quality. I am sure there are some complainers who just didn't research and know what they were buying but I have seen  legitmate complaints as well. With BM you probably have a small but higher probabilty of getting a sub par camera which is were these complaints and bad reviews come from. I would not be surprised to see the same from the 4.6K. In short BM will be plagued by the same problems all manufacturers have just at a higher rate of frequency.

I want them to succeed big time. I've even said that I'm liking the 4K image better than 4.6K thus far. I just hope they don't shoot themselves by releasing bad units before they're ready.

You get what you pay for, and old saying but probably has some merrit with the current BM cameras.

Speaking of getting what you pay for, why is the BMPC4K the same price as the Ursa Mini 4K? Is it only Global Shutter?