1dx mark ii, 4k 60fps?

BrorSvensson

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
12 minutes ago, araucaria said:

Btw, do you use iso 6400 often? I'm a low iso sucker, I can see the colors fall apart at iso 200 on my nikon d800 (raw stills). I know the canons handle high isos better, but still, there is no magic. The postprocessing the 1DC is doing I guess helps masking the colorful noise, but still the colors are fucked up. I can imagine that if you had done that scene with iso 100, the skin would have more "secondary" colors, which is something noisereduction kills badly.

Yes I am a high iso sucker. But 200 on the d800 really shouldn't do that, you might be too sensitive to minor changes than you need to be, again a trait in sharp eyed photographers/cinematographers, never want a 1% fall in IQ. 

Will do 100 ISO prolost/cinestyle.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On February 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

What I love about the 1DC? 

1- It's SOFT. Like Red/Alexa. When I say sharpening off, it turns sharpening off. Simple ha? No, ALL the cheaper new 4K cameras I've tried and bought stillnhave sharpening at zero. It seems like a very easy firmware fix but they don't do it for some reason = inherent Video look.

2- The body size and weight. It makes me feel like a big man, probably to compensate for an inner psychological issue, or physical :) 

Everyone seems to like the camera, for good reason, but that price...

Ultimately, what do you think?  Good value?

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

For serious professional photographers who have EF lenses it's a great camera. 

For video users who also do photography and have EF lenses, it's a great camera if you can justify the expenditure. 

For video users solely with EF lenses, it's a luxury item and makes sense if you have that kind of money to throw around. 

For anyone without EF lenses, forget about it. Just move on. 

Me? I have EF lenses and would like to try it out, for both video and photography :) 

21 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

For anyone without EF lenses, forget about it. Just move on.

If only I didn't have that one damn client that demanded 60p video... Well, I'm glad I have the client, just wish she wasn't so enamored with 60p, it would make my purchase decisions a heck of a lot easier. 

Normally, I would never consider that price for the Dx.  I know there's other camera options for video, but I just have to decide if spending that much is justified for my needs. (of course, maybe they're not needs, just personal desires ;-) )

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
On 2/24/2016 at 0:13 AM, fuzzynormal said:

It's a great camera to handle and use. I think most if not all reviewers focused on small spec negatives and missed the actual downsides of using the camera.

For example too much emphasis on peaking & EVF while a clip-on loup gives me a huge easy to focus screen. And the controls and menus, speed of operation are second nature. They emphasize on lack of IBIS while Canon EF lenses provide better stabilization with much more natural results.

Using the camera now on rent the problems are really for me only a few dealbreakers when I'm paying this much for my personal camera:

1-The severe issue of SOFT 60p at HD. It's unacceptable for such camera grade. No Slow-motion effectively.

2-The 5DIII-like HD FF mode which is soft-ish, I don't always want major 4K 422 IQ and need a high quality small HD mode. The S35 mode is the workaround.

3-The lack of 30p in 4K makes it unusable for many of my productions, tops at 25p and only DCI. Why not 30p UHD for TV/Broadcast friendly acquisition?

4-The biggest issue I am finding with the 1DC is stills quality, believe it or not. I only shoot long-exposure and wide landscapes where I am finding the output at only 18mp not satisfactory for me, astonishingly identical to 550D 18mp results I got at 100 ISO (where I shoot). So I really really want a higher mega-pixel count in stills, at least double.

5-For those of you used to mirrorless, the size and weight will be a shock at first. Next to a mirrorless it looks like a comically-sized camera-home-decoration item. 

Other than these, it's the perfect camera. Can't write enough on how fast and easy and the images you take home. Best camera I've ever used, kid you not.

No, I don't think the 1DC is good value, not something I'll buy. I'll wait and see the 1DXII which supposedly fixes all my issues and is 2000$ less.

Lack of C-Log? I don't care, I am even using the portrait PS gamma on the 1DC much more than C-Log.

Can easily give it up as the other gammas are just great in contrast and colour.