1dx mark ii, 4k 60fps?

BrorSvensson

Like the CFast 2.0 , but think Canon should just give us two of them. It can so easily get confused over which go where on the field with the 2 very similar cards and identica looking sots. Not so happy with the way Canon try to limit the Video capability though ( and same for Nikon on their D5 ). There are numerous field application where its simply impractical to carry a Still and a Video cam both. Might be Canon should port the Still capability onto their Cine-EOS C100/C300/C500 or they should at least give us some more robust and decent Video on their TOP model. Same goes for Nikon again here.

I am with Visionrouge though, this still a very impressive platform. am just a bit sorry that both Nikon and Canon, still fail or reluctant to bring us a more all around PRO/production field hybrid that do decent work on both still and Video. Not asking it to outperform or even match the like of C300/C500 but at least it should be better than just a limited workset as it is now 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why are people saying MJPEG is processor intensive? MJPEG has never been a processor intensive codec. It's just a bunch of jpegs (so it's an all-intra codec) together. My CPU doesn't peak playing back mjpeg files.

You guys sure it's not just your harddrive that can't read the files fast enough?

Last time I tested Premiere Pro it choked on 1DC 4K MJPEGs in Windows 10 (over 6 months ago). Testing again today in OSX with the latest versions of FCPX and PP CC, both played 1DC 4K MJPEGs 100% real-time with low CPU utilization (perhaps now GPU accelerated). VLC still choked, and OSX Preview and QuickTime were a little choppy. Thus Canon's 4K MJPEGs aren't really an issue for FCPX and PP CC (on machines that play other 4K media smoothly).

1DX II videos- gorgeous color and filmic look. The 1.5 crop is the same as Super 35 in 4K. We switch back and forth between FF and Super 35. The only difference is shallower DOF with FF and effective 1.5x zoom in Super 35.

Curious to hear about rolling shutter performance. In any case, from the demo footage so far, this camera looks to be a winner.

Vincent Laforest says 4K is APS-H 1.3 crop same as 1Dc. MJPEG 4K plays fine in FCPX on 2013 iMac.

That makes sense re: same as 1DC, however computing crop factor from the diagram and pixel count (using square pixels) on this page gives a crop factor of:

sqrt((5472^2)+(3648^2))/sqrt((4096^2)+(2160^2)) = 1.42. 1.3 could come from comparing 1080p's diagonal pixels (imaging area on sensor, not pixels per se).

Regardless of crop factor, it's not a big deal, the IQ is great.

No c-log = 1Dc MKII at NAB. Given that it will have a C-Fast slot and cost almost twice as much, maybe it will record raw video?

If it had 4K/60p and held the 14 stops DR that are being reported (be it raw or 10bit C-log) then it would still be a competitive price compared to, say, RED Raven (even cams like Ursa mini and FS7).

If they can get a 1DC II in at $10k and hold the 14 stops, i'm in.

I'm not sure I understand all the critics about this camera.

Is it, so far, the best photography camera for sport/event/nature photographer ?

My answer is yes.

Is there somewhere something on this price range (6000 USD) who can do at the same time (Cropped) 4K 60 fps and (a bit less cropped) 120 fps Full HD (not even the C300 MK2 don't do 60fps in 4K) and the sony 7SII is far away if we consider all the camera aspect (bitrate, battery life, solidity, lens availability, color science, autofocus...)

Not that I know of.

Yes, the footage will need to be converted if shooted in 4K, but according to the 2 statement below, I don't think it's so much an issue.

I also agree if the camera was doing 4 K all-I internally in 10 bit 4.2.2, have peaking and XLR input,... it will be the absolute winner, but come on, please, this is not so bad for now.

I completely see some photographer very happy to get sometime very nice 4 K footage during their photo work.

And again, Any video camera on this price range is not doing at all photography as this one does.

Thanks Canon!

nx1 does 4k@30fps (not 60, alas) but from full sensor readout, and so with 1080@120fps.

Besides not being computer intensive, other than size, an added bonus is it allows for clean 8mb frame grabs every time.

You make a good point here.... We are all looking at this purely from a video perspective, but Canon would have very much had the frame grab feature in mind for stills/hybrid guys.

Personally, i think mPEG is fine... It means we get 4:2:2 by default, and the 1DC footage already shows it holds up really well, even with an 8 bit signal.

I got to say since seeing the official specs this beast is looking superb.  Always loved the image I;ve seen from the 1dc and probably would have bought one if it was £6000 at launch.  

That form factor - perfect for meat pie fingered lumps like myself.  Wish the A7 series was this bulky and solid.

I'm not sure to understand your point as you are quoting this post.

he asked:

"Is there somewhere something on this price range (6000 USD) who can do at the same time (Cropped) 4K 60 fps and (a bit less cropped) 120 fps Full HD (not even the C300 MK2 don't do 60fps in 4K) and the sony 7SII is far away if we consider all the camera aspect (bitrate, battery life, solidity, lens availability, color science, autofocus...)

Not that I know of."

I replied to this. What's wrong?

The DXmk2 is a dream camera for a breaking news videojournalist like me. Weather sealed and robust as a tank with 4K, 120fps 2K and Dual Pixel AF, it's perfect for shooting riots, sports or any action scenario where a C300mk2 would be too big and obtrusive. With custom picture profiles I don't think CLOG would be missed. But deciding not to include focus peak, when we've been using it in the 5Dmk2/3 for almost three years thanks to the Magic Lantern team, can only be described as one of the biggest GREEDY and I-don't-give-a-f*ck-about-my-customers movements in the history of the camera industry. The could make the best camera in the market for the same money, but they want you to buy 2 cameras or spend more than twice the money in a C300mk2.

Besides not being computer intensive, other than size, an added bonus is it allows for clean 8mb frame grabs every time.

Exactly, shoot the finish of the 100m finals at the Rio Olympics at 60fps for the perfect shot of the winner breaking the tape. Mjpeg makes a lot of sense for the people that will be buying his camera. 

The DXmk2 is a dream camera for a breaking news videojournalist like me. Weather sealed and robust as a tank with 4K, 120fps 2K and Dual Pixel AF, it's perfect for shooting riots, sports or any action scenario where a C300mk2 would be too big and obtrusive. With custom picture profiles I don't think CLOG would be missed. But deciding not to include focus peak, when we've been using it in the 5Dmk2/3 for almost three years thanks to the Magic Lantern team, can only be described as one of the biggest GREEDY and I-don't-give-a-f*ck-about-my-customers movements in the history of the camera industry. The could make the best camera in the market for the same money, but they want you to buy 2 cameras or spend more than twice the money in a C300mk2.

I would imagine Canon will have to drop the price on C300II, which currently is more costly than more capable RED Scarlet-W package.

• Administrators

So just a recap on the crops... The 4K is APS-H crop, no full frame and the 1080p is pixel binned full frame.

I heard some criticism that it shoots 4096 x 2160 instead of the more usual Ultra HD. Can only laugh at that. So trivial to place DCI 4K on a 3840 x 2160 timeline in any NLE.