1dx mark ii, 4k 60fps?

BrorSvensson

So if the 5dmkiv gets 4k it will also have the crappy mjpg thing?

If the reason suggested for the implementation in the 1DXM2 is correct (that Canon processors need fans to do 4K using hardware encoding), then the 5D4 would have to use MJPEG as well if it did 4K. More likely however is that it would not do 4K, only HD.

That would be unfortunate, since it would mean that we probably will not see 4K in Canon consumer cameras until 2018 at the earliest (assuming Digic 7 arrives in 2016 and serves through 2017).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If the reason suggested for the implementation in the 1DXM2 is correct (that Canon processors need fans to do 4K), then the 5D4 work have to use MJPEG as well if it did 4K. More likely however is that it would not do 4K, only HD.

Depends what the fans are cooling. If it's a new single Digic 7 chip, maybe it won't need a fan. If it's the sensor itself, you might be right. 

thanks

MJPEG is 8-bit DCT compressed frames, one after another. ProRes is 10-12 bit DCT compressed frames, one after another. Mathematically, they are very similar, both effectively providing JPG-like frames (with no interframe interpolation). ProRes has faster encoders/decoders, however they're not that fast compared to modern H.264 ALL-I codecs, which have both faster encode/decode (with HW) and are also more efficient.

As others have noted, the reason MJPEG is being used is likely cost, and perhaps to differentiate from the C line. Our C300 II does have a fan, however it can be set up to shut off during filming.

The fact that the NX1 can do 4K H.265 (without a fan?) means that perhaps some licensing would help with Canon's in-house tech deficit.

MJPEG is 8-bit DCT compressed frames, one after another. ProRes is 10-12 bit DCT compressed frames, one after another. Mathematically, they are very similar, both effectively providing JPG-like frames (with no interframe interpolation). ProRes has faster encoders/decoders, however they're not that fast compared to modern H.264 ALL-I codecs, which have both faster encode/decode (with HW) and are also more efficient.

As others have noted, the reason MJPEG is being used is likely cost, and perhaps to differentiate from the C line. Our C300 II does have a fan, however it can be set up to shut off during filming.

The fact that the NX1 can do 4K H.265 (without a fan?) means that perhaps some licensing would help with Canon's in-house tech deficit.

And my real thanks to you

Depends what the fans are cooling. If it's a new single Digic 7 chip, maybe it won't need a fan. If it's the sensor itself, you might be right. 

It will be the processor. If you can produce uncompressed 4K without a fan, the sensor isn't the source of the heat, it has to be the processor.

Canon went full in. 

nice write up thanks ebrahim~!

after some consideration i must say that im pretty impressed with the video features of this camera – one primarily geared towards high speed sports shooters who use teleconverters~! ? if the rumor mill proves to be true (again) canon may announce a 5d4 type model this year that is fairly videocentric (relatively speaking lol, no focus peaking of course)

I just wish they do the same for the 5D IV that I can afford and not cripple the video mode. 

hear hear!

Well Andrew you say you're not ready to sell your 1dc yet - but let's compare this to the 3+ year old 1dc.

I hated being stuck at only 24p for true 4k.  Sometimes I shoot things that move somewhat, so the DPAF will be light years ahead.  Lest we not forget 120 FPS in 1080p mode and the bump up in dynamic range, stills speed (at the sideline of a game I can get 16 fps in live view mode?  What?

Used 1dc's are still at least 4k.  Since I love the Canon portrait colors and don't care for the very limiting C-Log mode, at $5999 this is a bargain.  Going to have to sell my FS700 and pick this up.  Unless of course, a 5d IV with 8 FPS + 4k + a tilt/swivel touch screen + DPAF + 28MP is released.  Decisions, decisions...:)

Hey wait a minute - where's the 120 FPS 1080p mode???"?

$6000+ is a lot of coin for an 8bit camera in 2016. Looks like it could cost another $5000 for the c-log upgrade (1Dc MKII). A BMMCC, 5D with ML, or D500 with prores recorder would be better options.

Not if you shoot 50% stills and 50% video.  Nothing can touch this as an all arounder.  Nothing.

B&H lists this as "touchscreen".  Can that be right?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1220852-REG/canon_eos_1d_x_mark_ii.html

Mjpeg is way too OLD!Imagine to use it in the next fellowing 4-5 years ,that is insane!

confirmed specs:

4K is about 26.9×14.2mm crop, 1.3X to FF,but shoot 4K DCI standard,120P only can last 7min(BTW,even a 64GB CF card  can only  shoot 10min 120P ),and corp or no crop is still unknow!

No C-Log for sure!

No focus peaking neither!

I guess the more you pay, the less you get ?  Don started the list of features you don't get with:

No peaking.
No zebras.
No C-Log.
Only 1080p HDMI output.

Here are some more:

No built-in WiFi, needs $600 dongle.
No articulated screen.

I also have to say what is up with the tiny screen size on such a huge, heavy premium-priced camera?  The smallest cheapest smartphones have bigger screens than this monster.  With the amount of unused space on the back of this massive camera, Canon could of incorporated a much larger screen and still would of had plenty of space left over.

My little Panasonic G7 has peaking, zebras, 4K HDMI output, built-in WiFi and an articulated screen and costs only $750 with a kit lens, versus the Canon at $6K with no lens.  The G7 even comes with a high-res OLED viewfinder.  The Canon 1D X is a better stills camera and better in low light.  But with its high price (you can buy eight G7s with eight lenses for the cost of one 1D X body), the list of missing features on the Canon is disappointing.

I'm not sure I understand all the critics about this camera.

Is it, so far, the best photography camera for sport/event/nature photographer ?

My answer is yes.

Is there somewhere something on this price range (6000 USD) who can do at the same time (Cropped) 4K 60 fps and (a bit less cropped) 120 fps Full HD (not even the C300 MK2 don't do 60fps in 4K) and the sony 7SII is far away if we consider all the camera aspect (bitrate, battery life, solidity, lens availability, color science, autofocus...)

Not that I know of.

Yes, the footage will need to be converted if shooted in 4K, but according to the 2 statement below, I don't think it's so much an issue.

I also agree if the camera was doing 4 K all-I internally in 10 bit 4.2.2, have peaking and XLR input,... it will be the absolute winner, but come on, please, this is not so bad for now.

I completely see some photographer very happy to get sometime very nice 4 K footage during their photo work.

And again, Any video camera on this price range is not doing at all photography as this one does.

Thanks Canon!

Focus peaking isn't really needed given touch-screen PDAF. If PDAF-assisted manual focus is provided (as with C300 II), peaking is also not needed.

CFast 2.0, while (currently) expensive, rocks. Copying CFast 2.0 to the computer over USB3 is insanely fast. It's not possible to bend pins on CFast 2.0 as with CF.

If Adobe (or Apple) add GPU accelerated MJPEG support, MJPEG will be less of a bummer (real-time editing will be possible with no transcoding).

Why are people saying MJPEG is processor intensive? MJPEG has never been a processor intensive codec. It's just a bunch of jpegs (so it's an all-intra codec) together. My CPU doesn't peak playing back mjpeg files.

You guys sure it's not just your harddrive that can't read the files fast enough?