1dx mark ii, 4k 60fps?

BrorSvensson

So just a recap on the crops... The 4K is APS-H crop, no full frame and the 1080p is pixel binned full frame.

I heard some criticism that it shoots 4096 x 2160 instead of the more usual Ultra HD. Can only laugh at that. So trivial to place DCI 4K on a 3840 x 2160 timeline in any NLE.

So, is that mean 120fps full frame 1080p? That would be really great. No crop like a7sII od c300 II in 120fps? I wonder if they improved 1080p codec quality. Something like in 5ds would be nice.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Focus peaking isn't really needed given touch-screen PDAF. If PDAF-assisted manual focus is provided (as with C300 II), peaking is also not needed.

Full-frame cameras have super shallow depth of field; video shooters really need all the focus aids they can get.

For stills plus occasional movies the 1DC is I'm sure a fine camera.  For folks primarily making movies, there are better and less expensive options out there.

- Could have recording times of max. 3 minutes and shoot cropped by 'pulling a Nikon' too of course...

nah don't call it "pulling a Nikon"

They simply were not ready to implement it back when they announced it. But longer length recordings will be coming from Nikon in a future firmware update :)

So just a recap on the crops... The 4K is APS-H crop, no full frame and the 1080p is pixel binned full frame.

I heard some criticism that it shoots 4096 x 2160 instead of the more usual Ultra HD. Can only laugh at that. So trivial to place DCI 4K on a 3840 x 2160 timeline in any NLE.

Hmm. I computed 1.42 crop from the diagram, others stated 1.3 and here 1.4 is stated: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/19104-canon-1dx-ii-video-camera-perspective-mini-interview-on-the-missing-details/. Also sounds like 1080p will be pristine and alias/moire free- so no pixel binning? This camera is starting to look good as a B-camera for the C300 II.

Focus peaking isn't really needed given touch-screen PDAF. If PDAF-assisted manual focus is provided (as with C300 II), peaking is also not needed.

CFast 2.0, while (currently) expensive, rocks. Copying CFast 2.0 to the computer over USB3 is insanely fast. It's not possible to bend pins on CFast 2.0 as with CF.

If Adobe (or Apple) add GPU accelerated MJPEG support, MJPEG will be less of a bummer (real-time editing will be possible with no transcoding).

Focus peaking is important for controlling your field of focus. Not just for video, but for stills as well.

what do you guys think about this

Screen_Shot_2016-02-02_at_12.12.46_AM.th

I think it is what the D5 was panned for.

Focus peaking is important for controlling your field of focus. Not just for video, but for stills as well.

I think it is what the D5 was panned for.

After using the PDAF on the C300 II, peaking and manual focus is way too slow (and clunky) compared to full AF with face tracking (works amazingly well). For manual focus, PDAF assist is superior to manual with focus peaking. For live, unrehearsed shots, PDAF is amazing and peaking isn't useful. A full 1080p display and viewfinder are more helpful for fast, accurate focus vs. peaking in my experience (peaking is based on contrast/edges and is not always accurate or easy to see).

After using the PDAF on the C300 II, peaking and manual focus is way too slow (and clunky) compared to full AF with face tracking (works amazingly well). For manual focus, PDAF assist is superior to manual with focus peaking. For live, unrehearsed shots, PDAF is amazing and peaking isn't useful. A full 1080p display and viewfinder are more helpful for fast, accurate focus vs. peaking in my experience (peaking is based on contrast/edges and is not always accurate or easy to see).

My experience is with the NX1, and my old Canon did not have PDAF, so I can't comment on that. But personally, I have found that when it comes to critical focus with narrow depths of field, peaking is an important tool for ensuring that what you want in your field of focus actually is in focus. Perhaps you might not use it, but others may.

Given the options of having the tool and not having the tool on a 6k camera, it is IMO sort of mind boggling that they would leave it out. There is no good reason for leaving those sorts of tools out. It's applications are not just for video, but stills as well, especially if you are doing macro work. I would rather not guess or rely on what the camera thinks is right.

My experience is with the NX1, and my old Canon did not have PDAF, so I can't comment on that. But personally, I have found that when it comes to critical focus with narrow depths of field, peaking is an important tool for ensuring that what you want in your field of focus actually is in focus. Perhaps you might not use it, but others may.

Given the options of having the tool and not having the tool on a 6k camera, it is IMO sort of mind boggling that they would leave it out. There is no good reason for leaving those sorts of tools out. It's applications are not just for video, but stills as well, especially if you are doing macro work. I would rather not guess or rely on what the camera thinks is right.

If Canon were to render the PDAF pixels showing which pixels were in focus (instead of traditional edge-detector algorithms which mathematically cannot ever always work reliably), that would indeed be very useful and blow away edge-peaking. Perhaps a future feature someday.

• Administrators

Below, full picture is 1D X Mark II at 20MP

Largest white box is entire frame of 1D C at 18MP

Smallest white box is DCI 4K.

It's a shame the still can't do a full pixel readout at 5.5K or 6.5K like Samsung have been able to do on the NX1.

I am sure the 1D X Mark II sensor could do 5.5K if they let it!

1d-x-ii-crop-vs-1d-c.thumb.jpg.d3b7440bf

Crazy there is no C-Log.. 2 extra stops of DR and nice highlight rolloff unavailable because of a marketing decision? 

Yeah it's crazy and I really dislike this kind of 'marketing'. They may have lost a few sales here.

Very hard to go back to standard picture profiles after you have spent so much time and effort on your own looks / LUTs.

Canon need to re-consider this...

What exactly would they cannibalise by adding just one Cinema EOS feature to their non Cinema EOS camera!? And it isn't as if the 1D X Mark II is exactly cheap.

I have used the focus peaking feature on an external monitor. And, to be honest, on a run and gun situation.... I would use it over the old method of magnifying and checking focus, but the new PDAF.... It's just simple... I would definitely use it over peaking any day. If you haven't used it... Trust me... You are missing out. Borrow, Rent a 70D... Also, get yourself a 50/1.2. Play around with the touch screen for day... And it will definitely change your opinion of peaking versus PDAF.

It's a shame the still can't do a full pixel readout at 5.5K or 6.5K like Samsung have been able to do on the NX1.

Yeah it's crazy and I really dislike this kind of 'marketing'. They may have lost a few sales here.

Very hard to go back to standard picture profiles after you have spent so much time and effort on your own looks / LUTs.

What exactly would they cannibalise by adding just one Cinema EOS feature to their non Cinema EOS camera!? And it isn't as if the 1D X Mark II is exactly cheap.

Andrew, have you managed to play with any other uploaded profiles on your 1DC? Surely someone can unlock a lovely LOG setting, or even snatch C-log from the 1DC. Possible? 

Move seen a few "EOS Movie" vids on YouTube - as standard seems to look like much clearer and detailed 5D mk III footage with a bit better dynamic range. Definitely needs a proper lovely profile for us cinematic nuts! 

It probably can do a full pixel read out, but not process all the data generated. So there is a compromise.

I have used the focus peaking feature on an external monitor. And, to be honest, on a run and gun situation.... I would use it over the old method of magnifying and checking focus, but the new PDAF.... It's just simple... I would definitely use it over peaking any day. If you haven't used it... Trust me... You are missing out. Borrow, Rent a 70D... Also, get yourself a 50/1.2. Play around with the touch screen for day... And it will definitely change your opinion of peaking versus PDAF.

I don't doubt that it can get focus quickly with PDAF, what I am more concerned about is the field of focus and exactly where that is. If you want to control what is in the image, instead of hoping the camera gets it right, you need tools to help you with that.

If you want to control what is in the image, instead of hoping the camera gets it right, you need tools to help you with that.

See, as confident as you think you are in using focus peaking, that's how confident that I am that PDAF nails focus.

The beauty of it is that its all touch screen. You want something in focus, you touch it and its in focus no matter the thickness of DOF. If PDAF isn't nailing focus, send it back in for repair.

Andrew, have you managed to play with any other uploaded profiles on your 1DC? Surely someone can unlock a lovely LOG setting, or even snatch C-log from the 1DC. Possible? 

Move seen a few "EOS Movie" vids on YouTube - as standard seems to look like much clearer and detailed 5D mk III footage with a bit better dynamic range. Definitely needs a proper lovely profile for us cinematic nuts! 

+1

DPAF is a game changer. The technology is amazing- it allows fast, accurate focus with no hunting. Someday we'll be able to see DPAF pixels on screen to help with manual focus, much better than peaking. Here's how the hardware works: https://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/articles/Canon_Developers_Interview_nonfacing_pressquality.pdf

(Sony has this too, for example, on the A7R II).